Donald trump. what is your take on him?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DaveP said:
These are the people I hope Trump helps:-
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-39122283

Their faces have that terrible pinched look that used to be on the faces of people in the 30's
At the risk of sounding partisan, Baltimore has been under uninterrupted democratic governance for 50 years.

President trump has promised to help poor inner city residents, but he has made a lot of promises that will be difficult.  It is clear that changes need to be made. There may be some way to include some support for these declining cities when the sanctuary city refusal to support federal law gets addressed.  This won't be simple but it is unthinkable to not try to help these cities reform. Chicago is the poster boy for inner city violence, but there are a number of cities in the same or similar boat (like Baltimore).
I have seen footage of American workers after WW2, thousands of women making tubes at GE, RCA, Tung-Sol and Sylvania.  Guys building trucks and cars.  Globalisation and foreign competition has taken all that away.

Every country should retain the ability to feed itself, build it's infrastructure and heavy goods.  It has shown a complete lack of joined up thinking that jobs have been exported whilst leaving the government and taxpayers to pick up the tab for the benefit payments for poor folks like these in the video.  You may have to pay a little more for your goods to give these people jobs, but in theory the benefits bill should go down in proportion.

If Trump can achieve this in the next four years then he will have done something worthwhile.

DaveP
Not to be a wet blanket but be careful about (too) simple answers to complex problems... increased import tariffs (border tax) will not be supportive to trade and economic growth. The arguments that dollar will adjust (up), ignores how much that will erode exports.

I remain optimistic that it will not be hard to improve upon the last administration's economic policy, but the legislative clock is running and budget/debt ceiling discussions will be an impediment to tax reform and ACA repeal/replace. 

JR

JohnRoberts said:
The guy was such a loser than he killed an indian software engineer, and nobody bothers to mention the american bystander who tried to apprehend the shooter and was also wounded.

Nobody mentions the bystander hero? People do John, a lot of people do.

This isn't brain surgery; you just have to ask yourself if Trump has used rhetoric that encourages white-looking Americans to protect Muslim-looking people from assault, or if Trump's rhetoric vilified Muslims. If you're honest you'll acknowledge that difference. And that difference is what the story is about. Everybody knows there are millions and millions of absolutely awesome Americans - white Americans - that would protect others. That's not the point.

JohnRoberts said:
It is not remotely fair to blame any president for the actions of all 300 million citizens.  We can study the numbers over time but it is still a little early. I believe President Obama make race relations worse in the US but i suspect opinions vary about that too.

JR

That's a ridiculous argument. I'll again just point out that Obama NEVER to my knowledge said the things Trump said about Muslims about Christians. NEVER. Nor did he vilify Americans the way Trump vilified Mexicans. NEVER.

JohnRoberts said:
PS: I thought it was clever how the Iranian movie producer didn't attend the ceremony using the travel ban as his excuse, to all but guarantee that he would win so the academy could take another shot at embarrassing the current administration.

If that's how you think the Academy works... well... I'm sure all the blacks got their awards because they were black as well....

DaveP said:
These are the people I hope Trump helps:-
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-39122283

Their faces have that terrible pinched look that used to be on the faces of people in the 30's

I have seen footage of American workers after WW2, thousands of women making tubes at GE, RCA, Tung-Sol and Sylvania.  Guys building trucks and cars.  Globalisation and foreign competition has taken all that away.

Every country should retain the ability to feed itself, build it's infrastructure and heavy goods.  It has shown a complete lack of joined up thinking that jobs have been exported whilst leaving the government and taxpayers to pick up the tab for the benefit payments for poor folks like these in the video.  You may have to pay a little more for your goods to give these people jobs, but in theory the benefits bill should go down in proportion.

If Trump can achieve this in the next four years then he will have done something worthwhile.

DaveP

I don't entirely disagree.

mattiasNYC said:
If that's how you think the Academy works... well... I'm sure all the blacks got their awards because they were black as well....
You don't remember last year when Will Smith, Jada Pinkett, Spike Lee and others boycotted (#oscarssowhite ) in protest because they didn't win anything. Coincidentally last night I watched the Will Smith movie "After Earth" and that surely didn't deserve any award.  :p

Nah they are not PC motivated. (sarcasm)  ::) 

JR

JohnRoberts said:
You don't remember last year when Will Smith, Jada Pinkett, Spike Lee and others boycotted (#oscarssowhite ) in protest because they didn't win anything.

