My first build! 1176 (and my first post!)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neily

Hey guys! I just completed my first serious build last night. (Hairball 1176 Mnats rev f) I'm really stoked about it. I'm a total newb, only made a little fuzz pedal before this project.
Anyways... I've been lurking around this board for a while so I figured I'd share it with you guys and say hello. Also want to thank Mike and Mako for making this project possible...

198978_10150132566514916_501719915_6437203_3629831_n.jpg

196646_10150132566049916_501719915_6437197_6233599_n.jpg

Ez1290s are next up! hehehe.

FWIW, this is "my take" on a Hairball 1176 blue-stripe that I completed for a friend/client:

http://www.brianroth.com/pix/aaron/hairball1176/

Best,

Bri

Brian Roth said:
FWIW, this is "my take" on a Hairball 1176 blue-stripe that I completed for a friend/client:

Best,

Bri

Brian, That looks amazing! So clean! I hope one day i could do work that well. Thanks for sharing that with me

Hey Brian... Beautiful job. How are you doing the meter light?  I don't see a resistor. Are those twisted wires inside of shrink tubing? 

Neily: I was picking up a LOT of noise when I had my meter light connected the way you do with untwisted wires. I actually ended up disconecting the meter light because I could not get it to work off the AC supply without adding hum.

bobine said:
Hey Brian... Beautiful job. How are you doing the meter light?  I don't see a resistor. Are those twisted wires inside of shrink tubing? 

Neily: I was picking up a LOT of noise when I had my meter light connected the way you do with untwisted wires. I actually ended up disconecting the meter light because I could not get it to work off the AC supply without adding hum.

Oh really?  I tried it with and without. I don't notice any noise. If it does start to do that that's the first thing I'll look into... Thanks.

Neily: Nice build man! I have always wanted to build one of those. Your wiring is really good for a first project. Glad to see its all working for you!

Brian: Very clean! I wish I would wire that tightly. I have no idea how that's done.

Insomniaclown said:
Neily: Nice build man! I have always wanted to build one of those. Your wiring is really good for a first project. Glad to see its all working for you!

Thanks man! Next time around I'm gonna try and wire a little tighter. Some are a little long. I just used mostly the suggested lengths on the wiring guide. Also left all the length on the output transformer as I was affraid of going to short lol. I'll be a little more confident with my next project...

bobine said:

Thanks for the kind remarks.  The dropping resistor for the VU meter bulb had not arrived when I took the pix, but I made prewire arrangements for it on the barrier screw block mounted to the side panel.  So, it was just a matter of crimping spade lugs onto the resistor and screwing it to the barrier block.  I had no problems with AC hum due to the VU lamp powering.

The black cable is Gepco 61801EZ, which is a 1-pair (22 gauge) with overall foil shield.  Belden 9451 is very similar.  In some cases, I merely cut the drain wire off at each end to use the cable run as a jacketed single pair.

Best,

Bri

brian, way to go man. where is that thumbs up sign for a very clean build.

Neily nice project for a first post you can take the time to clean it up with wire ties and such like brian did. It doesn't take much to make it look nice just some wire ties and some time.

Brian Roth said:

Best,

Bri

That looks beautiful man!

What caps did you replace with those Orange drops? I guess they're in the audio path?

johnnyscotch said:
That looks beautiful man!

What caps did you replace with those Orange drops? I guess they're in the audio path?

Thanks for the compliment!  My friend/client had already stuffed the PCB before I did the final assembly, and I believe the orange drops were some he already had on-hand and decided to use.

Best,

Bri

Latest posts

Back