best 1073 DIY 500 series module?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drew571

So, it seems like there are an awful lot of attempts to get the 1073 pre down, and being a relative newcomer to the 500 DIY scene, I'm wondering what your opinions are on what the best 1073 clones are? 

thanks!

I have nothing to compare against, but the Sound Skulptor MP573 sound f'n awesome. Call me lazy, but I am tired of buying PCB's or partial kits and then spending half my life trying to source parts from all over the world and the shipping costs for 5 different shipments for the required parts ends up costing me a ridiculous sum. The MP573's are a complete kit, you just need your basic tools and solder, they come with fantastic instructions, follow them and you cant go wrong. I have built 5 units now, all working first time without a hitch and about to order another 3.
Michael

I put together a couple of the 573 sound sculpter kits for a friend , COMPLETE , good instructions
good quality & excellent sound , not cheap but waay less than a real neve , check the white market here
the seventh circle stuff " looks  " good but their format may prevent people from buying them , not 500 type

Thanks for the replies.  Here's my predicament.  I have some of the classic API VP26 pre's which sound great.  I have a Steinberg UR824 that has great pre's and great conversion.  And I have a Yamaha PM1000 32 channel board that was just given to me.  I was thinking about getting a few of these preamps racked and redone, but was wondering whether it would actually be worth it or not given the pre's I already have. 

Has anyone heard the sound skulptor pre's vs. a real 1073 for comparison?  Is the added investment for a neve pre justified given the pre's I already have?  In other words, if you have API and a clean Pre, will the Neve offer something substantially more or different?

Drew. 

drew571 said:
Thanks for the replies.  Here's my predicament.  I have some of the classic API VP26 pre's which sound great.  I have a Steinberg UR824 that has great pre's and great conversion.  And I have a Yamaha PM1000 32 channel board that was just given to me.  I was thinking about getting a few of these preamps racked and redone, but was wondering whether it would actually be worth it or not given the pre's I already have. 

Drew.

I would keep the pm1000 as a whole and not gut it. Can easily add direct outs and other mods. would give it more value

direct outs would be an easier cheaper mod for sure  , If you have the space for it ,
For the neves  , Do you need more different pres and can you afford to spend the money ?

If I sell the PM1000 then I'd have that money.  I have the money to redo probably a few channels of the PM1000.  When you talk about it being an easy mod for the PM1000 channels, how easy are we talking about?  And where would the direct out be put?  Would I have to drill holes in the back on the console?  And then I wouldn't be getting the color from the output transformers, correct?

drew571 said:
Has anyone heard the sound skulptor pre's vs. a real 1073 for comparison?  Is the added investment for a neve pre justified given the pre's I already have?  In other words, if you have API and a clean Pre, will the Neve offer something substantially more or different?

I have never used or heard the SS 573, but I imagine the difference between it and a "real" 1073 (scare quotes because it's become unclear what that means with the modern AMS-Neve versions) will not be substantial in your setup.

I'm about to say some things that could sound really condescending, but I assure you they're meant kindly and come from experience. Have you ever A/B'ed different (high-quality) mic preamps in a controlled listening environment? Have you done it blind? Have you spent so much time tracking with some preamps that when you worked with something else you actually felt like there was a world of difference? Have you made the best recording you could with great musicians and good gear, but felt at the end of the process that there was a tiny 1% missing that you couldn't get from your current gear? If so, yes, the Neves will offer something substantially different from what you have; the difference between the 573s and 1073s may even be very important to you.

Sometimes you buy or build a new piece of gear and you love it right away. Other times you're disappointed, because the thing is just after all a preamp with ever-so-slightly different THD and transient response specs from the other pre's you have and everything that goes through it doesn't turn to gold after all. My guess is that, until you've put your CAPIs, Yamahas, and Steinbergs through their paces and still yearned for just a touch of different color on the way in, the 1073s will fall in the latter camp.

Meathands said:
drew571 said:

I have never used or heard the SS 573, but I imagine the difference between it and a "real" 1073 (scare quotes because it's become unclear what that means with the modern AMS-Neve versions) will not be substantial in your setup.

I'm about to say some things that could sound really condescending, but I assure you they're meant kindly and come from experience. Have you ever A/B'ed different (high-quality) mic preamps in a controlled listening environment? Have you done it blind? Have you spent so much time tracking with some preamps that when you worked with something else you actually felt like there was a world of difference? Have you made the best recording you could with great musicians and good gear, but felt at the end of the process that there was a tiny 1% missing that you couldn't get from your current gear? If so, yes, the Neves will offer something substantially different from what you have; the difference between the 573s and 1073s may even be very important to you.

Sometimes you buy or build a new piece of gear and you love it right away. Other times you're disappointed, because the thing is just after all a preamp with ever-so-slightly different THD and transient response specs from the other pre's you have and everything that goes through it doesn't turn to gold after all. My guess is that, until you've put your CAPIs, Yamahas, and Steinbergs through their paces and still yearned for just a touch of different color on the way in, the 1073s will fall in the latter camp.

I think you're right, and I'd rather be making music right now than working on direct outs for preamps....  :)  I hate to get rid of such a cool looking board though!  If I had a bigger studio I'd keep it...

Latest posts

Back