About Changing Tubes

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
living sounds said:
In the Behringer LA2A and Pultec clones better tubes made a massive, easily audible difference.
Myth? I don't think so.
Sorry, but I do thingk so. Klark is owned these days by Behringer and they brought a Pulltec clone to the market. Watch this video at the end, where he swaps the tubes for Mullard tubes and nothing happens.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qU4X4hC7dKE&t=456s

bluebird said:
I don't care what brand they are, modern or vintage. But swapping a 12AX7 with a 12AU7 gets you a totally different tone because the whole gain structure of the amp changes.
True that, but that's not the case here. 12AX7 and 12AU7 are different tubes and he replaced them with exacly the same type of tubes, but a only a different brand.

spunky said:
Sorry, but I do thingk so. Klark is owned these days by Behringer and they brought a Pulltec clone to the market. Watch this video at the end, where he swaps the tubes for Mullard tubes and nothing happens.

I've changed the tubes on mine and have the recordings that show a significant difference. Though I agree with him that that EQ doesn't sound like a Pultec. The Behringer LA2A clone is much better IMO.

spunky said:
True that, but that's not the case here. 12AX7 and 12AU7 are different tubes and he replaced them with exacly the same type of tubes, but a only a different brand.

All good. I really have no problem with the video. I've been building tube guitar amps since I was 16 and I'm almost 50 now. Videos like that don't teach me anything. I was just sharing some thoughts for the benefit of my peers entertainment:)

I just wish he would have match the volume better on all the null tests so I could hear the residual distortion. One was close and that's what was interesting to me. But again, none of them completely nulled proving the amps had to sound different. Even if it was so subtle it's hard to hear with a whole band playing. Which was his point, but showing the null tests detract from that, so I don't know why he put them up in the first place.

bluebird said:
I just wish he would have match the volume better on all the null tests so I could hear the residual distortion. One was close and that's what was interesting to me. But again, none of them completely nulled proving the amps had to sound different. Even if it was so subtle it's hard to hear with a whole band playing. Which was his point, but showing the null tests detract from that, so I don't know why he put them up in the first place.
I get the feeling he was super reluctant to mess with the audio files before nulling, fearing he would be called out for changing the test results.  But phase and level are super important to null testing, even with identical waveforms.  He should have adjusted the second set of audio files in each experiment until the null was minimized, but he really didn't do that.

Matador said:
He should have adjusted the second set of audio files in each experiment until the null was minimized, but he really didn't do that.
Why don't you show us how it's supposed to be done. Looking forward to watch your YouTube video.  Keep me posted  when it's online

spunky said:
Why don't you show us how it's supposed to be done. Looking forward to watch your YouTube video.  Keep me posted  when it's online
I actually really liked the test and thought it was really well done, and very illustrative.  Nulling is an art-form all onto itself.

Also, F-you Glenn.  ;D

Matador said:
I actually really liked the test and thought it was really well done, and very illustrative.  Nulling is an art-form all onto itself.

Also, F-you Glenn.  ;D

I'm sorry. But didn't get that. While reading. My apologies.

And to be honest, I'm not Glenn. I'm much more cute than he is. But I can say that, because I don't know the guy at all  ;D ;D

This is so weird...

It leaves me thinking "this guy has never done a converter null test?", by how he dismisses the - to me - fairly large difference.

His delivery is fatiguing as well, to put it mildly.

Gustav

Back