500 series modular API style console...625CR Control Room Module Done Page 21!!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Input Channel Fader:
(see the previous pose for input channel details)

The PCB’s for this module as well as related backplane are on order and expected next week. This is also fairly self-explanatory. I see no changes with this one either since I am under way with it.

Not much to explain except the faders are the full throw P&G’s. The rectangular geometry to the right of the fader is a milling in the faceplate for a plastic scribble strip. It’s an easy, simple and cheap way of not putting console or masking tape all over the board. Or even worse, just marking right on the faceplates! Indications are not figured out yet. They will naturally be on the left on the faders. I will collect the data for those markings while testing the modules for best accuracy.

Insert is a switch to flip a relay to access the channel’s EQ slot. Allocations for this relay are on the backplane below the fader.

Mic/Line is a switch to flip the relay on the back of the channels 500/51x slot bucket that will house the optional preamps. It basically selects either the preamp modules out or maybe tape/soundcard return from PT’s as the source for the input channel.

This module will be an assembled unit that has gold fingers and plugs into a card edge connector on the backplane. The PCB’s and fader will all securely fasten to the faceplate and be one unit.

Input Channel Routing:

While I have all of the physical attributes figured out for this module, I have not done the backplane or PCB files. I will most likely wait until the end for it since it will be a breeze after all the other stuff. It is for sure one of the more simple modules in this project.

Every function available here is post fader only. I didn’t see a reason to make more than 4 auxes pre fader.

Besides what you see, this module will also house the direct out 2623-1, which is not required unless you want direct out capabilities.

This module will reside directly above the main input channel module.

Aux Return Module:

This is a pre-lim layout basically done to make sure I could fit everything I wanted to include, which I did. This will also be a little farther down the road once I have the bulk of the centrals stuff handled.

Overall, the signal path for this module will be the same or extremely similar to the input channel. It will be 2 stage and have an available EQ module in the 500/51x slot immediately above.

This module will reside to the left on the centrals directly above the subgroup fader bucket. As of now, there will be space allocations for 10 of these modules. The first 8 will be returns for the echo sends. The other 2 will be available as misc inputs or as returns for the cue sends when it comes to mixing. Some can easily be left out or added as funds permit.

The stacked level/pan pots as well as program and pan switches will function exactly like the input module.

The 8-subgroup switches are self-explanatory.

The concentric level pots and adjacent 3 switches give the ability to route this return’s signal to either Cue sends 1 and 2 or Echo sends 1 & 2. This is a simple way to add some effect to a cue mix or what have you without eating up an input channel. The sends are post fader (actually level pot) only. By default, they feed Cue 1 & 2. Depressing the middle switch will feed Echo 1 & 2. Since it can be either, I think I will label them A1 and A2.

The rest of the controls also function exactly as the input channel.

And here I have a drawing that is a placeholder and layout to make sure I have room for all necessary central facility controls. Of course the 8 channel buckets on the left can repeat as many times as one wants or needs. I am also not showing the 500/51x buckets above. The mini idea is for those who will solely use the input channel with no additional routing modules. This way you can still have a fully functioning desk only with limited features namely busing and sends.

I will be proceeding with the 15” wide version first as that is most important in my book. I had thought of making the 6” wide bucket a standard and then adding the missing 6 buses and returns if need. That would require a 9” bucket. My initial goal was to only have 12” but if I have to vary I would prefer to stick with the 15” size. Who knows? The mini version may never happen either. I suppose I will go where the tide takes me in that respect.

So, there is the current overview. I am pretty certain I have left enough room for the circuitry below the faceplates. I will be dropping in modules as I get to them. Next up are the subgroup masters, which will include faders, solo features, route to program bus and a few other things. Also, like I mentioned before, the sub and program boosters (325 style) will reside on the backplane under the subgroup and program faders.

chunger said:
jsteiger, you're going to make a lot of poor people if you keep going down this road.
Hahahah....yes indeed ;D

@Jeff:

Let's see if I got this right.
I can see the "on" switch on the input module,and the mute group selector on the fader module.
At first I thought the switch was meant as a bypass for the hpf,but not finding an explicit mute switch I guess it is the channel on,right?
If so,one of the leds will show channel on and the other indicates when channel is in "overide" mode e.g. by engaging the corresponding master switch for the mute group or when other channels are in pfl/solo mode,no?

