altium designer

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pucho812

With people I've talked to who are gear manufactures, they seem to use altium designer  over other software. Is it really that much more advanced or that much better? Is there a reason a license is over 7000.00 dollars u.s.?

Altium is Nice for more serious PCB drawing (FPGA, RF Tools etc...), shortcuts, tools made easy to draw traces etc... Etc..., and the fact that you can render board in 3D and use Solidworks for example to check constraints on situation etc... Is a big plus.
The Price is because at the end the software is like protools for PCB designers, while Eagle is like Cubase haha (but still works Nice, i'm Beeing rude).

Andy Peters knows better, I think he uses this at work and home iirc.

Altium is considered cheap when compared to PADs or Allegro.  Altium is nice since it's pricing scheme is simple.  They don't charge you $2K for every feature.  If you are making your living with a a layout tool, it pays to have a professional tool.  Then there is Mentor Expedition.  Enterprise tools get very pricey.  Mentor Graphics is sorta like Harman in that they have a huge footprint.

I use a few different layout tools, at home I use affordable  tools and I find it enjoyable.  But I couldn't imagine using something like EAGLE for critical designs.  If you only need 2 routing layers, and do a few projects a year, then I don't really see a need for Altium.

I think that the Cubase comment was comparing Protools and Altium to EAGLE and Cubase, because eagle and Cubase are usable tools, but are inexpensive and aren't considered high end systems by most people who's livelihood depends on these tools.  I wouldn't expect someone to hire me in a professional environment if the only DAW I knew was Cubase, or EAGLE for EDA work.  Granted they are just tools and sometimes the end result may be the same, you just might take longer to get there.

I can say that Altium's strengths are it's unified user interface (easy to cross-probe , and annotate between the whole system) unique IDs and the "Outjob" 

I get very frustrated with the Orcad and PADS workflow passing changes back and fourth by writing an ASCII file.

-Vetsen

pucho812 said:
With people I've talked to who are gear manufactures, they seem to use altium designer  over other software. Is it really that much more advanced or that much better? Is there a reason a license is over 7000.00 dollars u.s.?

We use Altium at the day job.

It easily handles the multilayer boards (the most layers we've done is 14) we do. It handles odd board shapes and even flex circuits. Plane pours are easy. We don't use their "Vaults," we use a company-standard Integrated Library managed by the layout guy, and library management is "easy" compared to other systems. Forward and back annotation works (you can renumber parts on the layout and back annotate that into the schematic). You can set all sorts of layout rules, such as differential pair spacing and lengths and it will tune line lengths for you. (We don't autoroute but the length tuning to match all of the traces in a memory bus is very handy.)

We do a lot of BGAs and it handles them well. Every design has at least one FPGA, and when you do them there's a lot of back and forth between the layout and the schematic as you swap pins for best routing and that works well. (We do FPGA pin-swapping manually, since the rules for pin swaps vary with FPGA family and they're sometimes not obvious.)

BOM export works well, as does fab data (Gerber) output. Oh, yeah, it handles 3D models for components, which is absolutely necessary when you need to fit the board into an enclosure. (The mechanical folks take the 3D board data and import it into SolidWorks.) If you have IBIS models of your parts you can do signal-integrity simulations of your layout.

On the downsides, it has a really terrible FPGA design environment which nobody uses and Altium pissed away man-years of development effort trying to implement. It also offers the Tasking 8051 compiler which nobody uses. But you pay for both of those "features." You'll go nuts trying to sort out the "vaults" and the license management.

Really, in the EDA world, it hits a sweet spot for companies which do a lot of boards that are reasonably complex but not off-the-charts like a PC motherboard. PADS is more money (it's Mentor's "entry level" system now) and is basically Altium's only real competitor. Is OrCAD even still an option? There is nothing less expensive which can be considered professional. We would slit our throats trying to do our boards in EAGLE (awful user interface, dismal library management, can't handle the complexity). Kicad is fine for hobbyists (like the average GroupDIY-er) but is so not ready for prime time professional use.

On the Altium forum and elsewhere, folks have been asking for a reduced-cost version, perhaps with limits on the number of routing layers and board size and maybe number of parts. Altium management doesn't seem interested. A $2500 version which supported eight copper layers and VME-sized boards would sell like gangbusters.

-a

pucho812 said:
I don't get pro tools vs cubase reference unless you referring to altium was first?

Yes Altium as Protools, and Eagle as Cubase, just for the sake of comparing to something.
Both do same things, but one does it better as Andy Peters explained it.
And true that a more afordable Altium would be very nice, not that i need it at all, but it's always easier to start with one program and stick to it,
and just for the sake of using a tool that is more common in the "pro" area i would have liked to start with Altium, but their price is of course too steep.
There is always a big market in parralel of the main ones as always, and the more time goes on the more it gets bigger, hobbyist that slowly become manufacturers etc....
Too bad they don't take customers ideas into account, i guess they don't feel like it's a must as their doing fine in terms of business. Protools took some time to propose an alternative, so Altium might do the same, especially if the company is doing bad or whatever....

Latest posts

Back