MADI to Ravenna converter

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dan2804

Hi all,

I'm looking for a way to convert 6x 56 channel coax MADI streams into the Ravenna AoIP protocol.
I know there are one or two boxes out there capable of converting MADI to AoIP, but they are generally quite expensive and have a lot of features I don't need, so I thought I'd turn to here since I've seen some DIY MADI solutions.

I don't quite have the technical knowhow for board design or FPGA programming, so any help would be great.
In a nutshell all I'm after is a way of converting 6x 56 channel MADI streams with a direct one to one patch to the Ravenna AoIP protocol. I don't need any fancy DSP options, custom routing matrixes or anything like that. Just something I can plug into my network and patch on the network.

I look forward to hearing what you guys have to say about this

Hi,

Probably the madi side of this would be the easier part; I guess the AoIP part is more complex as it deals with many protocols (PTP2, RTP, QoS, ...)

Should you decide to go for an off-the-shelf solution, please find some suggestions below:

https://www.directout.eu/en/products/montone42/

https://appsys.ch/en/products/digital-format-converters/multiverter-mvr-64

Best regards,

Rogy

Hi Rogy,

I am aware of the converters on the market (as I said in my original post), however a lot of them become very ineffective in terms of cost when you need to convert more than 4 MADI streams to AoIP.

In terms of the AoIP of the converter, there are plenty of modules from Audinate (both as a little plug in card and full on FPGA IP Core) as well as Merging Technolgies (Zman) and a few others.  AES67 is opensource, so getting hold of FPGA code, etc isn't the hardest thing to do, so worrying about PTP, QoS (which is configured on the network swtich, not the audio device), etc again wouldn't be too hard providing there was something to go on.

I would build this myself, however circuit board design is really not my forte, so I wouldnt even really know where to begin on that side. Software wise I have some idea, but would need help getting it off the ground

Latest posts

Back