Ricardus

PMillett Tube Preamp Build
« on: April 13, 2019, 01:40:16 PM »
 I saw a post about this from 2010 or so, and not many comments on it, so I thought I'd start a new one to document my build.

I discovered this guy's site about a year ago when I was sorta randomly googling around for vacuum tube pre kits other than the cool stuff at Drip Electronics and such. I found this. It looked interesting. I initially ordered one PCB and then ignored it for a year because there were a few things about it I didn't like. He used Neutrik Combo connectors for the output and the input, and the output wasn't balanced. He posted some files to get an enclosure made for it, but I wasn't in love with that option either, because it wasn't a rack mount or something more modular (like 500 series). A couple months ago I figured the best solution for all of those issues for me was to buy another PCB, and ultimately rack it up in a 2U rack box, and then I could panel mount the toggles and the XLRs and run jumpers from the PCB. I'll also balance the outputs with Sowter 3603s.

The tube sockets came a week ago so I soldered those, and the Mouser BOM came yesterday, and I'll begin soldering in a bit. I don't have the Lundahl input traffos or the Sowters yet (need more cash before I can order those), and I didn't order the 2U rack box yet, either. I'll get that from Collective. Their basic 2U units look very nice.

Anyway, here is a pic of one of the PCBs with the tube sockets installed. I'll post more pics as I do more work.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2019, 09:05:55 PM by Ricardus »
Audio mastering for hire..

Ricardus

Re: PMillett Tube Preamp Build
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2019, 09:23:07 PM »
OK. I soldered for a couple hours and have all of the resistors, all the diodes and various other semis, and all the inductors in both boards. I'll get to the caps tomorrow. Progress.

Ricardus

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2019, 07:03:10 PM »
Even more progress. Caps are all in, but 4 resistors had to go because a few hours ago I realized they were supposed to be rated at 300 volts or better, but they were only rated at 250. Probably would have been fine, but hey, better safe than sorry.

Ricardus

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2019, 05:00:20 PM »
Transformers ordered. Lundahl  7903's.

Ricardus

« Reply #4 on: Today at 11:34:00 AM »
Lundahl 7903's arrived today and mounted. These things are nice.

Things will be slow going for a bit due to funds and time.