If your view on the US' problematic race relations are as you imply above then I truly feel sorry for you. If you can't tell the difference between those people not attending because of the lack of GENERAL diversity and on the other hand them being purely selfish then that tells a world of what you think of "those people"... and 'yeah', given the context that sure is a euphemism.

JohnRoberts said:
Coincidentally last night I watched the Will Smith movie "After Earth" and that surely didn't deserve any award.  :p

Yeah, because it was a turd. But again, you'd have to be deluded if you think they didn't attend because they weren't nominated. On top of that After Earth was released in 2013, not 2016.

But facts don't really matter these days, so whatever.

JohnRoberts said:

JR

Black people win awards because they're black. Got it.

I bet Obama becoming the president was the ultimate affirmative action. No wonder whites revolted in this years election.

Do you have any broader brushes to paint with? Do they even exist?

mattiasNYC said:
If your view on the US' problematic race relations are as you imply above then I truly feel sorry for you. If you can't tell the difference between those people not attending because of the lack of GENERAL diversity and on the other hand them being purely selfish then that tells a world of what you think of "those people"... and 'yeah', given the context that sure is a euphemism.
no need to put words in my mouth, I said what I said.
Yeah, because it was a turd. But again, you'd have to be deluded if you think they didn't attend because they weren't nominated. On top of that After Earth was released in 2013, not 2016.
Didn't say I saw it in a theater.  I kind of like the characters that Will Smith played for decades. I don't care for how self-important the hollywood elite can get. It isn't a race or rich issue, just a distorted perspective many famous people suffer from. 
But facts don't really matter these days, so whatever.
apparently don't matter to some....
Black people win awards because they're black. Got it.
stop trying to put words in my mouth... you should be able to do better than that with all your experience arguing, and me speaking freely.
I bet Obama becoming the president was the ultimate affirmative action. No wonder whites revolted in this years election.
No but it checked off a box that even made me proud of my country. If the 2016 election was a racial revolt president Obama wouldn't have been elected for two terms. Hillary was hoping that checking off the female president box would propel her into office. It is a testament to how bad of a candidate she is that she lost with all that momentum and historical significance she enjoyed. 
Do you have any broader brushes to paint with? Do they even exist?
Not as broad as you apparently, but good try on your part.

JR

PS I am losing track of my pejorative identity in this "identity politics" scrum. Am I a racist? white supremacist? or misogynist? (rhetorical, I know you think I am all three, and probably more... maybe a nazi too?).

No but it checked off a box that even made me proud of my country. If the 2016 election was a racial revolt president Obama wouldn't have been elected for two terms. Hillary was hoping that checking off the female president box would propel her into office. It is a testament to how bad of a candidate she is that she lost with all that momentum and historical significance she enjoyed. 
This sums up the situation succinctly, I could not agree more.......I was proud of America too.

DaveP

JohnRoberts said:
no need to put words in my mouth, I said what I said. Didn't say I saw it in a theater.  I kind of like the characters that Will Smith played for decades. I don't care for how self-important the hollywood elite can get. It isn't a race or rich issue, just a distorted perspective many famous people suffer from.  apparently don't matter to some....stop trying to put words in my mouth... you should be able to do better than that with all your experience arguing, and me speaking freely.

You "speaking freely" is probably the problem. I'll make it easy for you and everyone else to understand... look:

JohnRoberts said:
You don't remember last year when Will Smith, Jada Pinkett, Spike Lee and others boycotted (#oscarssowhite ) in protest because they didn't win anything.

Except Will Smith said:

""I think that diversity is the American superpower," Smith said, praising the "beautiful American gumbo" before arguing that Hollywood should reflect the country's diverse makeup. "I think that I have to protect and fight for the ideals that make our country and make our Hollywood community great."

According to Smith, the lack of diverse Oscar nominations are a microcosm of systemic inequalities impacting America as a whole.

'When I look at it, the nominations reflect the Academy. The Academy reflects the industry, reflects Hollywood and then the industry reflects America. It reflects a series of challenges that we are having in our country at the moment.

There's a regressive slide towards separatism, towards racial and religious disharmony and that's not the Hollywood that I want to leave behind. That's not the industry, that's not the America I want to leave behind.'

Smith claimed that his and Jada's boycott goes beyond his personal Oscars snub.

