Fairchild 670 Solid State Concept

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
abbey road d enfer said:
I can assure you that you get it wrong; the cathode voltage follows the grid voltage. Any serious vacuum tube book will tell you that.
For any other tube device I know (Not that many, but still a few), you and the books are of course right, and I had a hard time to believe it myself, but it seems to me that the fairchild might be the one exception.
Anyway, let us put the case to rest, since nobody else seems to be interested in it.  :)

Best Tobias

Cathode follow grid...cathode follower, ever heard of it. Source follow gate, emitter follow base. The day that changes, will be the day the earth spin backwards.

I STAND CORRECTED!
Sorry for the bullshit I wrote, I measured again and this time everything looks like it should.
Since it is the 660 cathode circuit, the voltage on the cathode changes quite a bit during gain reduction, but it really follows the grid and nothing else!
And the grid voltage is just the rectified voltage after the transformer and nothing else!
I do not know what I measured the first time, but it was wrong.

And if you truely understand the cathode circuit...thumping can be eliminated.

Hi Analag

On the subject of eliminating thump by improved cathode circuit design, I believe you used that in your Poorman 660 Limiter.

After >1yr of frequent use (with no issues at all  8) I find the Poorman 660 to *really* be with no thump at all  ;)

Would you care to elaborate any on that design aspect?

I think it is the transistor in the cathode ciruit which does the job. It is a constant voltage sink or so?

Any clarification would be welcome.

Cheers

alexc said:
Hi Analag

On the subject of eliminating thump by improved cathode circuit design, I believe you used that in your Poorman 660 Limiter.

After >1yr of frequent use (with no issues at all  8) I find the Poorman 660 to *really* be with no thump at all  ;)

Would you care to elaborate any on that design aspect?

I think it is the transistor in the cathode ciruit which does the job. It is a constant voltage sink or so?

Any clarification would be welcome.

Cheers

Which is one of the reasons I never made the circuit public.  Anyway improvements were made to it in the Monsterchild 670.

Latest posts

Back