phil spector has left the building

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ruffrecords said:
A real shame. A great guy. Flawed but great.

Cheers

Ian

Very flawed. He once kidnapped Joey Ramone while doing a ramone’s record. The band drove to spector’s house and stormed the gates to rescue their singer. They were met at gun point, threatened and then invited inside where they were forced to hear him play piano and sing all night.

Fame can do strange things to people ,
Phil was a hostage to his own demons a long time by the looks ,
He ended up jailer and executioner to those closest to him for a finish  :(

Rather then focus on the bad/negatives I am reminded he did  end of the century, by the ramones.
It cost them 700,000 and had them doing things like listening to the intro chord to “ rock and roll high school” for 12 hours one day.

Wow 700 thousand was a lot of cash for 1980. Some nice subtleties on that record though .

Tubetec said:
Wow 700 thousand was a lot of cash for 1980. Some nice subtleties on that record though .

A semi-famous local engineer/producer called it "The Ramones worst album". I actually agree.

ruffrecords said:
Today the BBC apologised for initially saying he was talented but flawed.  :-\

Cheers

Ian
The ravages of PC...
Why apologize for something that is an established fact?
I have the utmost respect for what he achieved and still thrill me when I hear Be my baby, but he was crazy.
Not acknowledging that is a sign of disrespect IMO; it makes all he did suspicious.

I liked how the brass arrangements on Rock n roll radio sound, overall the album does sound tame compared to their earlier work , very little of their studio output ever measured up to the urgency and rawness of their live shows . 

I'll replace the profanity with keyboard symbols.

@#$@#$ Phil Spector and %@#$@# all the people who enabled him.

And there were probably equally talented people who could have risen to that level of fame if he hadn't been a grandstanding #$@#$ who sucked up all the attention.

abbey road d enfer said:
The ravages of PC...
Why apologize for something that is an established fact?

Because PC has turned into fascisms sir.

You can not even debate it. Modern day Spanish inquisition is the consequence.

evil grill said:
A semi-famous local engineer/producer called it "The Ramones worst album". I actually agree.

I don’t know, I actually like the opening track and one or two others. If you ask me  their worst was rock and roll high school the movie.

sahib said:

Absolutely agree, I was shocked when I found out that to qualify for being nominated to the Oscars your movie has to have something pertaining to LGBTQ (am I missing letters?) race minorities and gender diversity. Now, I am not against any of that, I am against that political correctness is more important for the Oscars than the movie itself, so you can't have a movie with all white straight males because it won't be nominated, but if you make a movie and Jesus is a japanese actor, mary magdalene is non-binary trans actor married to Jesus with adopted children, the apostles are mixed races and genders, and the romans who tortured Jesus are roman female soldiers, then it has all the chances of winning.

https://thegavoice.com/culture/new-rules-for-oscars-best-picture-nominees-require-more-lgbtq-racial-minorities-and-women-in-films/

My only hope is that one day we will look back a this age and know how ridiculous everything was.

sahib said:

I guess you figured out my question was a rhetorical one...  8)
Please don't call me sir, that's my father.
Please don't call me sir, it is too genre-determining.  ???

It is nice to see some rational thinking going on with this subject, even if it is only to vent frustration.

In short, IP promotes tribalism and listmaking for the greater good.  History buffs have cause for concern.

I guess post Weinstein the Hollywood film industry is desperately trying to polish up its image , trouble is its the same people who were willfully turned a blind eye all along . I'm not fooled by the kneejerk overeaction for one second, its like a whirlpool of confirmation bias to make a bunch of rich and famous people feel a little better when they wake up in the morning. Most of the film makers and actors with any integrity blew out of Hollywood long ago , or never engaged with it to begin with.

I just dont watch movies much anymore , your average action/adventure/sci-fi movie is like its destined for people with the attention span of a goldfish , the image constantly shifts viewpoint every two seconds(or even less) and your assaulted from every angle by synthetic biff boff and boom sounds , the input overload leaves me feeling rattled.

Back