"There's probably a part of that in there but, for Jada, had I been nominated and no other people of color were, she would have made the video anyway," he said. "We'd still be here having this conversation. This is so deeply not about me.""

You seemingly dismiss the concerns of black entertainers and rather than take them seriously you attribute their protesting to pure selfish greed. Do you really not see why brown people might have a problem with that???

And as if that wasn't enough:

JohnRoberts said:

You know how sarcasm works, right? Ironic sarcasm is stating one thing and meaning the opposite. You say it's NOT PC motivated and then claim it is sarcasm, which means you mean the opposite, which is that it WAS PC motivated.

Again; do you really not understand how bad the above looks???

Either way I see you complain about being misunderstood, but I don't see you clearly explaining just what you meant.

I am not sure that you actually misunderstand me, and I am not too worried about that.

Wealthy actors whining about awards is not important IMO. The real discrimination is not getting hired and not being paid, but entertainment generally reflects the broader popular culture (awards shows a somewhat more narrow elitist culture)

If we look in the wayback machine (my dad worked at Vitaphone way back), one of the earliest sound pictures "the Jazz Singer"  involved a white jewish singer performing in black face.

In birth of a nation (1915) they showed white actors  playing KKK beating up other white actors in black face. Now that is really something worth complaining about (couldn't even get the acting job to be beat up). 

Due to segregation there were all black reviews, and in 1928 Blackbird an all black review for white audiences (some black performers like Robinson were widely popular across racial lines) . But the all black reviews fell out of favor in the 1930s. Performers like Robinson played cliche stereotypical roles in later movies. In many films there would be some plot stretch with an excuse to involve black performers singing and or dancing (I watch lots of old movies). 

In 1936 Fred Astaire performed in blackface (Swingtime) as an apparent tribute to Bill "Bojangles" Robinson (actually the song was inspired by Bojangles dance style), while a bigger tribute would be letting Robinson perform it himself. (Robinson performed in many films and earned $2M over his lifetime but died broke, probably another story there).

There was real discrimination over our past history, but our cultural norms have shifted dramatically from the overt racism of the past. I live in MS where white northern civil rights workers were killed and buried under an earthen dam (before I lived here so don't get ideas), with other high profile racially inspired violence. MS is the modern go to poster boy for iconic racism, but that was all several decades ago. I have seen some tiny evidence of residual racism mostly disappearing in the 3+ decades I have lived down here. I still occasionally push back against at least one neighbor who is not quite with the modern sensibilities, yet.  The worst racism I ever personally experienced was some white rednecks in a bar in Cambridge, MA (back in the 60s). I did encounter one actual KKK guy in a house party in GA (last century), but as I recall he was asked to leave, certainly not invited back.  Stone Mtn GA is where the modern KKK were founded. Just like modern Germany is very sensitive to anti-semitism, MS is sensitive to its racial past and probably better today than many other regions of the country. 

Recently I see more identity warfare stirring up racial enmity to gain political influence than true racial division, but pouring fuel on the embers will not put out that fire..

Of course opinions will vary.

JR

Trump's anti Obama tweet:
122 vicious prisoners, released by the Obama Administration from Gitmo, have returned to the battlefield. Just another terrible decision!

113 out of 122 were released by GWB.
Chronic lies from the President of the US.

dmp said:
Trump's anti Obama tweet:
113 out of 122 were released by GWB.
Chronic lies from the President of the US.
The last number I heard was that 30% had returned to the battlefield. Another released detainee was just killed in Yemen, he was released in 2009.

I suspect some will dispute the percentages of recidivism. 

Parsing Trump's tweets for literal accuracy will keep the fact checkers employed, while also changing the subject.  I hope President trump grows weary of twitter eventually.

JR

Of course the accusations are flying in every direction in D.C.. The latest Donald Trump saying that President Obama spied on him, ordered the listening of his telephone conversations. Now joining us to talk about these allegations is Larry Wilkerson.

Larry joins us from Falls Church, Virginia. Larry was the former Chief of Staff for U.S. Secretary of State Colin Powell. Currently an Adjunct Professor of Goverment at the College of Willam and Mary and a regular contributor to The Real News Network.

(discussion)

PAUL JAY: So, Larry what do you make of these allegations? Most of the media seems to be saying Trump is alleging this in order to distract from the real controversy, which they say his and his administration’s connections to Putin and Russia. What do you make of Trump’s allegations?

