now that's a heatsink

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JohnRoberts said:
Beer bottle caps are generally steel so not as good thermally as aluminum but +1 for recycling.

JR

R U saing an EE sir shall have the beer canned and not bottled?

JS

> not as good thermally as aluminum

When the metal-to-air resistance exceeds the resistance in the metal, the metal is a secondary factor. Many steel heatsinks work fine. In part because steel is cheaper than aluminum.

PRR said:
> not as good thermally as aluminum

When the metal-to-air resistance exceeds the resistance in the metal, the metal is a secondary factor. Many steel heatsinks work fine. In part because steel is cheaper than aluminum.
Yes (right as usual), for that application the thermal resistance of the steel cap is not significant.

I don't think I've ever seen an aluminum bottle cap, while maybe an aluminum beer can could find some use in DIY heat sinks. Problem there is that the aluminum cans are so thin they might have trouble with heat spreading.

Who hasn't made DIY heatsinks?

JR

JohnRoberts said:
Who hasn't made DIY heatsinks?
I haven't but only because I hadn't thought of it. I've done my share of equivalent hacks.

We definitely need a pic of the other side, so we can judge the maker by what beverage he (she?) drinks.

Latest posts

Back