coiled headphone cable, uncoiling it.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pucho812

What is the easiest way to uncoil  the coiled headphone cable that came stock with these headphones.  I am sure I can use a heat gun and some elbow grease to get most of the coil out, but is there another way?

pucho812 said:
What is the easiest way to uncoil  the coiled headphone cable that came stock with these headphones.  I am sure I can use a heat gun and some elbow grease to get most of the coil out, but is there another way?
Please tell us how successful you are with "heat gun and elbow grease" method.
I always hated these coiled cables, and made sure I never bought one, but I've been given a Sony 7506, and I'm constantly amazed at the viciousness of this coil that manages to get entangled with every move.  :mad:  I guess it's the reason the person that had it before gave it to me.  ;D

abbey road d enfer said:
Please tell us how successful you are with "heat gun and elbow grease" method.
I always hated these coiled cables, and made sure I never bought one, but I've been given a Sony 7506, and I'm constantly amazed at the viciousness of this coil that manages to get entangled with every move.  :mad:  I guess it's the reason the person that had it before gave it to me.  ;D

well so far it's like this. As you may know, the coil is formed by heat at the factory. So I should be able to heat and uncoil.  But here is the trick so far, how much heat and distance, I am still working that out because too close and too hot and rubber melts.  It was suggested that I boil, yes  boil with water, the cable to make it more bendable, I may try that too and see howe that works. As long as it is not connected and I dry it  well, I should be fine.

Coiled cables are shit, which is why I made my suggestion. You are going to spend a lot more time trying to uncoil it than it is worth.
Its your time, but if it was me, I wouldn't waste it.

radardoug said:
Coiled cables are sh*t, which is why I made my suggestion. You are going to spend a lot more time trying to uncoil it than it is worth.
Its your time, but if it was me, I wouldn't waste it.

I agree but not all headphones can easily have a wire replaced. For example the audio technica m-50's we have here came with a coiled cable. they have their own locking connection  for the headphone cable that is locking one end( into their headphones), and coiled  down the wire ending at a standard 3.5mm with 1/4 screw adaptor. They sell an optional  replacement for $30.00 that is a straight(no coil) version of that cable. no thanks.  I am not about to order  a $30.00  cable for each set of headphones all because they did a daft thing and want me to buy a replacement. it's principal that we try to un coil it first before shelling out 30 dollars each set of cans.

If you have several sets and bought them new, then I'd be having a discussion with your supplier. They should be able to do a swap at minimal charge. Of course, if you have had them for years, thats not going to work.

pucho812 said:
I agree but not all headphones can easily have a wire replaced. For example the audio technica m-50's we have here came with a coiled cable. they have their own locking connection  for the headphone cable that is locking one end( into their headphones), and coiled  down the wire ending at a standard 3.5mm with 1/4 screw adaptor. They sell an optional  replacement for $30.00 that is a straight(no coil) version of that cable. no thanks.  I am not about to order  a $30.00  cable for each set of headphones all because they did a daft thing and want me to buy a replacement. it's principal that we try to un coil it first before shelling out 30 dollars each set of cans.

I have a set of ATH M50 is that the ones you have?
Mine came with both coiled and 2 straight cables. Maybe there's a box somewhere with a load of those spare straight cables?

Isn't the connector at the headphone end just a 3 pole 3.5mm jack, although with a twist action to lock it in place?

AudioGimmer said:
I have a set of ATH M50 is that the ones you have?
Mine came with both coiled and 2 straight cables. Maybe there's a box somewhere with a load of those spare straight cables?

Isn't the connector at the headphone end just a 3 pole 3.5mm jack, although with a twist action to lock it in place?

yes... the new sets do come with both coiled and straight wire.  Yes the jack on the headphone side is just a locking 3.5MM connection . Why I  was looking to do to this was the original tech  at this place made a mess of things.  This was just another example,  they threw out the straight wires because who is going to want those.

Wow, a tech who throws stuff out?  I’m sure that the amount of time spent uncoiling or at least attempting to do so is more than $30.  And a twist-lock replacement is a no-brainer.
That said set the cable in boiled water for a minute and let it cool while stretched out.  The worst that can happen is the cable is ruined and has to be replaced.
Mike

abbey road d enfer said:

1. pull tight to stretch out the coil and held it down like this.

2. heat gun on the  cable slowly working it back and forth and not to long over one section as the jacket easily melts. l earned the melts part early on.

3.  repeated a couple of times.

the end result was mostly straight with really stretched out long coils that with flexo sleeving I was able to keep un coiled.

Latest posts

Back