4in1 tube mic preamp SE/PP TRI/PEN

Help Support GroupDIY:

solkatten

The clear winner in the THD department is triode input plus PP output. The PP does a good job on canceling the H2 which dominated the distortion in SE mode...

The pentode plus SE has lower THD than triode plus SE, which I thought was a suprise. But in combination with PP the pentode gave higher THD... is there some cancelation mechanism? What do you guys make out of this?

THD at 1K 0dBu

TRI PP: 0,3%
PEN SE: 0,6%
TRI SE: 1,4%
PEN PP: 1,7%

Last edited:

solkatten

The lowest THD is actually "UL" 3/4 towards pentode mode, plus PP at 0,15%. The plot thickens...

Attachments

• UL PP.jpg
    UL PP.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 34

solkatten

You live and you learn...

Increasing the output towards +15db didnt increase THD much, but a hotter input signal did, so it was the input stage that generated the distortion. The CF was at half the supply voltage a 5ma so it should be in a good place, the 6j32p anode was anemic at 0,9 ma and a supply voltage of 160v. Now supply voltage 200v bias at 3ma. I set it up as Morgon Jones says it should be done... I also realized I hooked up the screens pin 2 and 7 to the grid instead of the cathode... And pin 8 is now connected to cathode instead of pin 1. And now the THD looks better... and the measurments makes more sense...

The slightly hotter PP is 0.18% at 1K
SE is at 0,35%

Attachments

• tri pp v2.jpg
    tri pp v2.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 14
  • tri se v2.jpg
    tri se v2.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

solkatten

Because this is a coloured pre, how much THD can it crank? Pentode/SE/no feedback/+15db its 2,7% of delicious valve harmonics 😉

Attachments

• pen se no feedback +15db.jpg
    pen se no feedback +15db.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:

solkatten

Maybe we dont need the gain switch. Triode mode is clean enough and got a lot of headroom. And you have good controll over gain by the PP/SE and TRI/PEN controll. PP has 11db more gain than SE and PEN having 10db more gain than TRI... And you have no longer got interaction between gain switch and tri/pen controll...

..and I really like the openess of the sound in this preamp, whitout any global feedback..

Last edited:

solkatten

Now I think I am satisfied with the design. It sounds and measures good. I will remove the gain switch... I will record a couple of samples, then the preamp will do a studio tour and do some real life work... Thanxs for the feedback (y)

solkatten

Updated schematics input stage

Attachments

• 215D53BF-01E6-4C65-87FB-96F50EEFF27B.jpeg
    215D53BF-01E6-4C65-87FB-96F50EEFF27B.jpeg
    187.5 KB · Views: 23

Latest posts