M7 best side in figure 8

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McIrish

Hi,
I have an M7 capsule in my Nady TCM1050. I most of the mods other than replacing the transformer.
In deciding which side of the capsule I like best, I set the mic polar pattern to figure 8 and I speak into each side. I found the back side to sound bigger and smoother. So, I then changed the wiring of the capsule and made the back the front. I did a test again in figure 8 and found I like the back better again. That's a bit puzzling. What do you think is going on with this? Maybe the voltage from the polar pattern switch is not giving the same as the front?
I also had done the mod of replacing the Zener diodes in the supply so the capsule voltage would be close to 60V.

Are you testing this using headphones and using your voice?

If so there are posts about  what is happening.

"Are you testing this using headphones and using your voice?"
If so, you will hear the sound from the mic "in phase" on one side and "out of phase" on the other side.
The sound from the "out of phase" side will mix with the sound that goes from your mouth to your ears, and it will sound thin.
A better way (the only way to test figure of 8...) is to record your voice from both sides of the mic and then listen to the recording.

Gus said:
Are you testing this using headphones and using your voice?

If so there are posts about  what is happening.

Yes Gus. This is exactly what I'm doing. I will start hunting through posts to see what I can come up with.
Thank

stelin said:
"Are you testing this using headphones and using your voice?"
If so, you will hear the sound from the mic "in phase" on one side and "out of phase" on the other side.
The sound from the "out of phase" side will mix with the sound that goes from your mouth to your ears, and it will sound thin.
A better way (the only way to test figure of 8...) is to record your voice from both sides of the mic and then listen to the recording.

Thank you for explaining it to me. That makes sense. I would assume if I flipped the phase with headphones on, I will hear the same thing in cardiod?

I just did that test. With the phase flipped, the front sounds better now. I wonder if the 1050 is wired out of phase from the factory?

I checked with my known good signal path and some other mics. It was definitely wired out of phase for cardiod. No wonder I couldn't hear any low end when I checked with headphones. A simple flip of the wires on the power supply and all is well. At least with that position of the modification.

Latest posts

Back