3D "AIR" EQ - "Night EQ" PCB's Complete!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello Nick,

I want the center detended for sure :thumb:

I am waiting now for the price quote from Omeg but would be more interested in the group buy if it happens.
I think there is enough boards out there to cover 1000 pots :green:

guys,
hold tight if you really want center detent 470K rev. log pots. peter has already gotten some samples from colin at audio maintenance and will hopefully be able to let us know how well they work in the circuit. colin has told me that if peter thinks they will work then he can put an order in to omeg for these pots, but it will take about 3 weeks to get them from the order date.
i don't think that's long to wait since they will be center detent and i'm sure colin will let us know if he makes them available through audio maintenance.
i really like center detent for eq cut/boost so hopefully we'll be able to get these from colin.
regards,
grant

We will make these available in the on-line store.... the only sticking point is the shaft diameter.

Normally all the pots we stock have 4mm shafts (and 7mm bushes)....

If we get 1/4 inch shafts (which I am sure you would all prefer for this project as there is a much wider selection/availability of knobs) then the bushes will be 3/8 inch diameter.

Unfortunately all the holes in the Purusha cases are 8mm so you would need to ream out the holes to fit the pots.

Ream the bushes and have a good selection of knobs ?

or

Have metalwork as supplied and search harder for knobs ?

Opinions ?

Colin
www.audiomaintenance.com

hi colin,
just my 2 cents, but i think enlarging the hole for the pot to 3/8" bushing size would be a better option than trying to obtain less available knobs with the 4mm shaft diameter. i had to enlarge the hole in purusha's front panel for my MC76 case i bought from him and it wasn't a problem at all. just drilled it out with a stepped bit.

my vote is for a pot with the 3/8" bushing size with the 1/4" shaft diameter.

thanks for checking with us. anybody else have opinions?
cheers,
grant

I USED THESE FOR EVERYTHING:
DIGIKEY

P4525-ND   CAP .1UF 50V STACK METAL FILM   ALL .1UF

P4548-ND CAP 1.UF 63V STACK METAL FILM ALL 1UF

Some people do like Ceramic for the Power rail filtering

Also, I installed the inductors just to be safe but IT WILL WORK without them.
Maybe one of you guys with some GOOD TEST EQUIPMENT & Knowledge can test it with & without to see. It was mentioned that these MAY have been added because of the ORIGINALS switching power supply.

I agree with Grant, if you increase the drill by 0.5mm everything goes very smoothly.
Also the pots in my cases are mounted behind the front panel so maybe
there is no need to drill up the front panel as well.

What is the length of the bush part?

I've had the Omeg parts in for a couple of days now & both tests have seemed fine. They fit the board perfectly & are solidly made.:thumb:

I did not check the resistance in the centre position or did any trimming, which I will do when I get some time, but I liked the feeling of the Omeg part.

Peter

What about the issue with the by pass toggle interfering with the vari selector switch in the cases?

Are the pots from AML pcb mount or panel mount? From what I saw, it looked like the PCB's would have to be mounted to the rack base and then wired to panel mount pots (same for the switches).

[quote author="lookn4tone"]What about the issue with the by pass toggle interfering with the vari selector switch in the cases? [/quote]

Problem solved nicely with a special bracket :thumb:

Are the pots from AML pcb mount or panel mount? From what I saw, it looked like the PCB's would have to be mounted to the rack base and then wired to panel mount pots (same for the switches).

In my cases all the pots and switches have to be wired manually. A little more work but in this way the fronts look more hot :twisted:

Hey Tat

I'm not complaining; I'm just trying to make sure the pots work with your cases. We need to make sure that, before an order is placed for 1000 pieces, they are the right ones.

I bought two of your cases for the build. And they do look great. Can't wait to have them in hand.

Now, about those center detent, panel mount pots....

Steve

[quote author="Purusha"]Hey Kevin, what about the lytics... Nichicons, or it doesn't matter so much?[/quote]

I have always liked Nichicon PW's in the audio path!!!

Power Supplies... Low Imp. High reliability & LONG Life.

OK.... we will get them with 1/4 inch spindles and 3/8 inch bushes....

How long do you want the spindle.... they can be 60mm long and then you can just cut them down to a short size to suit.

Colin
www.audiomaintenance.com

Will the spindles be from metal or plastic?

I hate to cut metal ones... plastic is no problem. In my cases the ideal would be 17mm from the flat
part of the pot to the end of the spindle (this includes the part where the screw comes on).

[quote author="Purusha"]Will the spindles be from metal or plastic?

I hate to cut metal ones... plastic is no problem. In my cases the ideal would be 17mm from the flat
part of the pot to the end of the spindle (this includes the part where the screw comes on).[/quote]
Nah... while plastic will be fine, the hassle to cut metal is just once, but turning plastic-shaft-pots is for the rest of the life of the unit :wink:

Back