500 series modular API style console...625CR Control Room Module Done Page 21!!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, I have just wrapped up the building and testing of the 2nd version of input channel boards and related backplanes. Things went pretty well and I am down to only a handful of changes and tweaks to make. I am updating my PCB files now and hope to get the next batch on order before the beginning of next week.

The BI sample pots I received are excellent. The worst dual 10k lin center detent gives around .23dB of overall shift from left to right. So about a 10th of a dB high on one side and a 10th low on the other. IMHO, that is better than trying to manually center the shaft and properly seat a pointer knob on it. My L-R stereo separation with the current design yields about 66dB. That is to be expected from slugged 10k lins. Since the technology is out there and now free to use, one of the next changes is to actively slug the dual 10k pots and have a buffered pan configuration.

The concentric shaft samples for aux sends are also excellent. The only bummer is that the shafts are 6mm and 3.5mm so I will need a complete new line of knobs.

I also recently fired up my old API to take some extensive measurements. I wanted to make sure I was on track with the new stuff and benchmark....and I am. I couldn't be more pleased.

I have also ordered another proto batch of input channel faceplates. Those will be about 10 days out yet. I had to make adjustments for the different layout of the BI pots.

Besides all of that, I did receive what should have been the last Rev of the control room module PCB's but had to reject them due to poor silkscreen. The factory has to remake them. I did not even build them since they looked so bad I could'nt show them to anyone anyways. I am now waiting for replacements of those.

That's about it for right now. Cheers, Jeff

Hello folks

I have just test fit and approved the faceplates for the final version of the 428 input modules. I have some pics here to see what I have been up to with this project. These boards are Rev 2 and will be replaced by Rev 3 when they arrive. I am pretty sure Rev 3 will be the last version. The biggest change will be that all of these board-to-board jumper wires will be replaced by a single 3M header and socket. The other tweaks are mostly logic based changes.

I am finally getting close though!

Cheers, Jeff  :)

Thanks Udo. BTW, the dual LED for on/mute that we were talking about previously has changed to a Bi. I had to rework a few things with the logic circuit(s) to get all the functions operating like I wanted. That required changing to the negative V rail so now I can use a 2mm common cathode Bi-LED in the same product line as all the others. That is the only Bi they have available. I wish it was red/green but it is red/yellow. I think it cleans that part of the faceplate up a little. It helps with my OCD!

jsteiger said:
I may investigate using Alps or Sansei for cost reason although I really love the C&K’s.
I love C&Ks too, Jeff.

Let's hope the move to China doesn't affect their quality:

http://www.digikey.com/Suppliers/us/C-and-K-Components.page?lang=en&tab=08&WT.z_email=CandK_ClosureReminder0213_Transfer_en

Denyle Guitars said:
Jeff, you've probably been asked already, but do you have any plans for a matching 200 series bucket?
Not at the moment but I would not rule it out. I am currently more focused on getting the main parts completed.

Any chance that you will provide 12 channel pcbs as well? A friend and I just purchased some 5104 buckets that are 19" in width each, and we'd like to build a console using your boards, etc. I'm sure we can work the master section bucket the same as you did with 8 channels, but then we'd also like to make at least 12 (1 bucket) more channels. We have 4 buckets total to work with.

Hmm, I was only planning on 8 channel buckets. If that's an old Neve frame, how wide are 12 channels? IIRC, they are not 1.5" each. Could be wrong though. It's been some years since I had any Neve stuff here.

19" wide, is what we were told by the person we purchase them from. We dropped a 500 series module in one, and it looked like it lined up perfectly. I'll do some accurate measuring tomorrow. They are fairly long from front to back, so we were thinking of having a 500 serious dynamic section, and meters for each channel.

whats are the plans for I/O?  how will the buckets connect together (i.e top to bottom; meter -> pre -> eq -> input -> fader, for example )?  what kind of I/O options for patch bays.  e.g. aux, inserts, group inserts, tape i/o etc.

are there plans for connectors on a back panel / patchbay hookups etc?

i have a feeling there will be a bunch of of used consoles showing up in the black market when this arrives... including mine  8)

gunpoint recording said:
whats are the plans for I/O?  how will the buckets connect together (i.e top to bottom; meter -> pre -> eq -> input -> fader, for example )?  what kind of I/O options for patch bays.  e.g. aux, inserts, group inserts, tape i/o etc.

are there plans for connectors on a back panel / patchbay hookups etc?
Patchbay will be the preferred method along with multi-pin connectors like EDAC. I have not done any back panel layouts but may also have some DSUB options there. Whatever I do, I will try to keep the options small. To many options in small qty will just mean they are more expensive than they need to be.

I have a PDF attached that gives a basic side view of the 4 profiles. The CAD for each one is not 100% done but the idea is there. Once you get into the 2 bigger frames, the lower 3 buckets will be locked in. The upper 500 style buckets can be in any order you want.

Attachments

• console profiles.pdf
    116.4 KB · Views: 115
BTW, I got what I hope is the final version of the input channel PCB's in last week. I also got the faceplates for the input channels back from the screen printer. I posted a pic on FB that some of you probably saw. Now I just need a few more hours in the day and a few more days in the week to get some building done.  ???

Latest posts

Back