525 build thread

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Greg,
Those are holes for 1mm pins. If you want sockets you're going to have to drill em out.
Just remember to solder the tops where traces run to the pads.

peter

hey Peter:

Can you take a peep and verify this for the 525 in/bypass LED? I ordered the wrong one first time around. And when you say tri, you mean tri-leaded (bi-color), right? There are only two current limiting resistors.

http://www.lumex.com/pdf/SSL-LX3059IYW.pdf

Finally making some good progress on my comp. :guinness:

Oh yea, didn't think of think... some of my poly caps were waaay too big. One more small parts order and I should be happily FET squishing.

I'll have a handy parts list compiled for people here in the states when I'm done. Should help people avoid multiple parts orders.

5252.jpg

Hey Peter:

My 525 is complete and happily squishing.

Gonna have :guinness: then get this thing calibrated.

Thanks for the doing all the leg work on this one!

OK Peter I'm all calibrated except for the release-time overide... but that can wait. Nice compressor !!!

525Complete_Small.jpg

Very fast FET. I love the feature that you can increase gain reduction without having to turn up the output. It really allows to hear the effect of the compressor and not having perception change due to a volume drop. Great design.

But first... I don't think I've quite cracked the attack. Here's what I did.

525Attack_Small.jpg

(sorry for the terrible camera picture)

1. Connected C3 across wiper and ground (you can see the WIMA on top the meter board).
2. Cut two traces... one on the underside of the meter board that connects the wiper to the end contact. The other on the top that connects the wiper to ATT.
3. Added a wire from the contact that was connected to the wiper to ATT.

Did I do something wrong? I'm not hearing much change... maybe a little but not drastic.

[quote author="Greg"]Did I do something wrong? I'm not hearing much change... maybe a little but not drastic.[/quote]

Hi Greg,
Nice build.

I haven't really messed around with the attack as much as I should have, but I reckon upping the cap size to 330nF might give you a bit more.
Give it a try and report back.
Also just seen that you haven't stuck a washer and wire on the chassis thingumyjig.

peter

Ah, safety first. Will add that tonight.

I'll also try and tinker with the Attack sometime this week.

Also, reading back... I preferred the alignment with R7 for -5dB (as in the notes) being sent to the sidechain. I felt at 0dB the compressor was way to aggressive. Any additional thoughts on this?

Hey there,

i just started on the 525. Short question regarding the rotary. how should this be assembled ? i am absolutely clueless (as i can read the schematics, but no pro in building stuff together). any help appreciated.

Well. That give me a bit of insight view :) from which direction i need to do which values is now the question ? pinout ?

(sorry for my dub question, this is my first 5xx module)

Hey janczmok,

...But you are not alone, For I am here with you, Though we're far apart..."

I guess, Pete is kickin' my ass - so I was waiting for another person to post first - felt too ashamed :-(

Maybe I have to search more carefully...I just cannot find any hint!! Any...

Pete! Just paypaled the metal work - late!! Sorry!!

Prepare for arses to be kicked.

Assemble the switch. When it is in the fully counterclockwise position, that is POS 0.
Look at the wafer... there is one contact that is clamping the circular slide. That is POS 0. Mark it 0.
Now if you're looking at it from the rear and you turn the switch clockwise to POS 2, the circular jobbie will move anticlockwise to the next contact. That is POS 2. Mark it, and mark em all. Mark one wafer A and tother B.
Slide em off the switch and nail the resistors on in the order that the schematic tells you.
Assemble the switch.

If that makes no sense.... you're in the wrong game.. :green:

Latest posts

Back