$100k plus mics on drum kit!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think Jeff Porcaro was the kind if drummer who hits things unintentionally.

Btw i am suuuuper satisfied with mxl603 type mics on toms. Kill any dynamic i tried there. And they can hit them all day long for 30$ piece.
Years ago I converted a pair of mxl603 mics to the royer cathode follower mod and use them pretty much exclusively on toms. Except for the not so pretty bleed from the cymbals you have to keep in mind, and work around with positioning, they sound stellar.

Years ago I converted a pair of mxl603 mics to the royer cathode follower mod and use them pretty much exclusively on toms. Except for the not so pretty bleed from the cymbals you have to keep in mind, and work around with positioning, they sound stellar.
There are many capsules that would fit 603 bodies that came out since 2018 when i posted this. With much better off axis sound. Just now i'm working on a mic like this and i'm using Neumann's k105 (kms105) capsule that fits. As it's designed for stage use, it has out of this world rear rejection. Sadly i have only one, so it will probably live on snare.

There are many capsules that would fit 603 bodies that came out since 2018 when i posted this. With much better off axis sound. Just now i'm working on a mic like this and i'm using Neumann's k105 (kms105) capsule that fits. As it's designed for stage use, it has out of this world rear rejection. Sadly i have only one, so it will probably live on snare.
I just had a look at the polar diagrams of the kms105, those are incredible, perfect for drum recording (and of course voice performance on stage), I guess.
Do you think the 3u hyper capsule is significantly better in a drum context than the stock mxl cardioid one?

I just had a look at the polar diagrams of the kms105, those are incredible, perfect for drum recording (and of course voice performance on stage), I guess.
Do you think the 3u hyper capsule is significantly better in a drum context than the stock mxl cardioid one?
No idea, haven't tested them. Should be at least more consistent. Not sure if you'd want a hyper, as they let more leak from 180° than cardioid. If you opt for a hyper make sure cymbals are more at 140°(220°) than 180°.

Back