Panels for Cheaper

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluebird

I have used Front panel express for many years because they can do some fancy engraving and color infill stuff. But even with they're quantity pricing its still pretty expensive.

I found this place that happened to be close to where I live.

http://www.cam-expert.com/

They do the same work FPE does for about 20% cheaper. I felt it was too good to be true, but I had a panel done and it was the same quality as FPE.

They can use DXF (preferred format), PS, ESP, HPGL, and AI (Adobe Illustrator).

Coolest thing is they will convert and use your Front Panel software files. :)

Cool. I am sure there are many local suppliers who can do this sort of thing. I have been having conversations with a couple not 20 miles from me. I plan to get them to do a test panel early next year to check price/quality. Maybe we should have a front panels meta?

Cheers

Ian

YEARS ago, I first ran into "photo etched" anodized plates on Auditronics recording desks.  Here are a couple of their modules I racked awhile back:

http://brianroth.com/custom/auditronics.jpg

Once Upon A Time, someone was selling the materials for short-run/DIY.

I have some more info back at the studio...will try to find that....

One name in my (faulty) memory banks is Metalphoto???

Bri

gyraf said:
ruffrecords said:
Maybe we should have a front panels meta?

You're more than welcome to start one - I'll add to Meta-meta if you let me know (in case I don't see it..)

Jakob E.

I am happy to do that but I have never done a meta before - some guidance would be appreciated.

Cheers

Ian

I think, Just start a post here in the Brewery or anywhere, I guess, that says "META - Front Panel Services" and add businesses with links (and reviews if any).

Jakob will then just move it to the Meta section. People can post new front panel services in the thread and you can update the original post every once in a while, with the new info.

I think that's how it works.

Coolest thing is they will convert and use your Front Panel software files.
This is lame - isn't it?!?!?! Come on. 
FPE created a software to sell front panels - and they provide this software for free. That's a really cool thing that should be appreciated, right? Using their software to go to another low cost supplier (that hasn't developed the design software) is just screwing them. Of course someone can make you a front panel cheaper if they haven't invested in developing the software and maintaining it.  If you want to use the low cost supplier - DON'T USE THE FRONT PANEL SOFTWARE!
It's unethical - have some character, for crying out loud.

How is this different that buying a circuit board from the guy who copied another person's design (and didn't put all the hard work into developing it) just to save a few pennies?  The end result is the people who contribute stuff quit, and you have all the low cost copiers left, and no new cool stuff.

dmp said:
How is this different that buying a circuit board from the guy who copied another person's design (and didn't put all the hard work into developing it) just to save a few pennies?  The end result is the people who contribute stuff quit, and you have all the low cost copiers left, and no new cool stuff.

Stop press we agree...  ;D

While there is a whole generation coming up that thinks music and videos (and college) should be free... while maybe speech shouldn't be.

(sorry about the veer... and back to the agreement. )

JR

dmp said:
FPE created a software to sell front panels - and they provide this software for free. That's a really cool thing that should be appreciated, right? Using their software to go to another low cost supplier (that hasn't developed the design software) is just screwing them. Of course someone can make you a front panel cheaper if they haven't invested in developing the software and maintaining it.  If you want to use the low cost supplier - DON'T USE THE FRONT PANEL SOFTWARE!

Agree, plus I always hated using the FPE software anyway.  I draft my projects in Vectorworks and always had to translate that into FPE.  I'd much rather just use DXF. 

www.frontpanelpros.com

I used them for my 1u 1176 and dual pultec and liked the results. Hans is super friendly.  The cool thing that can save a buck is its pretty much a flat rate (after youve selected color and/or infilling) so they are not charging per text engraving.  So the cost really comes through for eq's and such.

Turn around was really fast one time and similar to fpe the other.

They accept all kinds of files from svg to illustrator.

I literally have spent 10's of thousands of dollar with Front Panel Express over the years always paying the onesy twosy prices and never complaining. I recently asked If I could have a quantity of panels milled up, pay the quantity price, but just over the course of a year. They were unwilling to work with me at all. Even though they have featured Panels I designed in they're news letter!

Thats pretty lame, so I had to try to find an alternative. And if the alternative will convert my files for me I have no problem letting them.
On they're website they DO NOT advertise that they will convert the files, its just something they will do if you ask. Not a big deal if you ask me. Plus after all the money Front Panel Express has made on me over the years, I have no problem giving a file from they're free program that I spent hours of my time creating, to another company.

I don't think front panel express actually designed the software anyways. A european company used the same software. They probably just pay a subscription to it.

What? Its totally different! I designed my own panel. I'm not copying anything!

YOU CAN EXPORT A DXF FILE RIGHT FROM THE FRONT PANEL PROGRAM. crazy... Oh yea AND THE PROGRAM IS FREE FOR ANYONE TO USE.

Good lord, I feel like frikin' criminal around here.

see ya...

P.S.

dmp said:

You betta step back. Thats pretty fu*ked up going around telling people on this forum they have no character. You don't know me.

dmp said:
FPE created a software to sell front panels - and they provide this software for free. That's a really cool thing that should be appreciated, right?

