3D "AIR" EQ - "Night EQ" PCB's Complete!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[quote author="MrZpliff"]Hi there ...
is there any news about the full version pcb:s ?

just wonderin :cool:[/quote]

I haven't heard from Peter for a while about the Full version PCB's :roll:

I just sent him an email... hopfully we'll hear from him soon.

If he decides NOT to make them, it is possible that Fabio might.

Kevin

Hi all

I've been buried in the studio for the last month doing a drama series

http://www.tvsa.co.za/showinfo.asp?showid=1197

I am in the studio right now preparing for the final approval in a couple of hours, so I hope to get some family & DIY time in this weekend

I have done the layout, will just have to check it & then build a prototype.

Peter

[quote author="peterc"]

Peter[/quote]

Sounds great Peter :guinness: :thumb:

[quote author="peterc"]Hi all

I've been buried in the studio for the last month doing a drama series

http://www.tvsa.co.za/showinfo.asp?showid=1197

I am in the studio right now preparing for the final approval in a couple of hours, so I hope to get some family & DIY time in this weekend

Peter[/quote]

eagerly awaiting the full-board layout. : )
cheers ~ :guinness:
-Jay

GREAT :green:

I didn't think you'd give up after seeing the (almost complete) PCB.

Thanks Peter,

BTW, I have ALL the components to load the FULL version in stock already so if you want or can, send me a board or so :green: & I'll check it out too.
I can do a side by side comparison to the original.
When the boards are ready will I get the Ultra-Mega-Cool Guy Discount ? :razz:

Kevin

[quote author="khstudio"]GREAT :green:

I didn't think you'd give up after seeing the (almost complete) PCB.

Thanks Peter,

BTW, I have ALL the components to load the FULL version in stock already so if you want or can, send me a board or so :green: & I'll check it out too.
I can do a side by side comparison to the original.
When the boards are ready will I get the Ultra-Mega-Cool Guy Discount ? :razz:

Kevin[/quote]

yah i have all the caps in my stock, but even though i have thousands of resistors I don't have most of them on the list (i have 4 of types required!). hmm.. this is going to require more digging.

did you mouser your resistors?

-Jay

[quote author="khstudio"]I'll be honest with you... on my first prototype of the high shelves version I used the "closest" values - Like:

64.9k = 68k
511 ohm = 510 ohm
5.62k = 5.6k

Etc...

It worked so good that when I built my 4 ch version of the high shelves I was concerned that it "MAY" not sound as good as the 1st prototype with the "wrong" values :idea:

I am so close to having it done, maybe tonite if I can find time. I will post back the results if it is better or worse or whatever.

The only difference was the volume was "slightly" higher on the proto (Vers 1) because of this but it sounded GREAT so I didn't care.

If you look at the schematic you can see that ALL the "close value" caps make the volume increase as oppossed to the listed values.

Don't be scared :wink: Although... this was with the shelves only... the FULL version may be more sensitive :!:

Kevin[/quote]

haha ok Kevin. Yah I want the full version with two channels, with possible changes on the fixed bands for future mods.

Tonight I researched and ordered all of the resisters at mouser that I was missing (most of them). Found that I had all the pot's but the CCW ones in my stock, but just ordered a few from Small Bear.
Most of the <1uf caps that I'm using are WIMA, ordered cheap from www.futurlec.com. Trying Nichicon for the other stuff.
I have Metal Poly for 1Uf or WIMA, have to decide which might be best I guess..

For those interested here are the Mouser PN's for some of the resistors (double checking may be required):
660-MF1/4DC47R5F
660-MF1/4DC2000F
71-RN60D64R9F/R
660-MF1/4CC5110F
71-RN55D1270F
660-MF1/4DC1271F
660-MF1/4DC2051F
660-MF1/4DC2052F
660-MF1/4DC8251F
660-MF1/4DC8252F
660-MF1/4DC1541F
271-18.2K-RC
660-MF1/4DC2002F
660-MF1/4DC4991F
660-MF1/4DCT52R5622F100
660-MF1/4DLT52R5621F40
660-MF1/4DC5111F

anyway, very cool. Good luck with the rest of the build. I might have to breadboard this instead of paying those high expresspcb rates. But i'd like to check out the expressPCB CAD file too.

later !

-Jay

Wow, cool project. I just read all 16 pages of it. I'll probably be in for 2 full versions when they are available. I have too many things to start and finish now anyway.

Matt

Kevin. Can I ask what PCB software you are using for your layouts ?
In fact, as a general question, what is the best software for this kind of stuff?
I take it the final output is a Gerber format document.
Thanks

[quote author="barclaycon"]Kevin. Can I ask what PCB software you are using for your layouts ?
In fact, as a general question, what is the best software for this kind of stuff?
I take it the final output is a Gerber format document.
Thanks[/quote]

PCB Express FREE software.

It does NOT create Gerbers :mad:
I wish... but for me it works because it's all I have & I'm etching my own. Printing is all I need. It's a shame because all the hard work I've done can not be simply passed on to the board makers... like Peter, he designed a NEW board around the schematic & Original PCB files I made.

Kevin

Update on the PCB. I'll try & get one done this week for a test.

I have used pots with 5mm leg space & the same kind of Alps push switch that Jakob has used on the Calrec EQ boards of his. Connectors are Molex.

The Shelf switch I see as a Lorlin type wired to the PCB with ribbon (or other) cable.

Neq_web.jpg

Peter

[quote author="peterc"]Update on the PCB. I'll try & get one done this week for a test.

I have used pots with 5mm leg space & the same kind of Alps push switch that Jakob has used on the Calrec EQ boards of his. Connectors are Molex.

The Shelf switch I see as a Lorlin type wired to the PCB with ribbon (or other) cable.

Neq_web.jpg

Peter[/quote]

What program are you using for layout?

[quote author="khstudio"][quote author="BR"]Dude, that looks great. I think I really need one of those 4 pack.
What knobs are those? They look like Elmas.[/quote]

Yea I'm pretty stoked about this one too. I made 6 different faceplates yestarday for several projects... I feel like a factory.

Knobs are from Radio Shack... I WISH I knew where to get them in bulk because Radio Shack bumps the price

I make my own faceplates in FPD, then mirror the image, print on lable paper (BACK/ WAX Side) , Super 77 glue (spray) the face then CARFULLY lay the cut out pieces on, then rub them on til they stick, peel off, let dry & Clear Coat... DONE :green:

Thanks,
Kevin[/quote]

Can you go into more detail about how you make your face plates. I'm not exactly sure what kinda of paper you print to.

KILLER :thumb:

Peter... I forgot what size you said the boards were :?

I'm wondering if two will fit side by side with enough room for a power switch? There's about 16 inches of usable (front panel) space in the chassis that most of us buy here in the US from Par-Metal.

Thanks man,
Kevin

Sender,
I can't explain it too much better than I have already (this post & others)

Also, others & myself have described this SEVERAL times... do a search.

The answer is Lable Paper... peel off the stickers & print on the wax paper upsidedown, spray 77 glue on faceplate, then rub what you printed onto the face then clear coat it after it dries.

It's a DIY faceplate & you'll have to go thru it to come up with your own system but done right can look very good but IS a PATA.

Kevin

I use Traxmaker PCB software, works well & I know it well.

The boards are 185mm x 80mm, 7.3" x 3.1" if my calculator is right... There should be an inch or so for a power switch.

Peter

Latest posts

Back