Weatherproofing a mic?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Icantthinkofaname

I've been wondering how shotgun mics like the MKH416, NTG3, and Deity S-MIC 2 (this is the shotgun mic I have) achieve their weatherproofing. I would understand if they treated the PCB components with some chemical that repels water, but how is the capsule weatherproofed? Spraying it with something could contaminate it right?

(I'm using the term weatherproof because I've seen the mentioned mics work after being submerged in water)

I highly doubt if the MKH microphones are "weatherproof"...
The RF principle makes the microphones less susceptible to moisture, but I am sure that if the microphone becomes really wet, it will fail.

Well, if / when you use them "on location", you'll likely have some sort of "wind-sock" on them as well, which should help with at least SOME of the "weatherproofing" aspect.

I alway wondered the same and asked the engineer on a rainy football broadcast i was on.
He said the Roycote socks essentially direct the rain around the mic so mic not  dripped on directly.  Obviously the mics do get damp and develop faults. But when they start dying they just send them back to AKG and they replace them wth new or reconditioned mics.  This was with 416's.

Latest posts

Back