3D "AIR" EQ - "Night EQ" PCB's Complete!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I forget... didn't I mention the ohms @ the halfway point?

If not, I'll recheck. I think I have it written down.

The more I think about the center detent pots (or ANY pot besides the originals), you may be on to something when it comes to the "REAL" value & the center point... I'm sure some components could be adjusted to compensate but I wouldn't want to do it.

Kevin

OK,
I just set ALL the bands of one channel to the center & got readings between 46k & 48k... 3 out of the 5 were closer to 47k.

So 47k it is @ the mid point.

Kevin

Nice work Kevin. Where did you say you got those red knobs from? I really like them on your front panel design :thumb:

I think I need to start more colourful designs for my cases :green:

BTW, those are Mnats PSU boards? That's really great as I have a bunch waiting to be used.

Hi Kevin,

congrats :thumb:

easyest way to compare is to plug both units in your patchbay, both set to bypass. (1 ch. nightair/1 ch.3dAir). Feed them with a squarewave signal and scope before and after elcos C1, C14 and C15. This way you also check for faulty Op-amps U4 at pin 1 and 7 and U5 at pin 6, cause these are always in your signal chain. Your described harshness may come from these, if there's something wrong. The filter-caps in the nightair has the cheapest availiable 1uF poly's built in, but in bypass the filter stages are out of circuit.

[quote author="Harpo"]Hi Kevin,

congrats :thumb:

easyest way to compare is to plug both units in your patchbay, both set to bypass. (1 ch. nightair/1 ch.3dAir). Feed them with a squarewave signal and scope before and after elcos C1, C14 and C15. This way you also check for faulty Op-amps U4 at pin 1 and 7 and U5 at pin 6, cause these are always in your signal chain. Your described harshness may come from these, if there's something wrong. The filter-caps in the nightair has the cheapest availiable 1uF poly's built in, but in bypass the filter stages are out of circuit.[/quote]

OK, I will test later today :thumb:

Your saying the Electro's could be the problem & I can see it on the scope. Believe it or not I just FINALLY got a decent tone generator but have never done a squarewave test. I have an old Tektronix 564b scope.

I'm sure this is something I NEED to do for testing a lot of my gear & problems :oops:

The filter-caps in the nightair has the cheapest availiable 1uF poly's built in
Really :shock:

We talked about this WAY earlier in the thread but no one knew what "Type or Brand" they are... do you?

The more I listened to the REAL one last nite it DID work - it was just harsh & I felt it had a "Headroom" issue too.

Thanks man

[quote author="Purusha"]Nice work Kevin. Where did you say you got those red knobs from? I really like them on your front panel design :thumb:

I think I need to start more colourful designs for my cases :green:

BTW, those are Mnats PSU boards? That's really great as I have a bunch waiting to be used.[/quote]

Radioshack knobs & MNATs PSU.

Quick pic of the half done prototype

NEQ1.jpg

I'll go with lin pots for testing, anyone spoken to Omeg yet?

Peter

KILLER :thumb:

I'm very happy that all my hard work did not go waisted. I hoped but didn't think it would take off this fast. Thanks to Peter for believing in my drawings of a unit he can't see :razz: AND for all his hard work too.

I'll go with lin pots for testing,

I think I tried that & it was TOO sensitive... Hooking up audio Tapers BACKWARDS & using them BACKWARDS works pretty good for testing.

[quote author="peterc"].... anyone spoken to Omeg yet?

Peter[/quote]They can do 470K Rev Audio with center detent, they didn't offer up any pricing though.

Which type do we want?

http://www.omeg.co.uk/products.htm

Cheers

Nick

Will someone produce a batch of these PCBs?

If so I would also take the pots for 2 PCBs.
I'm a little confused as the original schematic listed 6 470 k pots but the clones seem to be a bit different. :?

Man, if only Cosmo would be as nice as Omeg. *dreaming*

Rev log is the same as Rev audio right?

And there are several options for length of spindle etc. on the enquiry form. If someone wants to take a look and tell me which is the correct one (or whther it matters):

http://www.omeg.co.uk/bre16brc.htm

I'm more than happy to get a group order together but obviously I don't want to buy a load of the wrong pot. :?

[quote author="sonicwarrior"]Will someone produce a batch of these PCBs?

If so I would also take the pots for 2 PCBs.
I'm a little confused as the original schematic listed 6 470 k pots but the clones seem to be a bit different. :?

Man, if only Cosmo would be as nice as Omeg. *dreaming*[/quote]

If you follow the thread you'd see that Peter is working on it :wink:

I made the schematic & I don't recall listing 470k for the pots :roll:

They are 500k RA... the original ERROR was 5k but that was WRONG & FIXED. (or addressed)

[quote author="khstudio"]
If you follow the thread you'd see that Peter is working on it :wink:
[/quote]

I'm sorry, here are so many big threads and I don't have the time to read all information and let them stay in my brain. :oops:
That's the main problem with all the big threads here.

If it helps I can post the project information on my sdiy.de site (which still has no root page) or the groupdiy.de site which I haven't used by now.

[quote author="khstudio"]I made the schematic & I don't recall listing 470k for the pots :roll:

They are 500k RA... [/quote]

470k or 500k is a big difference. :wink:

But anyway I just took the 470K from Godders posting. :razz:

Latest posts

Back