What's Better Than Gotham Cable?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phrazemaster

Hey all, I have bought, and used, Gotham GAC-7 cable for my builds. It's been great cable, but the one sucky thing is it's a b**** to coil. I'm really careful about it, and coil in alternate rings, but no matter what it seems to kink, and I baby the cables.

So is there anything out there that is as good electrically, and shielding-wise, as the Gotham, but that is easier to coil and deal with in the studio? I remember Andreas had mentioned he liked some other cable better, but I didn't ask him what it was.

Oh I should mention it will be for tube mic builds, so having at least 6-7 conductors would be crucial.

Any thoughts?

Best,

Mike

Hi Mike,

I like sommer cable:

http://shop.sommercable.com/en/Cables/Bulk-Cables-Audio/Mikrofonkabel-SC-Octave-Tube-200-0186.html

Cheers

as much as i love gotham cables, coiling them up is a PITA... i have the GAC3 and at some point my assistants refused coiling them up again....
For tube mics, I use the aforementioned sommer. A lot smoother to handle, though the insulation is a bit heat sensitive, so take care when soldering....

Mentioned Sommer is really good.
Sometimes even stock chinese cables aren't bad as also Rode cables (which are truly similar to chinese but little bit better to soldering). If you don't have a need for long cables. make only that length which you really need.
I don't have any problem during recording to put PSU close to the microphone stand, so there's no need to run 10 meter of cable.
Usual shorter cable, longer life of it :D
When am building my own microphones, mostly am making cardioid only or multipattern with the switch inside microphone opposite to psu pattern switch. Then i use 5pin connectors usual XLR but sometimes Tuchel.
For that purpose cable with four wires and shield is enough.
From some time am using Schulz MK12:
http://www.schulz-kabel.de/de/Meterware/Mikrofonkabel/MK-12.html
It's truly cheap (if we compare it to the 7pin), great quality, doesn't twist, great for soldering (insulation doesn't melt so quick like with others) and it have  4x0.22mm2 wires.

Accusound ACX-7 : ACX-7 features a vintage EMT design with modern up-dates which incorporates a unique “Quad Shielding System” for an extremely low noise floor, maximum RFI and EMI noise rejection.  The inner workings are comprised of two 20 AWG and five 26 AWG ultra pure high-strand count copper conductors; each sealed in an audiophile-grade, low loss polyethylene insulator and planetary wound for sonic accuracy. The bandwidth is very uniform with superb clarity, clean midrange and excellent rendering of lower frequencies.

Hi guys. I really love Redco cable. It rolls nicer than many of the others and doesn't become deformed internally like Gotham over time.

Cheers

imrc said:
Accusound ACX-7 : [...] The bandwidth is very uniform with superb clarity, clean midrange and excellent rendering of lower frequencies.

You do know that microphone cables can't influence the sound...    8)

tonzauber said:

No?
I was sure that if i use it on cheap electret it will sound like U47.
Oh man, you ruined christmass this year :D
Maybe at least AC power cable will give more open hi freqency area?
;)

Ok, and seriously, some just can degradate the sound, especialy if people roll up the cable as a rope ;)

tonzauber said:
To my (simple)-mind, the only thing the same as straight copper wire is...straight copper wire.

You stick that wire into a sheath and send it 10', 20', 30', with other wires around it, with varying capacitances and situations, and I can't help but think there could be some affect on the frequency response. Capacitors have DA, and absorb certain frequencies - whole principle of filtering. Those cables ARE capacitors!

Now maybe the attenuation is outside the audio band, I don't know, but you aren't comparing apples to apples when you have different lengths, different brands, different capacitances...this is not audiophoolery; it's just logical.

Now, can you actually HEAR a difference? Dunno.

BTW GREAT responses to this post - you guys have given me some great ideas for looking into my next mic cable source. I love GAC-7 for it's high quality construction, but man you shouldn't have to baby your cables and fight with them all the time!!!

Thanks!!

Mike

Phrazemaster said:
Thanks Moby, good to know!
I have a few km of Mogami snakes and installation cables in my studio fascilities and the never failed (in past 15y). Also, I use this one for my mic builds. So, I can say that I'm Mogami fan :)

Moby said:
I have a few km of Mogami snakes and installation cables in my studio fascilities and the never failed (in past 15y). Also, I use this one for my mic builds. So, I can say that I'm Mogami fan :)
How do they coil? I like Gotham gac 7 but it's a bear to coil...

Back