Great work Jeff,I'm following this with high interest!

Cheers,

Udo.

Yes Udo, very much correct. The LED's I am using do not come in bi-color so I have 2. Worse things have happened right! The "On" switch releases the FET muting from around the 2nd stage booster opamp and illuminated the green LED. If the channel is off, the receiver amp will still be active which can be handy. If the Pre/Mute button in centrals is engaged, the FET muting around the receiver opamp can be activated/deactivated. The Mute function follows these same rules. If a channel is on, safe switch is out and a mute logic signal appears on one of the 6 mute buses that the channel's mute switch happens to be coupled to, the FET muting for all channels on this bus will activate. Dead ass quiet too I might add.  8)  It will always mute the channel's booster amp and also the receiver amp depending upon that centrals switch. At the same instant, the red LED left of the On switch will steal the +V from the green LED, indicated the channel has been muted. The red mute LED cannot be illuminated if the channel is off. Much like the Safe LED cannot be illuminated if the channel is off.

Reading that back, it's sounds like a bunch of gibberish! I hope I made some sense on the subject.

Since this came up, I have gotten a bunch of stuff done the last few weeks. I have a number of new metal parts on order to help with the testing of all the backplanes and module PCB's that I have in hand now. That includes 5 new faceplates and a "3 Deep" set of aluminum. I posted some CAD screenshots on Facebook last week. It is much easier to post stuff there than here.

Yesterday I received a small backplane for the control room module. Along with that came the 3 board set for the control room module. I stuffed the backplane tonight and slapped a temporary rack together to hold it. Over the next few days (when I am done with store orders) I am gonna start building block by block, testing all the way thru it. The interlocked switch samples and Elma 2x24 are here so I have all the parts to complete this module.

I got to a certain point with things and had to get the control module done since it interacts with so many other modules and parts of the desk. I'd call it the brain of the board.

Great Work Jeff.  Your a man with a mission.   

The Fader modules would actually be a great add to my API. 

I have a 24 ch 2488 with no monitor section.  It was build for a front of house mixer for a church.
I still have my 440 faders but there is no mute group or a silent mute circuit.
I might have to look into that as an add in. 

What a great design.  My hats off to you.  You are the man.

Michael

So I finished building the prototype control room module today. To my surprise, everything works great, except the DIM pot. I tried what I had on hand and that was a State dual 10k linear pot. I figured it would track better than a dual log pot. Well, it sucks so I will be reworking that to a switch of some sort.

For functionality, everything works perfectly. Solo and DIM both work correctly as well as all the other switching circuits.

Audio wise, it tests out with the AP as good as some of the top mastering transfer units out there and better than most. I was initially worried that crosstalk may be an issue but it is not. I will post some test results tomorrow when I have a chance.

For now, I did add a few pics to the 625 album on Facebook, if anyone cares to have a quick look. This should be a public link so you don't need to be on Facebook to view them.
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.538646356161751.148929.100000491741713&type=1&l=56c6de4cb4

Cheers, Jeff

Wow,very nice Jeff!

May I ask what the purpose of Speaker D (mono) is?

Great work Jeff,I'm following this thread with high interest.

All the best,

Udo.

kante1603 said:
Wow,very nice Jeff!

May I ask what the purpose of Speaker D (mono) is?

Great work Jeff,I'm following this thread with high interest.

All the best,

Udo.
Thanks Udo.

Many engineers I know like to use a single speaker for a mono reference. It definitely has a different perspective over a mono source plated thru stereo speakers. So I have both mono options on the module. 3 sets of stereo speakers will be more than enough for most folks anyways I think.

Thanks Jeff,

got it.
And three stereo pairs is more than enough.
I for myself like one good main system in a well-sounding/treated room with a wide sweet spot and a small one that fits the time,e.g. a ghettoblaster in the 80's or Ns10s later.
Nowadays it should connect a cellphone to output D,right? ;D ;D ;D

Cheers,

Udo.

Back