500 series modular API style console...625CR Control Room Module Done Page 21!!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mulletchuck said:
Just curious, why aren't you using the VC528 as the input channel?
Well, the audio signal path for the new input channel is essentially the same as the VC528. There are many bells and whistles included on the input channel that are not on the VC528 like aux sends, panning, subgroup outs, solo, FET mute and so on. Plus, the send and return (between the VC528's 2 stages) is not easily accessible without a lot of reworking. Also, the format is different. The input channels are 7/8" shorter in depth than a 500 series card.

I could go on but I think you get the jest.

Fantastic work Jeff,hats off!
Could you explain the "X"button on the speaker selector please (L/R swap or mute all outputs or something....)?

Cheers,

Udo.

kante1603 said:
Fantastic work Jeff,hats off!
Could you explain the "X"button on the speaker selector please (L/R swap or mute all outputs or something....)?
It's just a mechanical "clear". I know it's not 100% necessary with the interlocked switches but I figured it was a little more correct than just saying to push any of the 4 down just a little bit.

I did want to add a L-R swap feature but I didn't have the PCB space.

I tried a few different things there and I like "X" the best. I can see how it may be taken as a L-R swap.

Can the L/R buttons be used in conjunction with the mono? Eg listen to the left side and send it mono to both speakers instead of just the left..

Interested in the headphone amp.

Dylan

Dylan W said:
Can the L/R buttons be used in conjunction with the mono? Eg listen to the left side and send it mono to both speakers instead of just the left..
Yes absolutely.

Mono and Right Polarity Flip can also be used together.

The center 4 pushbutton switches are all independent and all are self-locking.

A little update. Since I am out of 2622's and orders have been light, I have had some time to get some more console work done.

I just ordered the 2nd Rev of the input channel PCB's. I added a copper pour to the bottom in addition to the top. I also was careful to get a ground trace between all signal traces to try and help with crosstalk, noise and the like. I had to rearrange the post fader booster circuit since I was not able to achieve complete "offness" with the FET shunts previously. All is good now and will completely kill a +29dB signal applied to the input of the channel.

I changed a few of the board to board connections from 3M headers to jumper wires with a shield. It will take a little more work when assembling but will be better all around for many other reasons. I also removed the insert receiver amp (which was a DTO5) and dropped in an INA137. The left PCB does not have very much room for anything tall and this helped a lot with layout. I also had to add a cutout for the 2623-1 on the left PCB. The leads on the current versions are a heavier gauge than the previous ones so I need the clearance. I put the discrete followers on the main PCB instead of the small DF plug-in PCB's. This also helps with overall layout. I changed the format of the 2 relay PCB's to be the same as the ones used on the right PCB. This will help keep different parts count down as well as cost.

I have also got a sample order in with the factory for the dual BI pots. I have a center detent version coming for pan and a concentric shaft version coming for the aux sends. These are a 9mm version so much smaller than the previous 51 series Bourns. Besides being smaller, they are way less costly which will help a lot in the long run. The thing I miss most about the Bourns is the bracket option. With the BI's, I had to add some small Keystone L-brackets to secure the PCB's to the faceplate which was very tricky as there is really no room. I was able to make it work and actually fit right in with the front panel artwork.

I also ordered the 2nd Rev of the fader bucket backplane as well as the input channel backplane. I improved the overall console grounding scheme along with changing one or two gold finger/card edge connections. Nothing major but it had to be done and required another Rev.

Next up will be the 2nd Rev of the input channel fader PCB. Super simple but needs a few changes. Mainly an 8 pin pico connector to make the mute group switch a quick and easy install.

BTW, as the input channel sits right now, it has headroom of +29dB from input to output. That I am very happy with!

That's it for right now!
Cheers, Jeff

mulletchuck said:
fazeka said:
jsteiger said:
BTW, as the input channel sits right now, it has headroom of +29dB from input to output. That I am very happy with!

Holy headroom, Batman!  :)

What does that mean, exactly?  line level signal is what, 1.228Vrms?  +4dBu??  so, what does +29dB mean, in real values?

+29dBu... 21.83Vrms
+29dBV... 28.18Vrms

I meant +29dBu to be clear. So that is +29dBu while THD+N < 1%.

Chuck, let's say you have a track that has material with a +10dBu avg level. For some reason, you use Colin's ez to substantially boost some regions. At full boost you are increasing those freq by 20dBu....

audio level conversions....
By the way there is an "app" for that.

I use an iphone app called 'converter+" that lets you enter your own conversions, and submit them for everyone to use.  I made some audio level conversions for dBu, dBv, dBm, and Vrms when I needed them for my work on meters.

If you get the app, choose "Audio levels" and you will get the conversions ... also does time temp distance volume currency

I never bothered to check since I used a center off toggle for the freq select. I just set it where I like and switch it in or out as needed. I don't think I have any left to measure but I'll look.

Back