DAW Controlled Wireless Recording Lights

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glorymorris

One of the studios here in town asked me to design and build them some Pro-Tools controlled Recording lights for the studio lounge and entry way. Kind of a fun project, here are some pics of the on-site build. I used some of the code I developed for parsing HUI Commands for a moving fader Automation System I designed last year. Coupled with Zigbee wireless technology, we can now install as many lights in the studio as are desired and they automatically connect to the DAW.

I'll post some more pics as I wrap things up over here today and tomorrow.

Here's the breadboarded controller, and you can see the perfboard controller (unfinished) in the background. Not a whole lot of hardware involved, as you can see.

kevinkace said:
I want one!
I hadn't planned on making more than one system, but if you want one-- can do!

pucho812 said:
what if your recording to tape?

Well, in that case you'd have to set it up for the particular machine in use. The studio that asked me to design it is a Pro Tools HD only facility.

Love the recording light, well done.  I imagine you could sell these commercially.

glorymorris said:
I used some of the code I developed for parsing HUI Commands for a moving fader Automation System I designed last year.

Can you tell us more about this?

I posted about this in another forum topic about automation. I was asked to develop an automation system for the 5088 Console over a year ago. I developed it and they never bought it or contractually agreed to do so. There's more to the story than that, but it's an ugly story.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UspHkmytjo

In the above video, my prototype is tracking Pro Tools 9 via HUI protocol. I had to use my webcam in the laptop to shoot the video, so it's wobbly and low quality.

VERY INTERESTING,
how difficult would it be to implement that on, for  instance, an SSL 4K series console and make 2 layers one for audio and VCA only and the other one for HUI like the Duality has ?

Mattia.

It's a classic audio through fader design, so no VCA's and it operates under HUI control as it is. You could add vcas, but I'm not sure why you'd want to do that. My proto also uses opto mutes for maximum compatibility with any retrofit.

Are you asking if it could be made to work with SMPTE?

glorymorris said:
It's a classic audio through fader design, so no VCA's and it operates under HUI control as it is. You could add vcas, but I'm not sure why you'd want to do that. My proto also uses opto mutes for maximum compatibility with any retrofit.

Are you asking if it could be made to work with SMPTE?

Are you telling us you did an automation that could makes all the people working in the box the happiest people in the world ?
Would you sell the "brain" ?

Are you telling us you did an automation that could makes all the people working in the box the happiest people in the world ?
Would you sell the "brain" ?

Well, haha, I don't know about making everyone happy. You need a console to put the faders in after all, but yes I did design a ground-up moving fader automation system that uses no VCA's and is controlled by a DAW. The corporate interest that commissioned the design backed out and I own it now. I've been working on bringing it to market, but it's very expensive. The faders by themselves are quite costly.

I have decided to release the automation system under the Open Hardware license in September. More details in another thread soon.

My idea was more to build a summing box with fader and mute.
With the exception of the faders what others parts are costly ?
What uC/uP are you using ? Can you tell us a little bit more about the general architecture ?
Cheers

Niketouille said:
My idea was more to build a summing box with fader and mute.
With the exception of the faders what others parts are costly ?
What uC/uP are you using ? Can you tell us a little bit more about the general architecture ?
Cheers

When I decide it's time to release it under the Open Hardware license, more details will be available and you'll be able to build whatever you like with it.

I've been thinking of something exactly like this fader control for quite some time, but don't have the skills to implement it on my own.  DAW controlled "real" faders in my console?  Are you kidding me?!?  That would be awesome!

Cheers,
Zach

Very Nice. A couple questions:

Does it flash when in REC/READY?

Can you supply lamp fixtures with custom nomenclature? ie; RECORD A, RECORD B, RECORD C?

What are the distance limitations from transmitter to receiver, can you have a couple systems on dedicated channels, and can you have multiple transmitters for the same system?

Can they also work with GPI triggers instead of MIDI?

Appreciate it!

Cheers,
jonathan

Yes, it flashes in REC/READY.

I could probably supply other labels, but presently I'm just adding my circuitry to Judd Engineering's Signs.

Distance is technically about 300ft, but obviously there are specific indoor situations that will hamper that. I have one sign installed at Satellite Studio 60 ft away from the transmitter, two walls in between and one floor of separation and there are no problems whatsoever. I overpowered the transmitter intentionally to avoid range problems indoor.

Not even sure what a GPI Trigger is. It uses MIDI because it is controlled by the HUI Protocol. You add it to your DAW as a HUI Control Interface. You shouldn't need more than one system since it is a DigiMesh Network. You can hang as many signs as you like and they'll all synch up.

Here's a video (bottom of the page) of the sign flashing in REC/READY:
http://glorytron.com/2012/08/wireless-daw-controlled-recording-lights/

berkleystudios said:
very cool stuff man

Thanks, it was a lot of work.

Re: Other sign labels-- Judd engineering offers signs with different text. I'd be happy to add my circuitry to those signs, provided they were sent to me.

Back