A new sontec. PRELIMINARY OVERVIEW

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So for those of you paying attention here is the plan of action:

Fetbloke I/O

opa604 filter opamp

AVX/WIMA film caps

+-24v rails

toroid, FRED diodes and linear regulators.

Cool Svart,

I'm starting on mine at the same time. But I'll probably just use Fabio's 2520 on the amp board. I'm not sure what to use on the filter boards yet. I'm interested in knowing how yours turns out.
btw, did you use any of the parts from the list I sent you? where they ok?

thanks
Gil

Hey I only quickly looked at it and didn't see anything wrong. I'll post my list when the time comes.

I chose the opa604 because it was just about the only opamp that will take +-24.

Cool,
I may go with them too, because other stuff in the box will require 24V as well.
Where did you get them? part number??
did you get some extras? I just need 5.

thanks
Gil

absolutely.

Should be a pretty cool comparison!

I'm going to need another set of boards though, I only have one set.

Getting it working shouldn't take very long. Getting it into a box and pretty, now that will take some time!

[quote author="Svart"]Getting it into a box and pretty, now that will take some time![/quote]

No shit! :shock: Not to talk about my grounding hell to make the thing stable & silent at max boost + max Q. Not that I ever use it that way, but.. :razz:

[quote author="Svart"]Should be a pretty cool comparison![/quote]

Mayber we can do the 'Super Sontec Shootout' when you/we are done. I'm currently working on my 430 clone, it already passes sound, just have to solder all the switches (no pots in my version):

sontec_01.jpg

When everything is working there will be 6 of these little friends per channel in there:

jfet990.jpg

At the moment I'm fighting with 10dB too much gain in the shelving sections, seems it need center tapped pots- err switches - (to ground) as well.

Olaf

hey svart?
are these the opa604 that you are using?

http://www.mouser.com/search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=OPA604APvirtualkey59500000virtualkey595-OPA604AP

Just wondering.

Heya Gil, those are the opamps but I am using the 8SOIC ones because those DIP parts are out of stock. They happen to be out of stock just about everywhere I looked too.

I'll try to arrange my BOM sometime in the next few days too.

I apparently found a good source for ICs. Is there any specific brand that would recomended for these? Burr-Brown, ok?

thanks
Gil

[quote author="Viitalahde"]I've been thinking of buildind another Sontec someday, just to see if I could make it even better. The model 430 might be a nice start..[/quote]

There is one lengthy PSW thread about the 430 and the differences between the models. It seems that people there agree that the 430 series is the best one, or at least better than 250.
There are three main differences that are rather obvious:
1) addition of shelving filters using one more opamp
2) only 3 parametric bands instead of 5, thus less work for the last opamp
3) discrete opamps in the filters

Here is a redrawn and modified schemo of the 430 that makes reading easier than the one Jakob has on his site:

http://www.akustische-kunst.org/audio/sontec/sontec_schematic.pdf

(Because the original opamps had separate DC offset trim inputs I had to change the servo circuitry slightly.)

When looking at the filter section there is also a slight difference: less capacitors. Maybe this is due to the fact the unit is using switches, so we don't have to deal with scratchy pots. But on the other hand we would get pops instead when switching.

I have no idea which of this details really makes the sonic difference.... maybe we will find out. - In case I ever come to Finland I'll bring my 430 for a shootout!

Olaf

Latest posts

Back