Opinions on capacitor brands in mic builds.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgronroos

Hi Guys,

I would like your opinions on the relative qualities of different brands of (mainly output) capacitors in mic builds.

As I have been scanning the threads with your fine builds, I have seen various choices in caps.
Having no experience in what subtle differences to listen for in capacitors, I would like to ask you in the knowing why you have made your choices of caps.

For instance in C12 builds, some designs use the white Sprague, some the green Russian PIO and some the Chinese JB JFX caps.
Is there a reason for this? Are there real/significant tonal differences which lead to these choices based upon preference and primary use of the mic?
Or is it really just because of what is available in your country at reasonable cost?

I have been hunting down a few different caps and will make some test as I progress with my builds.
But I would really value the input of the community from those of you who have made tests, and what your subjective opinions are.

Cheers,
Michael

Attachments

• Caps.jpg
    Caps.jpg
    926.3 KB · Views: 87
I'm using that green Russian PIO. I went with that because PIO is the most "authentic" type for a C12 output cap. As far as I know, the vintage AKGs used paper in oil for that spot. I did not notice an obvious, immediate sound difference compared to the Erse cap I had in it before the swap.

Large topic! IMO! I prefer the sound of older technology caps like PIO and polystyrene. But they are not faster nor do they have better specs when it comes to the newer so called audiophile caps like silver and gold etc.... Experiment you will see that they all sound different. Better or worse is to subjective and of great eternal debate.

Type of dielectric material of caps affects on sound. PIO has more harmonic distortion than film caps, but highs are more comfortable and soft.  In some cases it is not bad, but if you like more linear sound with a lot of clean high frequences , MKT or MKP caps are more acceptable sound. In my opinion,modern PIO and PIW (paper in wax) caps are much better than old PIO caps and any film cap. Main minus of PIO caps- they are too bulky.

Very interesting input! This is really the kind of discussion I was hoping for.

I am also using the Russian PIO like you, Melodeath00, for my matched pair of C12 builds.
It may be an interesting test to change the cap in one of them and make/post some samples to check the differences.

For the D-251 I am using the white 3.0uF from poctop's BOM. I may try something more here too. Maybe a JB.
Hard to find caps that can handle high voltages that fit the Alctron body from Chunger though.

Speaking of audiophile caps, Pip, I have seen a lot of Mundorf caps in high end audio gear, but not so far in mic builds.
Is there a reason for this? Size, cost or maybe that the right values are not available?

Very interesting point, o3misha! MKT, MKP or Modern PIW caps may very well be the right choice if the main usage for the mic is contemporary chart/dance/club music.
As for myself, we make mostly contemporary music, and we are not always after the absolute historically accurate vintage sound in a mic.
Maybe PIW caps may be the right way to go here on some recordings/vocalists.

Also to consider, maybe the PIO caps can be used to smooth out the top end of a chinese capsule from mparts, Peluso etc?

The Manley Ref C I am using to test and burn in tubes has a flat Multicorp cap (3.0uF +/-10%, 200V, PPMFX305K2R).
Has anyone tried these?

I have also seen Chinese red "AudioPhiler" caps out there, but decided to try the JB's first before buying more caps.. ;)
I would love some more suggestions on brands to test!

This is not an absolute science, but I do think subjective opinions are all equally valuable here!
We want different things from our mics, we use them for different purposes and we use different parts.
There's however a great chance that we can build up a base of collective knowledge and opinions, so keep your thoughts coming!

Cheers,
Michael 

Melodeath00 said:
I'm using that green Russian PIO. I went with that because PIO is the most "authentic" type for a C12 output cap.  I did not notice an obvious, immediate sound difference compared to the Erse cap I had in it before the swap.

Which sound do you prefer, and do you think one of them sounded more like the vintage mic?

Thanks in advance (sorry for the late inquiry),

Terry

This guy tried to make it scientific:

http://conradhoffman.com/cap_measurements_100606.html

I found his oscilloscope graphs interesting and useful in choosing which dielectric to avoid...

Latest posts

Back