28$ C12 Rayking Capsules

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingkorg

Has anyone tried these? 28$ + shipping.

Attachments

• tmp_2512-5d542b7efbebf6bb2384bf6a5aefa901-1083892581.pdf
    842.2 KB · Views: 210
The edge terminated capsules look very much like the Chinese capsules I once used, and they were excellent!
But I have no idea if they are from the same company...
(Strange that they compare them with the Microphone Parts capsules...)

Well, i ordered one. We'll see how it performs. I reached them through Alibaba, and they are willing to send low quantities as samples.

Update:
The capsule sample has arrived. I am unfortunatelly not satisfied. Very, very scooped sound. It's like a regular chinese k67 -3db in mids at 1Khz. One side measured 80pF, the other 89pF. 80pF side has better bass response.

Backplate screws are soldered together and soldered to wire which is so short it barely reaches connections.

Backplate screws are weird plated with some gold like coating, just seems bad. Replaced those, and unsoldered.

I also purchased 2 of the Rayking capsules,  They look a little different than the ones you got,  mine had regular terminals for the backplate connection.  I do notice there are alot of scratches on the backplate and doesn't look like from machining.  I haven't listened to them yet but I should have time to give them a listen next week.    Here are some pictures:

Attachments

• IMAG0067.jpg
    IMAG0067.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 81
iirc. it's bad if that surface is too smooth(?)

edit: somebody correct me if I'm wrong,
but isnt those scratches something  as "cheap mod"
some china capsules have used as a way to reduce membrane  attraction to backplate etc?

I remember reading about this somewhere, but cant find it now..

That may well have been a quick manual wipe with a piece of sandpaper, possibly to deburr that area.

Carnesd said:
I do notice there are alot of scratches on the backplate and doesn't look like from machining.

found it  :)
quoting Tim Campbell:
Nick, if you mean ordinary scratches this is done by many chinese manufacturers as a simple way of reducing additional attraction of the membrane to the backplate (like these http://www.timcampbell.dk/gt4.jpg ). If the backplate is too smooth, when the membrane is pushed to the backplate this perfect surface can help hold the membrane to it.This shouldn't be confused with the overall surface not being flat.

http://repforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,16269.msg212977.html#msg212977

kingkorg said:
The only thing I don't like is shipping, as they insist on DHL which is rubbish, and costs 50 euros. I get to chose 6 and 3 microns.

I'm suspicious that high shipping cost for samples is used as a filter.  They prefer to sell to manufacturers and not to individuals.  Manufacturers should not have a problem with a 50 euros shipping cost, but for individuals and diyers like us, this is of course a not a good thing.

Regards!

Anybody know what effect an edge terminated capsule vs the older style with the screw in the middle of the diaphram has on the sound?

Usually and in theory capsules are made to measure flat.
In practice LD edge terminated capsules are subtly (!) scooped whereas centre terminated ones, particularly K47 /M7, have some extra midrange punch (but less air)
K67/87 is sort of a crossbreed in that it has the centre termination of the K47 and the dual backplate of the CK12.
But there's a whole lot more to it than that. 

797 audio has agreed to send me their c12 sample to try out, which looks interesting and looks totally different than any OEM c12 I have seen. The only thing I don't like is shipping, as they insist on DHL which is rubbish, and costs 50 euros. I get to chose 6 and 3 microns.

http://www.797microphone.com/microp...rge-diaphragm-dual-capsule-for-condenser.html
Hi KK...
Just wondering if you ever got around to checking out the 797 c12 'samples' (particularly the 6 micron)..?
Thinking of swapping out the k67 in my AKG P820 for a c12, and veering towards a Maiku at present.
I did change the 12ax7 for an EHX (gold pin) 6072a which improved things no end, but having used an OG c12 once (recording at Chapel Studios in Lincolnshire, UK, 1999) on my voice, I've been wanting something as-near-as-dammit for my studio ever since. It's a terrible thing once you've been spoiled (I had a go with Ray Davies' own m49 in Konk Studios, but we didn't get along!)
Hope this finds thee well,
Tel.

Hi KK...
Just wondering if you ever got around to checking out the 797 c12 'samples' (particularly the 6 micron)..?
Thinking of swapping out the k67 in my AKG P820 for a c12, and veering towards a Maiku at present.
I did change the 12ax7 for an EHX (gold pin) 6072a which improved things no end, but having used an OG c12 once (recording at Chapel Studios in Lincolnshire, UK, 1999) on my voice, I've been wanting something as-near-as-dammit for my studio ever since. It's a terrible thing once you've been spoiled (I had a go with Ray Davies' own m49 in Konk Studios, but we didn't get along!)
Hope this finds thee well,
Tel.
Your P820 likely has a high frequency roll off so you might not want to use an edge terminated capsule.

Back