Whats up with multisection electro cans?Why not just a few regular electro?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buildafriend

I've seen the big multisection cans inside older units, and maybe even once or twice in some newer ones.

Why use these? for example: http://www.tubesandmore.com/products/C-EC40-20X3-500

Just one hole in the chassis instead of 4, and room saving in point-to-point layout, I guess. also, there's only one ground connexion for the 4 section, wich may be convenient and reduce ground bus resistance in PSU layout. I don't see anything else, as I don't think that performances can be better.

Laurent.

they last hecka long, brah,

and some sound real good,

any cap with blue shrink wrap seems to sound good, phillips, sprague atom, LLC , thats the blue one in the back o Marshall stuff,

metal can will stay at chassis temperature

heat is a filter cap's worst enema,

can i say that?

spell check on asile 5

buildafriend said:
I've seen the big multisection cans inside older units, and maybe even once or twice in some newer ones.

Why use these?
The only real advantage is they take one hole insted of three or four. They are not structurally better or worse than individual caps. The fact they have only one negative tag is a potential problem, mixing dirty ground with relatively clean ground.
Also all remote grounds must be connected via a bus or wires to the unique tag, inserting non negligeable resistance in the ground path, which is not good for decoupling and interstage noise. In VT equipment, due to the relatively benign operating currents, it is not an issue. In SS power amps, it is a serious issue, which has prohibited the use (and thus manufacturing) of multiple high-value caps.

zillions installed on old TV chassis,

Zenith, Motorola, Curtis Mathis, RCA, General Electric, those old sets had so many tubes that you could use them for space heaters, made the 670 look like punk meat, sometimes the plastic would melt on the cheap models, so mass production and heat shielding are the main reasons,

people died in Chicago when they switched to solid state because their TV sets no longer provided the "light bulb in the hamster cage" effect, wtf, over?

you could trade sex for a Curtis Mathis color console, TV, Turntable, Radio, kick ass speakers and nice woodwork, I know a hooker in Portland who...jus sayin...

now if you could get four burritos in one tortilla, you could have a chicken supreme, carne asada, vegan possum and carnitas all rolled into one big gut bomb, hold the sour cream,

anybody remember the Hmmmmm song by Martin Mull?

Back