Aftermarket Capsule for Neumann TLM 103?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

outoftune

i have a client who has a TLM 103 with a dirty capsule...and the replacement cost from Neumann is almost the cost of the mic.

i'm wondering if anyone knows if any of the capsules being sold for DIY mics might be suitable for this replacement? does anyone have any suggestions?

Is it diaphragm damaged? Have drops on the surface? If it's only dirty i think is worth to try clean it, especially if you consider changing diaphragms. Thiersh for doublesided M7 take 112/134euro - depends on diaphragm material.

anyone know if the k87 style would be a decent sub? found this info on the neumann site

"The K 103 large diaphragm capsule is based on the K 87, well known from the U 67 / U 87 microphones.The capsule has a flat frequency response up to about 5 kHz, and above that, a wide flat 4 dB presence boost. "

K87 is best replacement if not K103. It's really similar design.
Original one is pricey.
K103 price is also not so great:
http://spares.sennheiser.co.uk/neumann/tlm-103/neumann-k103-capsule-for-tlm103-microphone-092472.html
Thiersh (or anybody elso who knows what he's doing) reskin would be much cheaper, but still if the diaphragm isn't broken i would clean it :D

If you want to buy any new Neumann capsule i would go for k47 - not accurate for this model and its sound signature but in my opinion a lot better microphone at the end result.
Also M7 from Thiersh or  D7 from Poctop - these are not so pricey.

radardoug said:
I use Thiersch in Switzerland.

Didn't know he has moved to Switzerland...  ;D

Adress:
Thiersch elektroakustik
Am Dorfplatz 22
07907 Schleiz OT Möschlitz
Germany

The K103 is by no means a single - sided K87 knock off. This is one of internet legends... unfortunately Neumann has caused it to some extend due to marketing bs.
Everyone who has seen the two (original) capsules side by side can easily spot that the most common part is that the capsule is made out of brass and has holes in it. As soon as it comes to the hole pattern itself it starts to differ... they even don't sound the same on axis.

You first should ask yourself if you like the TLM103 as it is.
Putting another capsule in there will change the characteristics of this Mic dramatically.
No one will tell you something like off-axis behavior of a different capsule in your mic.
In the end this will be just trial and error.
You'll certainly won't make the TLM103 'better' just different or even downgrade it.

The best thing for your TLM103 certainly is to get the original capsule reskinned by qualified people (Thiersch is a good recommendation).

Back