5003 eq building and help.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
before I pull the trigger - just wanna double check...

Are these pots correct?
http://www.rapidonline.com/sku/Electronic-Components/Resistors-Potentiometer/Control-Potentiometers/Miniature-16mm-potentiometers/65225/65-1404

...i'd go with the TAW ones but i might as well get the ones with the correct size shaft for the knobs i've got.

I'm building a set of 525's right now and need 1M Omegs for the corrected attack pot...might as well get them all at once.

Hi Eric

Those are the ones I used, should be good.

Peter

Tungstengruvsten said:
before I pull the trigger - just wanna double check...

Are these pots correct?
http://www.rapidonline.com/sku/Electronic-Components/Resistors-Potentiometer/Control-Potentiometers/Miniature-16mm-potentiometers/65225/65-1404

...i'd go with the TAW ones but i might as well get the ones with the correct size shaft for the knobs i've got.

I'm building a set of 525's right now and need 1M Omegs for the corrected attack pot...might as well get them all at once.

Tungstengruvsten said:
Holy SH%^&#@%^&

The only shipping option to Canada is Air for GBP £48.85 !!!!  my total was only $20!

Anybody in the UK feel like doing me a favour?  wow. i'm speechless.

That doesn't seem right, mine came to australia and were under 10us for shipping.  Email laura there and ask her to check the shipping.  She was very helpful and responded very fast too.

M

mylesgm said:
Tungstengruvsten said:
Holy SH%^&#@%^&

The only shipping option to Canada is Air for GBP £48.85 !!!!  my total was only $20!

Anybody in the UK feel like doing me a favour?  wow. i'm speechless.

That doesn't seem right, mine came to australia and were under 10us for shipping.  Email laura there and ask her to check the shipping.  She was very helpful and responded very fast too.

M

I think you are talking about Laura at TAW?  Not where I am ordering from...same pots, 1/4" shaft though(i need a couple other Omegs for another project)  Rapid is in the UK.

Ah.  Sorry missed that bit.  I know the pot shafts on the 0meg are small but I used a nylon pcb stand off glued to the shaft to give me the diameter I wanted for my bulgin knobs. not the perfect solution of actually having the right diameter but they are good knobs and good pots that now like each other...

M

mylesgm said:
I used a nylon pcb stand off glued to the shaft to give me the diameter I wanted for my bulgin knobs
what an awesome idea! 
also, banzai (I think it's them) sells 4mm to .25" adapters.

I'm going to be using the Omeg's from TAW (4mm shaft). What size plastic spacer did you use for 1/4" knobs? Would an 8-32 spacer (ID .164 in OD .25 in) be too loose of a fit around the shaft? I cant seem to find any place that sells a 4mm to .25 adapter.

Thanks,
-jay

Here are a few choices, all in the EU I'm afraid, although I found a couple at mouser once, but doesn't seem to be a popular item there. If you're shipping outside the EU, you should not pay VAT on these (should be automatic at banzai, not sure of the other place).

http://www.banzaimusic.com/Axis-Converter-6-3mm-4mm.html
http://www.banzaimusic.com/Axis-Converter-PL-63.html
http://www.selectronic.fr/article.asp?article_ref_entier=10.9176-20

Has anyone finished some of these eq's yet? How are you guys finding them so far? I have to wait a bit till i start building mine.  :mad:  :)

I just tested my pair.  They sound really good.  I'm using SL-2520 "blue dots" and Peters transformer and Clarostat 308N10K pots and the OPA604.  I thought the 12k sounds amazing!  My favorite for sure.  I was just running some different tracks through them and seeing what it can do.  it was about a 10 min test.  But overall I can't wait to actually use them. 

I really tested it mostly on a female vocal and a bass track.  Sounded great on both. 

dandeurloo said:
I just tested my pair.  They sound really good.  I'm using SL-2520 "blue dots" and Peters transformer and Clarostat 308N10K pots and the OPA604. 

How did you find installing the Clarostat's Dan? Did they basically drop in? Secured ok?

No they don't drop in.  It took a little work. 

1. I made a bushing for the pot to fit snug into the metal work out of drum tension rod plastic washers.  The inside diameter of the washers fit perfectly around the pots but then the outside is to thick.  So I put the washers on a rod and sanded them down on a sander.  That way the washers can spin and keep a good round shape and remove material at the same time.  I did that until they fit tight.  Worked great.  Took about 10 mins as well.

2. The second part that was actually the hardest was finding a thin enough metal washer that was also big enough to hold the pot to the face plate.  I ended up making my own and cutting them down so the outside was just hidden under the knobs from Classic API. So they aren't pretty but they work.  Took 10 mins to make them but I spent way to much time trying to find something at hardware stores.

3. Then just use wire to hook up the pots because they don't mount right to the PCB. 

In any case I would think now that I have a system and found that the drum washer work perfect anyone else could do this much faster then I did.  Specially if you happen to have thin metal washers available.  Other wise you could easily make some with some tin snips and a drill.

dandeurloo said:
No they don't drop in.  It took a little work. 

1. I made a bushing for the pot to fit snug into the metal work out of drum tension rod plastic washers.  The inside diameter of the washers fit perfectly around the pots but then the outside is to thick.  So I put the washers on a rod and sanded them down on a sander.  That way the washers can spin and keep a good round shape and remove material at the same time.  I did that until they fit tight.  Worked great.  Took about 10 mins as well.

2. The second part that was actually the hardest was finding a thin enough metal washer that was also big enough to hold the pot to the face plate.  I ended up making my own and cutting them down so the outside was just hidden under the knobs from Classic API. So they aren't pretty but they work.  Took 10 mins to make them but I spent way to much time trying to find something at hardware stores.

3. Then just use wire to hook up the pots because they don't mount right to the PCB. 

In any case I would think now that I have a system and found that the drum washer work perfect anyone else could do this much faster then I did.  Specially if you happen to have thin metal washers available.  Other wise you could easily make some with some tin snips and a drill.

:) Definately not a drop in. Nice pots tho...

jsteiger said:
Got any finished pics Dan? That would be cool to see!

Sorry for the crappy photos.  I took them with my phone.

IMG00031-20100906-1121.jpg

in%20rack.jpg

pots%20and%20bushing.jpg

Back