SONTEC 432 inspired Equalizer

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Falk

Good evening,

In this thread I will document the build of an EQ which is based on the Sontec 432. I plan to use Quad Eight AM10 inspired DOAs on +/-28V rails instead of HS2000 / HS6000 DOAS as used originally. For the DC Servo and Filter ICs I will use TL064 and TL074 ICs as used in the original unit.

I will plan the audio board and PSU board entirely in LT Spice. Everything will be laid out on a pcb. Until now I built a spice model of the Quad Eight AM10 and the entire audio path including the three gain stages and the five filter stages (2x shelving, 1x lows, 1x mids, 1x highs ).

Any comment, idea, question and feedback is highly appreciated.
Best,
Falk

Attachments

• Bildschirmfoto 2021-12-30 um 01.00.46.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2021-12-30 um 01.00.46.png
    557.1 KB · Views: 160
Last edited:
Love it! Good luck!

Do you plan to use switches or pots?
AFAIK peak level can't be handled with a pot since it's grounded at 12 o'clock position. But I need to check on schematic, I vaguely remember that from back when I was studying that schematic.

:)

Luka

Make sure the QE-AM10 opamp is fast enough for this use - iirc, some of the benefits of the sontecs were the very-fast opamps (high gain/bandwidth-product means surplus gain for self-correcting high-frequency misbehavior even at high frequencies and gains). Some of the recent modern off-the-shelf opamps has plenty of this. Here, we do not need the most important benefit of the discrete opamp; the high current drive capability

/Jakob E.

Thanks for the super fast feedback. Strongly appreciated.

@luka - I found some center taped potentiometers which I will use for prototyping. Later I will replace them with switches.

@gyraf thank you Jakob. I have never experimenred with OPamps and DOAs. So this is completely new for me. In which positions do you think does the GBWP matter the most? In the filters in the gain stages or in general?

Here is the AM10 vs an OPA604

Attachments

• Bildschirmfoto 2021-12-30 um 10.20.46.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2021-12-30 um 10.20.46.png
    179 KB · Views: 138
Hi Falk

If you do a small run of boards I'll definitely take a set off you. God kno s I have that many Sontec parts hanging around I may put them all to use.

best
peter

It might be a great option to use the 2520-footprint for the HS2030 and HS6000 DOAs, at least additionally to what you´re planning for the AM10 DOA. This gives the freedom of choice of using JLM Audio replacement DOAs since they are available in that format.

Good evening everybody,

This year came with a couple of changes for me. I have to postpone the plans of making the Sontec Clone to whenever there is time to do it. I dont think it will be before end of 2022.

I found new rooms for my studio and it will take me the next month to build and move into the new studio.

Sorry for the bad good news.

I ll keep you posted.
Best Falk

Thank you very much. I appreciate it.

Thanks for the advice regarding the APP992. I indeed use this DOA in my Sontec MEP250 Clone. However, your advice didnt let me sleep last night.
So I simulated the APP992 compared it to the QA AM10 and a OPA602 and what shall I say? It clearly succeeds. Much higher GBW. Dont care about the exact GBW - the gain was normalized for comparison. It only proofs Jakobs ( @gyraf ) suggestion to take this into consideration.

Also the simulation works MUCH smoother with the APP992 model. Thank you Pier Paolo for coming op with these great DOAs.

As said. I ll keep you posted but I dont think it will take forever to have a great MES430 clone. If you want let me know which features should be included.

Thank you.
Falk

Attachments

• Bildschirmfoto 2022-02-22 um 09.36.23.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2022-02-22 um 09.36.23.png
    130.8 KB · Views: 31
Here is the picture of some mid band EQing and six APP992 models used in the simulation.

Attachments

• Bildschirmfoto 2022-02-22 um 09.47.54.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2022-02-22 um 09.47.54.png
    85.7 KB · Views: 47

Latest posts

Back