Adding line input Transformers to Neve 82 series

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For output transformers, Carnhill still makes the VT24499 when requested. The price is reasonable and it's a drop-in replacement for the original pumkpin transformers. I just put 32 of these on my track outs and 4 on my quad bus on the Neve 8248. Next up is cleaning and re-lubing the dialistat switches and the pots.Screenshot 2024-09-02 at 10.36.44 AM.pngScreenshot 2024-09-02 at 10.36.34 AM.png

Actually, I oversimplified. If you look at the Gates Dual Limiter
https://groupdiy.com/threads/gates.44868/#post-770977
you will see that is uses a 10k resistor in series on each leg for a "bridging" input, with a 600 ohm load resistor, this is on a 600 ohm input tap.

tbh it's more than an oversimplification. Putting a series resistance (decreasing the load on the signal source) is essentially the opposite of placing a resistance in series with an existing load (increases the load on the signal source).

For output transformers, Carnhill still makes the VT24499 when requested. The price is reasonable and it's a drop-in replacement for the original pumkpin transformers. I just put 32 of these on my track outs and 4 on my quad bus on the Neve 8248. Next up is cleaning and re-lubing the dialistat switches and the pots.

Audio comparison with and without transformers ?
cheers

Latest posts

Back