3D "AIR" EQ - "Night EQ" PCB's Complete!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have everything pretty much stuffed except for the power supply.

I have a few questions about the P/S from Peter, so hopefully someone can help me out!

peter_psu.jpg

I think I ordered some incorrect caps, and I'm unsure about the value of some parts.

1. For the 1000uF caps in the middle, are 1000uF/10v too small of voltage?

2. For the 10uF cap in the lower right corner, is it okay to be 63v or does it need to be 35v?

3. For the rest of the places marked in red, the writing on my board isn't clear. Could someone let me know what values go in those slots?

4. Are heat sinks a requirement for LM317 and LM337?

Thanks again for any help!

[quote author="funkdrmr"]
I think I ordered some incorrect caps, and I'm unsure about the value of some parts.

1. For the 1000uF caps in the middle, are 1000uF/10v too small of voltage?

2. For the 10uF cap in the lower right corner, is it okay to be 63v or does it need to be 35v?

3. For the rest of the places marked in red, the writing on my board isn't clear. Could someone let me know what values go in those slots?

4. Are heat sinks a requirement for LM317 and LM337?

Thanks again for any help![/quote]

1) should be 25V or higher. This is a 2 X 15V (or 2 X 18V) psu right?
2) in PSU's higher voltage is no prob, so yes...63V is ok.
3) I think they should be 100nF (0,1uF)
4) running cool means longer life....

Some pics!

Sorry if they're grainy....my phone camera is all I've got right now.

main.jpg

power_supply.jpg

And of course....a QUESTION!

In the next pic, you can see one of the voltage regulator heat sink BARELY touching the 1000uF capacitor on the power supply board.

ps_heat.jpg

Is this ok? Do I need to bend the heat sink out a little bit to fix this?

Just waiting on the pots from the UK now and I can fire this thing up!

I am stuffing the resistors on my boards righ tnow and was wondering about the *optional* 22R resistors. Can anyone explain what the options are?

Thanks,
Adam

Optional 22R?

I think the ones you are referring to are the ones that decouple the opamps from each other. You could leave them out without much difference, I think, although I have always had them in mine.

Peter

...and by 'leave them out' I suspect Peter means 'short them out / replace them with a wire bridge'. These resistors are in series with the opamps' supply lines; if you just leave them open the circuit won't work.

JD 'correct me if I'm wrong' B.

[quote author="bluezplaya"]I am stuffing the resistors on my boards righ tnow and was wondering about the *optional* 22R resistors. Can anyone explain what the options are?

Thanks,
Adam[/quote]

optional = means use or don't use.

The 22R resistors you're referring to are for the input of the POWER RAILs - \
They weren't in the Original Unit BUT are fine to install & are probably a good idea.

[quote author="peterc"]
...and by 'leave them out' I suspect Peter means 'short them out / replace them with a wire bridge'.

Ooops :oops:

JD is correct. Thx JD[/quote]

YES, this is correct.
If you leave them out you won't get any power to the board. :wink:

I am using Panasonics on these boards and I get to the 470uf/63v caps and they are too big for the solder holes. They are Panasonic FC's. Does anyone know another series of Panasonic that would have smaller caps of this value? I'm wanting to keep this build to 1U space rack.

[quote author="bluezplaya"]Does anyone have a P/N on the 100uH inductor? If not a P/N, a brand?[/quote]

Mouser:

J.W.Miller Conformal Coated Chokes
100uH 5%

P/N: 542-78F101-RC

If they don't have these in stock you can get the same thing in a slightly smaller or larger size (I forget which one) both will work & I've used both.
Just make sure it's 100uH :!:

Latest posts

Back