LARRY WILKERSON: Well, I’m certainly not one, Paul, to defend HMS Trump and that whole entourage of people, but I will paint you a hypothetical here. There are a number of events that have occurred in the last 96 hours or so that lead me to believe that maybe even the Democratic party, whatever element of it, approached John Brennan at the CIA, maybe even the former president of the United States. And John Brennan, not wanting his fingerprints to be on anything, went to his colleague in London GCHQ, MI6 and essentially said, “Give me anything you’ve got.” And he got something and he turned it over to the DNC or to someone like that. And what he got was GHCQ MI6’s tapes of conversations of the Trump administration perhaps, even the President himself. It’s really kind of strange, at least to me, they let the head of that organization go, fired him about the same time this was brewing up. So I’m not one to defend Trump, but in this case he might be right. It’s just that it wasn’t the FBI. Comey’s right, he wasn’t wire-tapping anybody, it was John Brennan, at the CIA. And you say, “What would be John Brennan’s motivation?” Well, clearly he wanted to remain Director of the CIA for Hillary Clinton when she was elected President of the United States, which he had every reason to believe, as did lots of us, that she would be.

PAUL JAY: Now, Larry, do we have any evidence of this? Is this like a theory or is there some evidence?

LARRY WILKERSON: Well, it’s a theory that’s making its way around some in the intelligence community right now because they know about the relationship between the CIA and the same sort of capabilities, maybe not quite as vast as the NSA has, but still good capabilities that exist in London. I mean, otherwise the president just came out and said something was patently false. Generally speaking, you know, I would agree with that, with regard to this particular individual, but not in this case.

http://www.nakedcapitalism.com/2017/03/empire-in-decay-as-trump-spying-allegations-fly.html

"I think the president is absolutely right. His phone calls, everything he did electronically, was being monitored," Bill Binney, a 36-year veteran of the National Security Agency who resigned in protest from the organization in 2001, told Fox Business on Monday.

Everyone's conversations are being monitored and stored, Binney said.

Binney also told Sean Hannity's radio show earlier Monday, "I think the FISA court's basically totally irrelevant." The judges on the FISA court are "not even concerned, nor are they involved in any way with the Executive Order 12333 collection," Binney said during the radio interview. "That's all done outside of the courts. And outside of the Congress."

Binney also told Fox the laws that fall under the FISA court's jurisdiction are "simply out there for show" and "trying to show that the government is following the law, and being looked at and overseen by the Senate and House intelligence committees and the courts."

"That's not the main collection program for NSA," Binney said.

What Binney did not delve into, however, was if Obama directed surveillance on Trump for political purposes during the campaign, a core accusation of Trump's. But Binney did say events such as publication of details of private calls between President Trump and the Australian prime minister, as well as with the Mexican president, are evidence the intelligence community is playing hardball with the White House.

"I think that's what happened here," Binney told Fox. "The evidence of the conversation of the president of the U.S., President Trump, and the [prime minister] of Australia and the president of Mexico. Releasing those conversations. Those are conversations that are picked up by the FAIRVIEW program, primarily, by NSA."

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-03-07/former-nsa-whistleblower-trump-absolutely-right-everything-was-being-monitored

Computer experts discovered a link between a server registered to the Trump organization and two servers registered to the Alfa Bank in Moscow, a bank that is part of the Alfa conglomerate discussed in FTR #’s 530 and 573.

In the Foer piece, and in attempted discrediting articles of same, it is apparent that the investigators do not understand the nature of the entity they are investigating. The journalistic “spin” put on Alfa in the coverage is “Russia/Putin/Kremlin” new Cold War context. Alfa is very, very different.

In FTR #’s 530, 573 we examnined the nature of Alfa’s history, operations and institutional and economic foundations. It is anything BUT “Kremlin/Putin/Russia.”

It appears to be Underground Reich, all the way, with evidentiary tributaries running in the direction of: the Iran-Contra scandal; the Iraqgate scandal; the oil-for-food scam vis a vis Iraq; malfeasanace by a coterie of GOP bigwigs including Dick Cheney and others close to George W. Bush, and Haley Barbour; money-laundering by powerful international drug syndicates; Chechen warlords and drug-trafficking syndicates; the Royal family of Liechtenstein; the Bank al-Taqwa (which helped finance al-Qaeda); the Marc Rich operations; Eastern European and Russian associates of Wolfgang Bohringer, one of Mohamed Atta’s close associates in South Florida; and the Carl Duisberg Fellowship, which brought Mohamed Atta to Germany from Egypt and may have helped him into the U.S.

