8 Channels ADAT Lightpipe for our preamps ?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi!
I have a DIY adat converter here. The adc side works, but I have some trouble with the dac side. I use alesis al1101, al1401 and al1402. For more than 48Khz, the best solution is to use FPGA or CPLD for encoding and decoding adat.

The problem with the dac is that the toslink connectors seems to send bad signal to the al1402, I hjave to etch a new pcb for this, but I unsolder the al1402 and al1401 from the old pcb before I realized that I didn't have copper board left... so I couldn't make more test last weeks.

For the clock I use a pll1700 from TI with a counter to divide it.
Oh and I use a TI dac too (pcm1798).

schematic are available here :
http://membres.lycos.fr/blendinpulse/adat/

As soon as I get my ADAT decoding stuff working I can make more tests.

Great job pilo ! Congratulations !

I have 2 presonus digimax 96 units, maybe i'll try to get some tips frou theyr digital interface...

They have a beatuy freq selection, and i have to say that they works pretty good... i can post some pic if it would help...

Let me know...

Neeeeeeeeeeeeeno

[quote author="SonsOfThunder"]How about this?

http://www.zzounds.com/item--STOADAT

Everything you are looking for is there for $100?

HTH!
Charlie[/quote]

I'm actually thinking of doing this very thing. I already own one and am thinking of maybe making it into standalone converter box that I could use with any pre amp. Of course if somone came up with a better diy clock that would be even better :grin:

The "B" 8-ch AD/DA is actually decent? I'd love to hear from anyone who's actually used it. I'm not a fan of "B", but I wouldn't mind an affordable 8-ch AD/DA. The "quality" models cost too much for my purposes.

[quote author="SonsOfThunder"]How about this?

http://www.zzounds.com/item--STOADAT

Everything you are looking for is there for $100?

HTH!
Charlie[/quote]

I really can´t figure it out from the link...

Is it really $100 for the entire unit (with the rack case, mic and line amps and connectors, etc...), or just the AD card?

I think it´s just the AD card option, but if it´s for the entire system, man, that´s what I call cheap!

i think thats just the bare card raf...

still should be fairly easy to make a standalone box from it :thumb:

Pilo!
Great job! I'm after this for a while, neve too much time to invest on this project. If you need some pcb work on this, I volunteer!

KEEP IT UP PLS!

cheers!
Fabio

Hmm-I wish there was a way to see a picture of that card? I wonder if it just has 8 line level inputs to the converter?

Joel

I have the B 8 channel. I remember messing with it when I got it. I think I bypassed the mic pres or something. I couldn't tell the difference between it and my digi 001 at the time. I finnally got the lynx II card. then I could tell the difference.

I was never able to use the B 8 channel with the lynx because with the lynx you need to buy a $250 light pipe out card wich I never got.

I could take some pictures of if you guys want to see it.

Thanks sonsofthunder!
So that's it. A +_5V power, and 8 line inputs. Are the "better" units converting "balanced" signals? needing twice as many inputs?

Joel

I think Nathun first told me about getting this card for his PR8mk2. So the credit should go to him. He said at the time that he thought this would easily fit in a number of other projects. Looks easy enough to me...and for $99! You might be able to DIY something nicer but, this one is easy.

HTH!
Charlie

Does anyone know if you could use that as a balanced 4 channel converter-or is there something different required for that sort of thing?
Joel

Yes you can ! It is a 8 bal channel digital inferface, and include converters, clock generator, buffer and an adat interface.

He're s picture of the card (available for a month or so only), though I doubt it's detailed enough to help anyone.

http://img.ranchoweb.com/images/nathun/card.jpg

The card appears to have been manufactured by Hoontech/ST Audio. The one I have is marked Hoontech Co.,Ltd HS200303 Rev A.

There are two 28D07RM TL084C QUAD JFET OP-AMPS on the card.

The four smallest chips are all marked "533KZ XTC0214" but I can't find any info on them. I'm assuming these are the ADC converters, but maybe someone else has some info on them?

The large chip to the left on the picture says "Hoontech AI-100 0044E" on it. The three smaller chips to the immediate right of the larger one (from left to right) say: "74HC4040D E6925 09 Un236D" whic is a 12-stage binary ripple counter made by Phillips, the next one says "P25S8 MM74HC 125M" which is a Fairchild QUADTRI-STATE BUFFER and the last one says" IN74HC04AD 0307" and it's a Hex inverter, high-performance silicon-gate CMOS. I'm assuming these chips make up the clock section.

Has anyone looked into how probable it would be to do the same with other cards? The lynx card that was mentioned earlier for $250 would do 16 adat channels at 48hz, 8 at 96hz. It doens't actually use a pci slot and appears to connect with ribbon cables. (although i have a feeling it wouldn't work for this one, not sure if the clock is contained on the card or not). Something like the focusrite expansion might be more usable and it's also $250. Of course if these other cards aren't anybetter than this $100 unit I don't guess it would matter.

Let me know if there is any other info I can get off the card for you guys.
Nathan

Heres some pics of the berdinger...

sorry my camera sucks bad.

b1.JPG

b2.JPG

b3.JPG

b4.JPG

This last one is behind the front panel.

The converter chips are Alesis AL1101 and AL1201. the IC's by them are 074C 91N147. some type of op amps I guess.

Latest posts

Back