Wrong. They did it to capture market share, not out of the goodness of their hearts. Same way Google makes a really good browser and search engine for free - but of course they capture and sell all sorts of data about you.

Nothing is truly free.

Cheers

Ian

Brian Roth said:
YEARS ago, I first ran into "photo etched" anodized plates on Auditronics recording desks.  Here are a couple of their modules I racked awhile back:

http://brianroth.com/custom/auditronics.jpg

Once Upon A Time, someone was selling the materials for short-run/DIY.

I have some more info back at the studio...will try to find that....

One name in my (faulty) memory banks is Metalphoto???

Bri

Yup - Metalphoto is right - its a cool process, there is a place here in montreal that does it - really very affordable, and the results they got were really amazing.

Some of the early Spectra Sonics strips and escutcheons used a photographic process that was a predecessor to "Metalphoto"

http://www.montrealstencil.com/en/produits/233/

As for FPE - I have gotten several panels from them over the years and have always been satisfied - I have a love/hate relationship with the software, I find it great for milling but terribly cumbersome for graphics. I actually have a few panels in the mail right now that I did custom logo's on - fingers crossed...

One other thing about FPE, and anyone who has ever gotten anything from them will agree - the packaging is superb - unbeatable maybe - I once had a $3000 shipment of custom machined, anodized, laser etched panels arrive from the anodizing plant literally wrapped in duct tapped scraps of cardboard - it was unreal, the corner of a stack of panels had poked thru the cardboard and got all mangled - mad doesn't even begin to sum up the feeling - so i have to say - the safe packing/shipping goes a long way with me...

I apologize to anyone here (especially Bluebird) who felt offended or criticized by my comment. I did not mean to personally attack anyone's behavior and maybe I worded my post too strongly.
I was trying to say that I do not feel it is good to use their software with their competition and that doing so will have negative consequences to the end user - they'll go out of business / the next company won't make a software. But clearly some think I am wrong and some disagree. That is fine!

dmp said:
I apologize to anyone here (especially Bluebird)

Apologies accepted, I should have tougher skin.

mutterd said:
One other thing about FPE, and anyone who has ever gotten anything from them will agree - the packaging is superb - unbeatable maybe -

I totally agree, and its also so exciting to get that little pack of gummy bears with your panel!

But I was a little offended when FPE wouldn't spread my payment out over time. Adrian the shop manager even told me they have done it before and it was ok. But then his boss decided they just didn't want to do it anymore. Oh well.
As a lot of you know, its hard to try and start a small business on limited funds so "market forces" drove me elsewhere.

I feel the people at Cam-Experts are working just as hard as the people at FPE, they are just doing it for cheaper. And judging from their work so far, they are going to do well (with or without the FPE software files). 
Their packing, although not as good as FPE, was just fine and there was no corners sticking out or damaged pieces.

Ok but here is the weird thing...

www.frontpanelpros.com (sugested by Rocinante) is the same company as www.cam-expert.com!
Two totally different websites, same company.

Hey if enough people start going to Cam - Expert perhaps FPE will lower their price a bit to compete and I can get my gummy bears again. :)

you could make the Meta a place for cases and not just front panels,

we walk a "not so fine line" around here as far as ethics, sometimes it can be entertaining, should we invite somebody from Manley over for a chat?  ;D

They're the same company? 
Now that's bizarre.  I don't even know what I think about that.

I have been whistling (in the dark) non xmas tunes lately.

Ah doddly dee
It's a pirates life for me
I'm not crying
but I gave fpe lots of money
If they want some more from me
Then let us convert to svg
I'll gladly pay an additional fee
Id also like bundled discounts please
Ahh diddly dee
Then  its a pirates life for me

I hope everyone knows im playing around. I'm surprised that more members don't offer engraving services. I seriously debated getting one of those prosumer engravers when I was working with some people on possibly a console. 
I know some people use trophy shops sometimes and they are super cheap but I have yet to find one local that was affordable.

My friend gets panels from Schaeffer regularly. They are engraved. He gets multi-coloured lettering. What engraving technique do they use? The lettering has painted in-fill, but looks too neat to be painted by hand. How do they do it?

I've had nightmares with people (I've had to ditch 3 engraving firms because of this single issue) smudging in-fill paint. I prefer the look of painted / traditional engraving to plain laser, but am now contemplating using the latter to keep my stress levels down. The last firm smeared the paint, but baked it hard - so I'm now faced with getting the panel lapped (a gentle type of grinding process - very precise) by approx 0.2mm to remove the paint (and engraving...)... It's meant I've missed a deadline on delivery and lost me a fortune. 

How do the big players stop fabricators damaging expensive components? Do they have a contract that states if the contractor harms a part they have to pay for it? In the case of this (expensive, thick panel) the firm who screwed up the painting blamed the anodiser. The anodiser in turn blamed the engraver. It's been impossible to get anyone to take responsibility, so I've lost money hand-over-fist.

Latest posts

Back