The program highlights major aspects of the investigation into the Alfa/Trump link:

The Trump/Alfa link was not a malware attack, as some of the computer scientists initially thought: ” . . . . The researchers quickly dismissed their initial fear that the logs represented a malware attack. The communication wasn’t the work of bots. The irregular pattern of server lookups actually resembled the pattern of human conversation—conversations that began during office hours in New York and continued during office hours in Moscow. It dawned on the researchers that this wasn’t an attack, but a sustained relationship between a server registered to the Trump Organization and two servers registered to an entity called Alfa Bank. . . .”

The set-up was highly unusual: ” . . . . The researchers had initially stumbled in their diagnosis because of the odd configuration of Trump’s server. ‘I’ve never seen a server set up like that,’ says Christopher Davis, who runs the cybersecurity firm HYAS InfoSec Inc. and won a FBI Director Award for Excellence for his work tracking down the authors of one of the world’s nastiest botnet attacks. ‘It looked weird, and it didn’t pass the sniff test.’ The server was first registered to Trump’s business in 2009 and was set up to run consumer marketing campaigns. It had a history of sending mass emails on behalf of Trump-branded properties and products. Researchers were ultimately convinced that the server indeed belonged to Trump. (Click here to see the server’s registration record.) But now this capacious server handled a strangely small load of traffic, such a small load that it would be hard for a company to justify the expense and trouble it would take to maintain it. ‘I get more mail in a day than the server handled,’ Davis says. . . .”
The article details more unusual aspects of the link: ” . . . . That wasn’t the only oddity. When the researchers pinged the server, they received error messages. They concluded that the server was set to accept only incoming communication from a very small handful of IP addresses. . . . Eighty-seven percent of the DNS lookups involved the two Alfa Bank servers. ‘It’s pretty clear that it’s not an open mail server,’ Camp told me. ‘These organizations are communicating in a way designed to block other people out.’ . . . .”

Paul Vixie–one of the premier experts in the field–felt the connection was highly unusual: ” . . . . Earlier this month, the group of computer scientists passed the logs to Paul Vixie. In the world of DNS experts, there’s no higher authority. Vixie wrote central strands of the DNS code that makes the internet work. After studying the logs, he concluded, ‘The parties were communicating in a secretive fashion. The operative word is secretive. This is more akin to what criminal syndicates do if they are putting together a project.’ Put differently, the logs suggested that Trump and Alfa had configured something like a digital hotline connecting the two entities, shutting out the rest of the world, and designed to obscure its own existence. . . .”

The available evidence indicates that the hookup indicated “human-level communication”: ” . . . I put the question of what kind of activity the logs recorded to the University of California’s Nicholas Weaver, another computer scientist not involved in compiling the logs. ‘I can’t attest to the logs themselves,’ he told me, ‘but assuming they are legitimate they do indicate effectively human-level communication.’ . . . ”

More about the nature of the communication, from the scientist using the code-name “Tea Leaves”: ” . . . . Tea Leaves and his colleagues plotted the data from the logs on a timeline. What it illustrated was suggestive: The conversation between the Trump and Alfa servers appeared to follow the contours of political happenings in the United States. ‘At election-related moments, the traffic peaked,’ according to Camp. There were considerably more DNS lookups, for instance, during the two conventions. . . .”

The scientists attempted to get the public to pay attention to their investigation and New York Times writers turned their attention to the case: ” . . . In September, the scientists tried to get the public to pay attention to their data. One of them posted a link to the logs in a Reddit thread. Around the same time, the New York Times’ Eric Lichtblau and Steven Lee Myers began chasing the story.* (They are still pursuing it.) Lichtblau met with a Washington representative of Alfa Bank on Sept. 21, and the bank denied having any connection to Trump. . . .”

