Re: Neumann U47FET Clone: D-U47 FET Microphone Project PCB Build thread
« Reply #820 on: August 12, 2020, 09:20:42 PM »
I just purchased all of the bits and am excited to dive in!

What I wanted to know is if anyone can speak about it's SPL handling - I intent to use this mainly on kick drum.

Do I need to have any sort of attenuation pad?

Thank you in advance!

I built mine specifically for kick.  Using the pad jumper (or removing it--I forget which way it works) you'll be fine--even with heavy hitters (I use mine 2.5" in front of the front kick head--not inside it).  I love my mic. 

egroys

« Reply #821 on: August 13, 2020, 01:31:58 AM »
I built mine specifically for kick.  Using the pad jumper (or removing it--I forget which way it works) you'll be fine--even with heavy hitters (I use mine 2.5" in front of the front kick head--not inside it).  I love my mic.

Amazing! Thank you. Is there a way to make the pad more than -10db? And is there any loss in tone if I opt to do so?
The reason I ask is I find it to sound a lot juicier if I can crank my 1073 gain and -20 would allow me to do so!

« Reply #822 on: August 13, 2020, 09:12:17 AM »
Amazing! Thank you. Is there a way to make the pad more than -10db? And is there any loss in tone if I opt to do so?
The reason I ask is I find it to sound a lot juicier if I can crank my 1073 gain and -20 would allow me to do so!

I'm not a designer.  I'm sure there is a way, but I'd recommend you try it with the stock build first. 

RuudNL

« Reply #823 on: August 13, 2020, 09:35:47 AM »
Using a -20 dB pad (at 'normal' levels) will degrade the signal to noise ratio.
The electronics inside the microphone will produce the same amount of noise, but the signal level will be lower.
There is a solution for every problem!

http://www.vansteenisaudio.nl

egroys

« Reply #824 on: August 14, 2020, 02:21:32 AM »
Thank you for the heads up!

I finally went through and read all 42 pages of this thread! I saw recommendations for the SS22SDP2 switches for pad and that is exactly what I wanted.

I ordered a GT-2B body and Cinemag 13101 from Studio 939, I already have a BeesNeez K47, and I am ready for monster kick drums!

I saw Luka/Shot posted about the GT-2B body resonance. Curious if anyone has found a more permanent solution?

craigmorris74

« Reply #825 on: August 14, 2020, 10:00:15 AM »
I just purchased all of the bits and am excited to dive in!

What I wanted to know is if anyone can speak about it's SPL handling - I intent to use this mainly on kick drum.

Do I need to have any sort of attenuation pad?

Thank you in advance!

The circuit board has a spot for a  jumper that activates a pad in the mic.  It's pretty easy to try out and see if you need it or not.

egroys

« Reply #826 on: September 01, 2020, 02:25:13 AM »
Hi Luka, have you had any luck with a more permanent solution? I am about to start putting the PCBs in the the body when it comes later this week and would love to get it right on the first try.

Thank you in advance!

shot

« Reply #827 on: September 02, 2020, 07:38:32 PM »
No, I haven't yet! Not that I don't want to, but it will wait for a some time.
A good friend of mine is finishing building his studio and he already has some bookings, but he had no good vocal mic. He spent most of the money on bricks and mortar. So I borrowed my FET47 to him for next few months until he recoups and buys himself some mics.

:)

Luka

egroys

« Reply #828 on: September 03, 2020, 04:36:21 AM »
That's funny: I had completely forgotten that--without even listening first--I did A LOT of damping on that mic body with BluTack... enough that it's tricky to remove the barrel unless I'm careful.  I typically do this with all my large diaphragm mics, so I had kind of let it go out of the memory banks.   ESPECIALLY with a mic I'm going to stick right next to a LOUD kick drum, I don't want any energy storage or rattling from the mic body itself.  And yes--I used the GT-2B.
Makes sense! Would you mind sharing any photos or explaining more about how you dampened with the Blutack? I just ordered some to give this a shot.

Thank you !

egroys

« Reply #829 on: September 03, 2020, 06:50:51 PM »
Success! First mic build and it works off the bat. Still running some tests and still intent on dampening the inside a bit but so far so good!

I thought it would have more low end than it does. It takes SPL like a champ, both with and w/o pad, which is amazing.

Low end is solid but not super beefy. I checked that the LC is off. Is there anything I should check that may have been an error? Or any specific tests I can run to make sure everything is copacetic? I realize this is a noob question, but alas, that is me!

« Reply #830 on: September 04, 2020, 12:30:58 AM »
Anyone hear a significant difference between AML FET47 transformer vs there cheaper T49. I believe in the power of transformers but I’ve also had excellent results with their PCB mounted cheaper transformers.