Mac OS catalina

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pucho812

New OS coming. way different then. the previous Mac OS stuff. It's more like windows where drivers are not included.  this makes any upgrade  dependent on what you are using as they may not be Catalina compliant yet. It starts shipping this month.  beware.

pucho812 said:
New OS coming. way different then. the previous Mac OS stuff. It's more like windows where drivers are not included.  this makes any upgrade  dependent on what you are using as they may not be Catalina compliant yet. It starts shipping this month.  beware.

Indeed! 32 bit applications won't be running anymore (you might have seen notifications from time to time on the current os). Current 32 bit programs can be checked in the system informations report.

weiss said:
Indeed! 32 bit applications won't be running anymore (you might have seen notifications from time to time on the current os). Current 32 bit programs can be checked in the system informations report.

if I run the program twice will it be 64 bit? 32 +32 = 64 ;D

pucho812 said:

Yeah I'm already at the end of life for some of the drivers for my Apogee Ensemble/cheese graterMac/ProTools2018...its like a friggin government agency trying to keep things current without breaking any laws...

Although to be fair the guys at Mac Rumors are usually have a step ahead of Apple...I'm writing this on Mojave running on a 2011 Macbook Pro that is not supposed to run Mojave...

What will be a joke is if music software and plugins break and then must upgraded... :mad:

Wonder if there will be a way to roll back if it’s not working well...

Phrazemaster said:
What will be a joke is if music software and plugins break and then must upgraded... :mad:

Wonder if there will be a way to roll back if it’s not working well...

You can always go back. Thanks to the straight forward time-machine (as long as you made backups on mojave). Thats one thing i love about OS X

weiss said:
You can always go back. Thanks to the straight forward time-machine (as long as you made backups on mojave). Thats one thing i love about OS X

^^^This^^^

One of the first things I do with a Mac laptop or desktop is immediately install a big gigga hardwired drive labelled "Backup" set it up in time machine and then clean it every few month...of course on a laptop it means I have to eliminate the DVD drive but I have a usb unit that I almost never use either...

Just last week I deleted 600 gigs of old backups from the last year to free up space even though it does delete automatically...ya never know when you might need an entire disk image.

Me, I just bought another old Macbook. A 2008...

I'm on El Capital. I'll be running Reaper on Linux in the future, not caring too much about plugins. I'll still have a Mac around, for media stuff. If I need the latest browser, it'll be on Linux. Or possibly BSD. The Mac will also be around for stuff like iphone and ipad.

I'm simply getting more and more annoyed with that cloud stuff. You know, you take a pic with your phone, but it needs to get uploaded to the cloud, then downloaded to the Mac. Works fine, usually. But it seems so useless.

And I have a bunch of small, old, 32 bit tools I won't do without. Most of these will never get released for 64 bit, as more and more open source devs are leaving the platform.

weiss said:

it depends.  how far back are you going?  my current setup, I couldn't roll back that far and the newier stuff will not allow a rollback to any previous os then what it came with.  I use mac a lot and PC's  for specific things. Mac is becoming more like a PC and it's annoying.

pucho812 said:
it depends.  how far back are you going?  my current setup, I couldn't roll back that far and the newier stuff will not allow a rollback to any previous os then what it came with.  I use mac a lot and PC's  for specific things. Mac is becoming more like a PC and it's annoying.

That is true. But how far do you really need to go back? With any mac you can at least roll back to the os it came with. For my mac mini and macbook 2015 that would be Mavericks which is now 6 years old, more than enough for me. It may be a little more complicated reverting from Mojave or High Sierra to a previous version because they switched to the new file system (at least on SSD-equipped macs).

weiss said:
That is true. But how far do you really need to go back? With any mac you can at least roll back to the os it came with. For my mac mini and macbook 2015 that would be Mavericks which is now 6 years old, more than enough for me. It may be a little more complicated reverting from Mojave or High Sierra to a previous version because they switched to the new file system (at least on SSD-equipped macs).

yes they went away from HFS+. What is interesting is I had an issue the other day where a drive was HFS+ and it screwed up updating to Mojave because of it. It's supposed to convert the drive over to the new format apfs but it didn't and totally screwed up things. I had to go back using carbon copy loaner and redo the entire drive.

Back