Things got “interesting” after that. According to the computer scientists, the Trump Organization shut down the server! As the brilliant Berkeley researcher Peter Dale Scott noted, in a different context, “The cover-up obviates the conspiracy. ” . . . . In September, the scientists tried to get the public to pay attention to their data. One of them posted a link to the logs in a Reddit thread. Around the same time, the New York Times’ Eric Lichtblau and Steven Lee Myers began chasing the story.* (They are still pursuing it.) Lichtblau met with a Washington representative of Alfa Bank on Sept. 21, and the bank denied having any connection to Trump. . . . The computer scientists believe there was one logical conclusion to be drawn: The Trump Organization shut down the server after Alfa was told that the Times might expose the connection. Weaver told me the Trump domain was ‘very sloppily removed.’ Or as another of the researchers put it, it looked like ‘the knee was hit in Moscow, the leg kicked in New York.’. . . . Four days later, on Sept. 27, the Trump Organization created a new host name, trump1.contact-client.com, which enabled communication to the very same server via a different route. When a new host name is created, the first communication with it is never random. To reach the server after the resetting of the host name, the sender of the first inbound mail has to first learn of the name somehow. It’s simply impossible to randomly reach a renamed server. ‘That party had to have some kind of outbound message through SMS, phone, or some noninternet channel they used to communicate [the new configuration],’ Paul Vixie told me. The first attempt to look up the revised host name came from Alfa Bank. ‘If this was a public server, we would have seen other traces,’ Vixie says. ‘The only look-ups came from this particular source.’According to Vixie and others, the new host name may have represented an attempt to establish a new channel of communication. But media inquiries into the nature of Trump’s relationship with Alfa Bank, which suggested that their communications were being monitored, may have deterred the parties from using it. Soon after the New York Times began to ask questions, the traffic between the servers stopped cold. . . .”

Not surprisingly, the FBI has dismissed the relevance of the computer link.

This dismissal comes against the background of several late-breaking developments:

The unsuccessful attempt by Alfa subsidiary Crown Resources to buy Marc Rich’s commodities firm: ” . . . A deal to sell the Swiss-based commodities operation of former U.S. fugitive financier Marc Rich to Russia-owned energy trading group Crown Resources is off. . . . Crown is owned by the Alfa Group conglomerate. . . . .”

The subsequent successful attempt by Alfa player Mikhail Fridman to purchase the Marc Rich firm: ” . . . Mikhail Fridman: ‘Defendant Mikhail Fridman currently serves as Chairman of the Board of Directors of co-conspirator Alfa Bank and as Chairman of the Board of Directors of Defendant Consortium Alfa Group. Fridman further served on the Board of VimpelCom, a NYSE company, and has control over Golden Telecom, a NASDAQ company … purchased the United States trading firm owned by American, Mark Rich, the one time commodities baron pardoned by President Clinton with much controversy. . . .”

The FBI’s long-dormant Twitter account began tweeting files about Bill Clinton’s pardon of Marc Rich, shortly after the official dismissal of investigations into the Alfa/Trump link: ” . . . . Now, a new interagency mystery is raising questions about whether the F.B.I. has become politicized, just days before the presidential election. On Sunday, a long-dormant F.B.I. Twitter account suddenly sprung to life, blasting out a series of links to case files that cast the Clintons in a decidedly negative light. . . . Then, on Tuesday, the “FBI Records Vault” account—which had not tweeted at all between October 2015 and Sunday—published a link to records related to the 15-year-old, long-closed investigation into former President Bill Clinton’s pardoning of onetime commodities trader turned fugitive Marc Rich. The post, which was quickly retweeted thousands of times, links to a heavily redacted document that repeatedly references the agency’s “Public Corruption” unit—less-than-ideal optics for Hillary Clinton, who has spent her entire campaign fighting her image as a corrupt politician. . . .”

FBI Director James Comey was in charge of the original Marc Rich investigation and the pardon of Rich by Bill Clinton. Is there a connection between the official dismissal of the investigation into the Alfa/Trump link by the FBI, the tweeting by the FBI of the files on the Clinton pardon of Marc Rich and the fact that it was Comey who presided over the Marc Rich investigations? ” . . . . In 2002, Comey, then a federal prosecutor, took over an investigation into President Bill Clinton’s 2001 pardon of financier Marc Rich, who had been indicted on a laundry list of charges before fleeing the country. The decision set off a political firestorm focused on accusations that Rich’s ex-wife Denise made donations to the Democratic Party, the Clinton Library and Hillary Clinton’s 2000 Senate campaign as part of a plan to get Rich off the hook. Comey ultimately decided not to pursue the case. The kicker: Comey himself had overseen Rich’s prosecution between 1987 and 1993. . . .”

