Looking For a Compressor Build

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ricardus said:
Why on earth would you be hand drilling stuff when you have CAD files and someone else making the panels?!!?
I had 50 blank panels made. I built about 10 comps, 10 preamps and 5 or 6 DI's. Having them drilled - actually stamped - by a metalworker would have been too expensive. The cost of programming and setting up is about €200. If you do 50 identical panels it's acceptable at 4€ per. But with my small runs that would have been ridiculous.

abbey road d enfer said:
I had 50 blank panels made. I built about 10 comps, 10 preamps and 5 or 6 DI's. Having them drilled - actually stamped - by a metalworker would have been too expensive. The cost of programming and setting up is about €200. If you do 50 identical panels it's acceptable at 4€ per. But with my small runs that would have been ridiculous.

Get a quote from Frank Rollen here on GDIY.

abbey road d enfer said:
I built a small batch a couple years ago. Balanced I/O with THAT 1246/1646. Thrust switch, variable HPF dual 8-LED meter.
Unfortunately I'm out of stock of both PCB's and metalwork.

Looks great!

Ricardus said:
Seems reasonable. I've gotten stuff through him before and his pricing has always been good, and much better than Front Panel Express here in the states.
Yes, I had a quotation from FPE at 38€. They do mechanical engraving, which, although very durable, is not nice with small fonts. NRG does UV printing.

Frank is a good dude. Seriously. Even outside the US it's a good deal. He also can help with design as he catches slight mistakes. I have a couple of places in the US but I still order more complex work from Frank because he is a good dude.
I am getting involved with a digital printing company to see about 10 offs and more.

Ricardus said:
So what's the status on this?
I sent Frank a test pdf; he says it's ok, so I guess we can start the process anytime now. I must say I've never really finished the front panel legends, as you can see on the drawing. In particular, only a few LED's have legends; that's because I thought it would clutter the layout. What's your opinion?
Actually mine have no legends; sometimes it's embarassing when I don't remember what does what, I have to look at a print...
Also "Pink" may not be very clear; actually it applies a filter that would turn white noise into pink. That's exactly what "Thrust" does; I didn't want to use Thrust since it is trademarked.

Ricardus said:
I was thinking of showing the panel to a friend of mine who is brilliant at layout, and seeing it he could improve the front panel lettering/layout a bit to improve it. Don't know how you would feel about that.
Modifying the layout would be a significant endeavour, with a necessary prototyping phase. I'm not fundamentally adverse to it, but it would take time and some effort.
Indeed the lettering/legending is open to comments and improvements.

I could 'go a few'  ...

I like the pristine gain reduction of those 'that' chips and especially so on some of my 'tube' stuff, where I like basic 'rms or auto'  GR without much artifacts  ..  preferably affordable so as to make a rack of, in the style of those old dbx.

A design that has both 'simplicity of build' plus a few  functional  'twists' -  like here  - is something I could really go for.

My 'first diy compressor' was a gyraf  with 'that' chips and this one  looks to me to be a very interesting 'next step', particularly in the use of some of the more modern balancing-debalancing chips. 

Regards
A

Back