Bipolar PSU for bipolar and single ended boards

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Potato Cakes

Hello!

I'm building a project that might be using both single ended and bipolar PCBs. I know several people sell PSUs that have all of those plus phantom power, but for the sake of saving space and for personal knowledge getting, I thought about using just a bipolar supply to handle both of these tasks. I would adjust the PSU to +/-24V, take feed from the positive rail for the single ended and another to a pair of resistors of appropriate value to get me +/-16V for the bipolar PCBs. I'm not sure of the dangers or issues I would run into doing this, but I don't know why it wouldn't work.

Thanks!

Paul

Potato Cakes said:
I would adjust the PSU to +/-24V, take feed from the positive rail for the single ended and another to a pair of resistors of appropriate value to get me +/-16V for the bipolar PCBs. I'm not sure of the dangers or issues I would run into doing this, but I don't know why it wouldn't work.

You'd be better off using additional set of regulators for your +/-16V rails. Resistors (if you're planning to do that in series) will drop different amount of volts depending on the load.

Copy that.

I figured if I were to try this out I would set the PSU, connect all the business, then readjust for voltage drops.

I do have a PSU for this first version that has bipolar, single, and +48V rails. Once I verify the whole concept works, I'll come back and just test my theory.  I'm still a ways out from initial testing.

Thanks!

Paul

Latest posts

Back