Speaker pigtail wire replacement

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tubetec

Hi Guys ,
Good to have the place back up and running again , I was starting 'jonesin' a bit without my daily fix of GDiy.

Anyhow got in an amp lately ,previously owned by Noel Reading,rest his soul . Nothin fancy or vintage ,a Yorkville 120B .
powering up fine ,but no sound . Checked the pigtails running from the tab into the cone ,replaced with some thin stranded insulated equipment wire along the way  . I didnt have any old cones to rob a bit of proper speaker litz off ,so instead I used some solder braid to reconnect the stumps of litz going into the coil to the tab connector , The wires were just held on with the solder connection and wobbled around a bit ,so I daubed a little contact adhesive to secure them in place . Im reading a solid 3ohms across the voice coil ,and everything looks good. Im just wondering though ,I kind of need to qualify the repair with the owner ,its unlikely this amp will ever have to  do serious hard rock gigs again ,and maybe for the sake of originality and sentimentality I'll at least offer him the option of keeping things original.

I'd be interested to hear other peoples experience with similar jobs ,do fix-ups like this work out ,or am I just wasting mine and somebody elses time ?

Maybe hit or miss with the movement???  I rigged up a 12" sub several years ago, I'd need to check what I did to it, but it took a couple of tries to keep it from eventually breaking... I did buy some spider? litz but never had to use it after my last attempt and this was abused for a while...large excursion........It's in a closet but I'll check it out in a bit....I think the main thing was the length being just right.......and adhesive .....but I'm not sure where I put the repair or how until I check...

Edit//// I just checked and I guess I ended up sealing all of the screw holes and around the driver  for some reason, probably from them wearing out in the wood, so I can't look inside without making a bit of a mess..... I think the main thing, like I mentioned is getting the slack close to where it was.... so it doesn't slap and it's not too tight to affect the excursion and create stress....The solder can crack depending how much there is and where it is..... from the movement so, the adhesive is a good insurance and , I wouldn't be surprised if it would be fine w/o solder if need be??? Maybe even preferable????Thinking flexibility......

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful..... and I hope I'm even describing what your asking...lol

Good Luck!

Cheers Scott ,
No, its all good .
Very often on speakers I notice a blob of epoxy or some kind of contact adhesive where the lizt exits the back of the cone ,as this is the point Ive soldered too ,I'v just gone ahead and stabilised the connections with some blobs of contact. Interestingly I also spotted a section of the speaker + wire with the insulation removed ,and it was in a position likely to come in contact with chassis, no wonder this amp was a bit of a liabillity .  Anyhow I'll power it up tomorrow and use my new sig gen to give the cone a bit of a work out to make sure it holds up .
Really simple little amp the Yorkville 120B ,just two output transistors . I wonder what happened to Yorkville ,they dont seem to exist anymore , they used do nice pa speakers at one point too ,the Elite 160's were always a fav of mine ,of course thin on bass ,but they carried vocals and acoustic instruments superbly even by modern standards . The bose 802's were the another more common speaker of the era ,and unless you had the system equaliser or a graphic with a big smiley face on it they sounded honky as hell .I modded up an Elite 160 wedge years ago with a 100w panel from a subwoofer ,I wired directly to the poweramp ,still works away great ,and just needs a line level out from the monitor send on the desk.

> I wonder what happened to Yorkville ,they dont seem to exist anymore

Did you try www.yorkville.com ?

there are about four different glues used for speakers, one for the edge gasket, one for the dust cover, one for the leads, and one for the spider? maybe that's correct, i forget,

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Special-Black-Speaker-Glue-Adhesive-for-woofer-or-subwoofer-lead-wires-MI-2000-/140750597868

video on recone here>

https://www.simplyspeakers.com

cool on the Noel Redding thing!  he was a guitar player before Jimi said, "hey, grab that bass!"  :D

Oh so they are still going , There was a local music shop here years ago who sold a lot of Yorkville . We used have six music shops in town ,sadly now were down to two. Congrats on passing the 10,000 post mark also Prr.

Hi Cj ,
Yeah Ive done some cone repairs along the way alright ,but never did a full recone.  I did once re-glue the surrounds on the midrange drivers of a set of Kef Km-1's ,in that particular case Kef supplied its own glue formulation , it was rubber surround and polycarbonate cone material. The contact adhesive seems to be solidly holding the connections for now ,what Im not so sure about is how it will hold up to heat from the voice coil over the longer term .

So powered up the amp , without the speaker connected just in case ,
Sure enough I measured +20 something volts across the output terminals , BD237/238 driver transistors seem to be ok .
The output stage is made up of MJ15015/16  pair , I suspect one of these is damaged , I measured a positive 20 volts on the output ,would this suggest the npn or pnp side has the issue ? I have a spare MJ15016 but I dont have any MJ15015's . I also have some MJ15022/23 ,would these be a possible sub for the 15015/16?

Cant seem to find the schem for the yorkville 120b  anywhere either , if anyone knows where to find it let me know ,
Thanks again.

Pete Traynor built some good amps. In partnership with a music store owner, Yorkville built and marketed Traynor amps. At the time there was a bonus: Canadian-made amplifiers sold in Canada did not carry the Import Tax of Fender etc. (Garnet benefited also). After some time Pete left, the Traynor brand carried on and then faded, but Yorkville had other products. The Traynor brand is back but without Pete's sweat-prints. They bought ART, a nice small preamp shop. It is a tough business, China-Made has been eating everybody's lunch, and Yorkville seems to duck-and-weave with market shift.

Not very common here the Traynor , I think I saw one or two along the way ,transistorised ones though ,never saw the valve ones .

I did email Yorkville today about a schem for the 120B ,initially I got an automated response email from the tech dept ,saying the guy was out of the office till Thursday and contact the sales department instead which I did , Id say 20 minutes later I checked my inbox again and there was the documentation I needed , fairly impressive turn around I have to say .

Yeah ,met Noel Reading one time in person ,playing his beloved 'De Barra's' pub in Clonakillity ,Co. Cork ,he had Mr mellow Yellow, Donovan Leitch  and Eric Bell of Lizzy fame along too ,we did up a couple of dube's out back after and the lads were as down to earth as you or I ,no bullshit, no pretense , and no ass kissing expected , my guess is thats how you go the distance in rock n roll ,the fame disease could easily eat you from the inside out .

Back