AKG Perception P220 to Neumann u87 5 min mod ( p200, p100, p400, p420? )

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Back to report that I'm very pleased with this capsule. Just what I was looking for - an externally polarized 34mm edge-terminated capsule with a nice Sony C37A-like response - no top end hype that needs attending to. Waaay worth the price ($22)! Worth thrice the price.

It looks very much like a single-diaphragm version the brass CK12 capsule, but without it's 5dB bump at top. It's actually a dual-diaphragm, but the back one isn't sputtered (as with the Oktava 219/319). The clear rear diaphragm isn't apparent in the photo. There's nothing cheap-looking about it's construction. Came in the same square, clear box that the expensive one do.

This is staying in the AKG, I have a tube mic with an Oktava 319 capsule in it; I'll use that for it's 'alternate color'.

Anyone know who makes this capsule? Shipped from Pennsylvania. Several different sellers offering the exact same item (at least pics are the same!).
It's made in China, bought the same one from Aliexpress.

Hi people,

As we all know Perception circuits are pure ripoff of u87….
Any chance you know what capsule is in the P220? I know the P420 uses a Takstar CTS-2… but is it reasonable to assume the P220 is using a CTS-1? followup question, is there any point in swapping a CTS-2 into the P220, or is that just nonsense?

I’m not really sold on multi-pattern mics (I find they sound unnatural), so in my head I’m thinking “why buy a P420 when I ain’t using half of it?”

Any chance you know what capsule is in the P220? I know the P420 uses a Takstar CTS-2… but is it reasonable to assume the P220 is using a CTS-1? followup question, is there any point in swapping a CTS-2 into the P220, or is that just nonsense?

I’m not really sold on multi-pattern mics (I find they sound unnatural), so in my head I’m thinking “why buy a P420 when I ain’t using half of it?”
Yes it seems to be cts1, and it doesn't really make sense to swap it with cts2, but the do sound slightly different.

@Khron I hope you don’t mind me asking such a basic question, but I have a few 50V NP0 caps laying around from a previous project. Are those adequate for recapping the signal path, or should I be considering oversizing them to something beefier like 100V WIMAs?

@Khron I hope you don’t mind me asking such a basic question, but I have a few 50V NP0 caps laying around from a previous project. Are those adequate for recapping the signal path, or should I be considering oversizing them to something beefier like 100V WIMAs?

Except for the cap between the capsule and the JFET, everything else should be plenty fine with 50v caps.

Hello everyone, thanks to the information provided in this forum, I managed to replace the 220pf capacitor with a 670pf 50v one, but in size 0603 (turns out the appropriate size is 0805). The microphone sounds less bright, but I think it's slightly less sensitive. Regarding the polystyrene capacitor recommended on the micparts website, what is its purpose? Does it reduce noise? Does it increase sensitivity or does it not do anything? What is its value in pf and voltage? Thank you, guys, you're awesome. Oh, I forgot to mention, it's an AKG P220 that I did the DIY project with.

Last edited:
Hello everyone, thanks to the information provided in this forum, I managed to replace the 220pf capacitor with a 670pf 50v one, but in size 0603 (turns out the appropriate size is 0805). The microphone sounds less bright, but I think it's slightly less sensitive. Regarding the polystyrene capacitor recommended on the micparts website, what is its purpose? Does it reduce noise? Does it increase sensitivity or does it not do anything? What is its value in pf and voltage? Thank you, guys, you're awesome. Oh, I forgot to mention, it's an AKG P220 that I did the DIY project with.
This should not affect sensitivity in any way. It could be you perceive it as less sensitive as it's less bright. Unless you messed something up along the way.

Regarding the polystyrene cap recommended by MP it won't do much, maybe in theory reduce microphonics of the stock cap, but this is highly speculative, and it doesn't mean the stock one is microphonic to begin with. I would leave it alone. Polystyrene caps are also sensitive to heat, so if your soldering technique is less than ideal you could do more harm than good.

I've done this mod on two P420s, and am very happy with the result. Two decent studio workhorses for not a huge outlay.

I find myself wondering now if it would be worth retrofitting Arienne Audio K87 capsules in these mics. Would this be a worthwhile upgrade over the stock capsule? I assume the capacitor mod would need looking at in that case, to ensure a flat frequency response.

Grateful for any thoughts!

I find myself wondering now if it would be worth retrofitting Arienne Audio K87 capsules in these mics. Would this be a worthwhile upgrade over the stock capsule? I assume the capacitor mod would need looking at in that case, to ensure a flat frequency response.

As i understand, the Arienne Audio K87 is virtually identical to the original, so you'd need to undo the mod in that case. The stock AKG capsule is quite a bit brighter than the original, hence the need for (and efficacy of) this mod.

As i understand, the Arienne Audio K87 is virtually identical to the original, so you'd need to undo the mod in that case. The stock AKG capsule is quite a bit brighter than the original, hence the need for (and efficacy of) this mod.
Thanks, makes sense. Figured that would be the case.

I guess I'm wondering whether the Arienne capsule would be a worthwhile upgrade, assuming the capacitor mod is taken into account. From the feedback elsewhere my gut says "possibly", but my wallet says "maybe not?".

Thanks, makes sense. Figured that would be the case.

I guess I'm wondering whether the Arienne capsule would be a worthwhile upgrade, assuming the capacitor mod is taken into account. From the feedback elsewhere my gut says "possibly", but my wallet says "maybe not?".
I would save Ari's capsule for a better, more accurate project. Perception has another limiting factor - the headbasket.

Any headbasket mods to suggest?
Not really, the whole body construction is actually great, but the headbasket type is not ideal for exact u87 clone. Not that it makes a world of difference, but since we are talking about differences in couple of db at max, i would spare Ari's capsule for exact replica with right headbasket type. The capsule in the perceprion is maybe a couple of db brighter than Ari's, but has the right shape. With this cap mod we get the right response anyways, so as @Khron suggested Ari's capsule would be an overkill.

I have modified the headbasket on it, by making a new one, fully transparent, but it turned to be the ugliest mic i have. Great sounding though. Maybe easiest mod would be to transplant the whole thing into accurate u87 body?

Latest posts

Back