State Variable Filter Design questions

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fenris said:
I got it to work! I had to do two things: 1. Replace C30 (the cap on the first integrator) with a very small value, 0.5 nf or smaller. 2. Bypass the first section of CR12 (the frequency control) so it's always 0 ohms.

I tried lowering the reistance of R104 (on the input of the first integrator), but if you lower the value too much, the circuit misbehaves and you get DC on the output. You can't remove or bypass the cap either.

Basically, you're fixing the LPF frequency above 20k. I'm not sure what would happen with an even smaller capacitor, it might cause misbehavior. A more elegant solution would be nice.

The result is a good sounding, sweepable, 2cd-order shelf. It has the same frequency range, and it can easily be made switchable. I still have to do some pink noise tests and try it with a Q pot. When I do I'll post the results.

I'm not sure that I completely follow your modifications and r104 is in a different bandpass section. Appears like you made it a 1 pole SVF instead of 2 pole.  While bench testing check that you don't get premature clipping in one of the other SVF sections. 

JR

Whoops! I meant R102, not R104.

Basically, the LPF is fixed at a very high frequency, so only the HPF is operational. I guess that makes it a 1 pole.

I'll do some pink noise and clipping tests after the console is moved & installed in our new location.

Another question.

For years I've wished for an electronically variable inductor for EQ circuits. Is it possible to use an inductor instead of a capacitor on the first integrator? Would the inductor go on the minus input of the opamp? Would I have to do the same thing on the second integrator, in order to get the LP and the HP to track frequency-wise?

Apparently, the capacitor on the first integrator is blocking DC and you can't remove it without getting DC in the output. Too small of a capacitor also causes instability. Can I substitute a larger capacitor elsewhere in the circuit?

Latest posts

Back