Re: Neumann U67 Clone : D-U67 Tube Microphone Build Thread.
« Reply #1480 on: March 24, 2020, 10:16:34 PM »
What about Start with nothing just for the sake of a baseline  ;).
D.

Thank makes sense to me since I need to remove it first anyways. That being said, I think I may have jumped the gun. I was only 3-4 hour into burning in at that point, and now I’m around 8 and it’s already sounding so much different. Now I feel like the weird frequency bump that is happening is a little too much 100hz, which may even be the room. It’s still a little dark no doubt, but less so. I’m going to let it burn in a lot longer and then reasses this.

Update:
Definitely jumped the gun. It sounds fantastic. It sounds almost exactly like the D-U87 but creamier and just "better" somehow.

One thing:
If I test all 3 polar patterns about 15 inches away this is what I hear. Cardioid sound brilliant. Figure 8 has a little less volume and seems to be missing some of the high end. Omni seems to be missing some volume and missing the low end. I went in a made sure wires weren't touching leads and tried to clean up the hi-z section a bit but nothing changed. Any ideas?

« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 11:29:31 PM by FarisElek »

« Reply #1481 on: March 26, 2020, 05:28:03 PM »
Here is a test run through the D-U67. Guitar recorded about 8 inches away from 12th fret and vocals recorded about 8 inches away as well. Both in cardioid. The preamp is Capi VP28 with HPF set on 80hz -6db.  No other processing. I cut it short because I don't know Portuguese and stumble too hard on the other parts of the song. I figure this enough to get an idea what the mic sounds like. The tube after about 14 hours of burning in is sounding nicer and nicer and I don't think I'm going to need to mess with c17 anymore. What do y'all think?

Ryan

https://soundcloud.com/user-368056288/u67-test

« Reply #1482 on: March 26, 2020, 07:43:49 PM »
Here is a test run through the D-U67. Guitar recorded about 8 inches away from 12th fret and vocals recorded about 8 inches away as well. Both in cardioid. The preamp is Capi VP28 with HPF set on 80hz -6db.  No other processing. I cut it short because I don't know Portuguese and stumble too hard on the other parts of the song. I figure this enough to get an idea what the mic sounds like. The tube after about 14 hours of burning in is sounding nicer and nicer and I don't think I'm going to need to mess with c17 anymore. What do y'all think?

Ryan

https://soundcloud.com/user-368056288/u67-test
Sounds nice...sounds right. Of course the vocal is very mellow so it doesn’t stress the mic too much. With louder vocals you’ll get a better idea about the c17 cap...something that sounds perfect with low dynamics might be strident if you hit it harder.

« Reply #1483 on: March 26, 2020, 11:56:25 PM »
Thank you purplsenoise for the help! I will experiment with a louder voice. I had my partner sing on through it last night and she got pretty loud and I thought it sounded fantastic, but maybe dark. For now I think it’s perfect. Thank you poctop for the research and PCB. I used to tell myself I’d never have an API board and a u67 to make my homestudio worthwhile and now I have both because of some hard work and the help of the groupdiy.

« Reply #1484 on: March 27, 2020, 10:31:12 PM »
Thank you purplsenoise for the help! I will experiment with a louder voice. I had my partner sing on through it last night and she got pretty loud and I thought it sounded fantastic, but maybe dark. For now I think it’s perfect. Thank you poctop for the research and PCB. I used to tell myself I’d never have an API board and a u67 to make my homestudio worthwhile and now I have both because of some hard work and the help of the groupdiy.
You are very welcome, I ve gotten tons of help from a few members ( and I still do) building my 67’s. I wish someday I’ll get up to their level of expertise...as of now I am still a newbie haha. I am building a 251 now and boy the psu is kickin my arse...