Program Highlights Include: details of the Carl Duisberg Society’s links to Atta and to major German corporations; discussion of the Alfa Fellowhip against the background of German Ostpolitik discussed in FTR #’s 918 and 919; detailed analysis of Viktor Kozeny associates Fridman and (Pyotr) Aven (Kozeny employed Bohringer as a pilot); a summary analysis of the major points in FTR #’s 530 and 573.

Former Director of National Intelligence James Clapper appeared on Meet the Press this past weekend to discuss the Trump-Russia scandal. Chuck Todd asked: Were there improper contacts between the Trump campaign and Russian officials?

JAMES CLAPPER: We did not include any evidence in our report, and I say, "our," that's N.S.A., F.B.I. and C.I.A., with my office, the Director of National Intelligence, that had anything, that had any reflection of collusion between members of the Trump campaign and the Russians. There was no evidence of that…

CHUCK TODD: I understand that. But does it exist?

JAMES CLAPPER: Not to my knowledge.

Todd pressed him to elaborate.

CHUCK TODD: If [evidence of collusion] existed, it would have been in this report?

JAMES CLAPPER: This could have unfolded or become available in the time since I left the government.

This is the former Director of National Intelligence telling all of us that as of 12:01 a.m. on January 20th, when he left government, the intelligence agencies had no evidence of collusion between Donald Trump's campaign and the government of Vladimir Putin's Russia.

Virtually all of the explosive breaking news stories on the Trump-Russia front dating back months contain some version of this same disclaimer.

Reporters should always be nervous when intelligence sources sell them stories. Spooks don't normally need the press. Their usual audiences are other agency heads, and the executive. They can bring about action just by convincing other people within the government to take it.

In the extant case, whether the investigation involved a potential Logan Act violation, or election fraud, or whatever, the CIA, FBI, and NSA had the ability to act both before and after Donald Trump was elected. But they didn't, and we know why, because James Clapper just told us – they didn't have evidence to go on.

Thus we are now witnessing the extremely unusual development of intelligence sources that normally wouldn't tell a reporter the time of day litigating a matter of supreme importance in the media. What does this mean?

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/taibbi-russia-story-is-a-minefield-for-democrats-and-the-media-w471074

tands said:
WILKERSON:There are a number of events that have occurred in the last 96 hours or so that lead me to believe that maybe even the Democratic party, whatever element of it, approached John Brennan at the CIA, maybe even the former president of the United States. And John Brennan, not wanting his fingerprints to be on anything, went to his colleague in London GCHQ, MI6 and essentially said, “Give me anything you’ve got.” And he got something and he turned it over to the DNC or to someone like that. And what he got was GHCQ MI6’s tapes of conversations of the Trump administration perhaps, even the President himself. It’s really kind of strange, at least to me, they let the head of that organization go, fired him about the same time this was brewing up.

The head of Britain's electronic surveillance agency GCHQ has resigned.

Robert Hannigan, who has held the post of GCHQ director since 2014, said he was stepping down for family reasons.

Mr Hannigan was director general of defence and intelligence at the Foreign Office before taking over the leadership of GCHQ in 2014.

There will now be an internal competition within government to identify candidates for the job. Recommendations will then be sent to Mr Johnson and Prime Minister Theresa May for a final decision.

He was previously responsible for the UK's first cyber security strategy, oversaw the first national security strategy, and chaired Cobra emergency committee meetings on terrorist incidents.

He also worked as principal adviser to then Prime Minister Tony Blair on the Northern Ireland peace process.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-38723040

wiretapping = not wiretapping

mattiasNYC said:
"figurative accuracy"

just microwaves turning into cameras (which = microwaves not turning into cameras)

Trump voters don't care though. 

Once again the Trump administration is reading my mind...  They are planning to review the extreme CAFE fleet mileage standards written based on more expensive  fuel, driving more consumers to buy small cars instead of big trucks and SUVs.  We need good gas mileage but need to be realistic, since the consumer gets a vote in what cars/trucks they will buy. 

As I have shared before Detroit must build the small cars in mexico to be cheap enough that consumers will buy them so they can meet fleet mileage standards. So arguably these US jobs are moved because of the government standards.. These days consumer prefer bigger vehicles.
-----
One thing I have been saying for some time, we need to take advantage of cheap oil now to increase gas taxes to fund infrastructure repairs (roads and bridges). Oil is <$50 and Saudis are having trouble holding the cartel on track.

JR

Back