AKG Perception P220 to Neumann u87 5 min mod ( p200, p100, p400, p420? )

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I changed this 470pF condenser for a 680pF condenser. the microphone is steel a little whistling. Should I also change the capsule? do you think 680pF is a good choice? Thanks. The microphone is a Perception 220

couplage-cap_large.jpeg

Last edited:
Are you sure you posted that on the correct website? I'm pretty sure this is still an english-speaking forum.

Sorry I was reading the messages with the translater and the transleter also translated my message to ))) I changed this 470pF condenser for a 680pF condenser. The microphone is made of steel and is a bit whistling. Should I also change the capsule? Do you think 680pF is a good choice? Thank you. The microphone is a Perception 220

Why did you change the value of that capacitor? What did you expect or hope to achieve?

I 'm wondering what this capacitor changes in the circuit and the sound of the microphone. What is its role in the circuit. I have read in different forum that this microphone P220 is very close to a U67 AI. i would like to understand what role does the 680pf play in the sound of this microphone. It's very delicate mod to do . I would like to have good information about the mod of the mic. the capsule looks like a Taskar. Should i change the capsule or adjut this capacitor to is right value? Thank you

I 'm wondering what this capacitor changes in the circuit and the sound of the microphone. What is its role in the circuit. I have read in different forum that this microphone P220 is very close to a U67 AI. i would like to understand what role does the 680pf play in the sound of this microphone. It's very delicate mod to do . I would like to have good information about the mod of the mic. the capsule looks like a Taskar. Should i change the capsule or adjut this capacitor to is right value? Thank you
Are you kidding? Have you read what i wrote in the original post, and the ones that follow? You actually have graphs that show what the cap does.

I'm sorry i have read this discusion 20 time. . i'm a beginner. you said that it's possible to put a capacitor 470pF parallele toghether capacitor that's already insinde. I'm sorry i'm just trying to understand. I don't think any question is stupid.There is different version of microphone and different ways to connect this capacitor from one akg to an other
I am a teacher, i sometime have to be explain myself in different ways to be understood. I 'm sorry i just want don't understand and i want to clear this out. i sent a picture to make shure we are talking about the same capacitor.

Hello I have read again all the post it seems that 680pF is a good choice. Do you think i should change the original capsule?
I've made this mod to two P100s. I'd suggest, as a beginner, just change the cap for now. It's quick and fairly easy (although you should watch a video about desoldering smd components - that's probably the hardest part). Then you can listen to the Mic and decide if you want to change the capsule too as this will cost considerably more.

Hello I have read again all the post it seems that 680pF is a good choice. Do you think i should change the original capsule?
680pF for what? The capacitor that rolls off the high end? That would give you something like a classic U87. Don't bother changing the original capsule, with the correct roll off you're getting something really close to a vintage U87. At that point the difference is probably just the acoustics of the body.

You are right. i had changed the capsule and put the original capsule back. now the microphone sounds really good. i really like this microphone very good HF and with the roll off in it's really balanced. I don't just have to correct out a little bit the HF. Thank. I think this 680pF capacitor give a bright nice sound to this mic. I have changed the bias of my microphone using a resistor or trimmer after the fet? I don't understand why this capacitor play such a big role in the sound microphone. I'm just starting building microphones. i'm a total beginner

I don't think anyone here has anything against experimenting with upgrades, but... Most of the time, there is (or should be) a clear goal in mind, as for the "why" (y)

Blindly replacing parts "just because", and then perhaps asking others why, or if that's a good choice, doesn't really work ;)

Please read my last post i'm a beginner i want to learn. i would like to understand what this capacitor does. does it give more HF more LF or MF. i find that the sound of the mic now is more clear. before the sound was much more forward in the 2,5/ 3K now i have a more balanced sound. please answer my question. i'm trying to learn.

"This capacitor" is a bit vague.

The subject of the capacitor at the beginning of this thread is part of the feedback network in the U87-like circuitry that most of the Perception uses.

This later got "confused" (or "confusing") when it seemed like you were asking about what looked like the input capacitor (between the capsule and JFET), several posts above. That, after the location of the capacitor that this thread is all about, was quite clearly shown right in the photo attached to the first post here.

"This capacitor" is a bit vague.

The subject of the capacitor at the beginning of this thread is part of the feedback network in the U87-like circuitry that most of the Perception uses.

This later got "confused" (or "confusing") when it seemed like you were asking about what looked like the input capacitor (between the capsule and JFET), several posts above. That, after the location of the capacitor that this thread is all about, was quite clearly shown right in the photo attached to the first post here.
They probably thought that one was worth changing because of the Mic Parts kit that sells you an upgrade for the input capacitor and a K67 that's almost certainly brighter than the stock one that Matt says is flatter than other K67s. I don't think he's ever recommended changing values of the capacitor in the feedback network because that would reveal that the RK67 isn't any better than other K67s.

Yes absolutly. this capacitor can be placed in many different ways because some microphones have only SMD in there body. the new P220 and P440 are in SMD. so this capacitor can be placed on the SMD part (wich is not easy i have burnt one P220 trying to solder the capacitor mention on the early post in parallel ) you have to be very cautious with SMD.

Last edited:
I bought a used one P220. I found out P220 sounds great for this price point. But few problems found out as well.

First, I use 1073 and set the input impedance as 300 Ohm then the mic is lack of bass. 1200 ohm has no problem. So I think that output section may be weak. Transformer is 2:1? Maybe case the problem.

Second, the mic is a little bit noisy. May be the 22uf cap is not ground and series to a 4.7k resistor. I try to ground the 22uf cap and is too loud.

In my opinion. 22uf should be ground and the output transformer should be higher ratio such as 6:1 or higher to match the output level and have better output performance.

Latest posts

Back