8 Channels ADAT Lightpipe for our preamps ?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[quote author="nathun"]
The four smallest chips are all marked "533KZ XTC0214" but I can't find any info on them. I'm assuming these are the ADC converters, but maybe someone else has some info on them?
[/quote]

My guess is ZTX214 PNP low-noise transistors..

[quote author="bluebird"]... the IC's by them are 074C 91N147. some type of op amps I guess.[/quote]

Good old TL074..

Jakob E.

Okay fellas I am waking up this old thread.

I having been exchanging emails with the poeple at SMPRO Audio and have arranged a buy for their ADAT cards at $75 apiece (after shipping costs). Interfacing to their card is trivial. The 8 imput channels are at one end of the card arranged as '1 2 3 4 G G 5 6 7 8'. The board operates on a +5 and -5 volts (plus ground of course) power supply. I have asked for a schematic so that we might analyse the signal path.

Anybody interested in doing a buy???

[quote author="Carl_Huff"]I have been speaking mostly with Danny Olesh.[/quote]
DANNY !
I haven't spoken to Danny since he worked at Bra .... ??
:green:
say hi to Danny from me.

His brain will be going in circles trying to remember me ... it was a decade ago.

I'll catch up with him one day.
The company says they are interested in OEM product and just maybe I have a few ideas.
... as I may have some spare time soon , you never know.

I would not expect the cards to go down in cost much, if at all. These cards are the same ones that we see discounted at www.zzounds.com for $99.00. I suspect dealer cost is what we are being quoted. I was waiting for the schematic before I got too crazy! But it sure seems like a convenient deal to me.

We could bypass all the line receiver electronics and feed the signal directly to the AD input. I think Marik did it once with a cheap AD and said the resuslts were amazing. Let me see if I can find the thread...

He said he used a LL1676 in place of the 5532 line receiver. The only thing I don´t understand is that he connected it as a 1:4. Maybe he just got confused when writing the post. I think the best thing would be to use a 4:1 before the AD, so the typical line level signal would go down to fit the +-5v rails of the AD chip.

No prob Carl, 75 bucks sounds very good to me...

I have 3 adat ports to use on my Motu so it would be great to have 'em on.

Did you guys ever do a buy of the smpro audio adat converters? Did anyone ever use it with anything else? just curious if anyone actually got it to work. nathan

The SmPro people have been slow to send me a current schematic of their ADAT board, so as result I have been slow to buy a gross of them. If the situation has not changed in a couple of weeks, I'll make some free time to further pursue the project.

I happen to have an adat card already, I want to try some stuff with it, but I'm a little scared :shock: to be the first to try it (even though it doesn't look very hard). I'm thinking about rigging it up with some Pm-1000 pre's and using it with my 002 rack.

Looks like they stole our idea :wink: I can pretty well tell from the back layout that it's based on the exact same card.

http://www.smproaudio.com/A08.htm

When Danny Olesh (Product Manager) from SM Pro Audio was asked about the new A08 release he said, "We are very excited about the release of our new A08 converter. Many of our customers have been requesting an affordable 8-channel analog to ADAT converter to add extra inputs to their current audio interfaces like Digidesign?s OO2R, and we believe we have delivered an affordable quality product to satisfy their needs".

The A08 will be available in Q2 2005 for an estimated street price of $149 USD.

Good for them I guess. I think they'd sell a lot more around $125. $150 is just too close to the Behringer price when you consider it doesn't have adat out or pre amps. I noticed also that some of the sites say it does 96khz but the actual picture is of the 44.1/48 card. It's even conflicts on their website. Now if it were 96khz they'd really sell a ton.

[quote author="nathun"]When Danny Olesh (Product Manager) from SM Pro Audio was asked about the new A08 release he said, "We are very excited about the release of our new A08 converter..... [/quote]
say hi to Danny

BUT once again they stuff it up !!

these guys just can't work out if they want to be OEM suppliers OR bring working products to the market place.

An interface for the 001 / 002 NEEDS to have the lightpipe in AND out
and these days it probably does need the word clock ... again in AND out for the non Digi gear fitted with word clock ...
yes the BNC is good

I'd prefer back panel connections but I see why people go front panel. An analog trim feature might put it into a different class to the Ai3 and ADA8000.

A few of the locals have been looking at the OEM card to add to their Mic-pres.

It is very simple
this product
http://www.smproaudio.com/PR8IIA.htm
WITH
the addition a lightpipe to analog section.

DIY heaven
we add our Power Supply and our choice of Analog input and output.
:cool:

hey guys - I am a little slow on this one but the whole idea looks great.
this is 8 channels AD can we get the DA aswell.
I presume the quality of digital convertors depends alot on the line receiver stage. cheap chips etc. discrete stuff would be great.

what is the possibility of 96KHZ
sorry I am an all analogue man but recently I have been looking into the digital option just to get more flexibility in the studio. I have loads of Neve class A gear - good convertors would be great.
only thing is I have never got Pro Tools etc because I have never been satisfied with the sound - especially for the price that they want. 002 is a little more attractive because of the price but still the sound is not that great. if I could get in there and improve the frontend of conversion - now that would be interesting. I really notice the sound of convertors when I transfer projects from my AMPEX mm1200 to digital. so far nothing has really impressed me apart from the Apogee and Tools top end convertors and even they change the sound a little.
what is the furthest anyone has got with this. has anyone done this with a 002 yet or are we a little way off that yet?

Latest posts

Back