AMS Neve 1073 Sweeps

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aaronrash said:
I will however help in any way I can and keep posting the build process.

This would be really appreciated. I can't speak from other folks on this forum, but here (in my ountry) it's very difficult to get hold of the AMS unit. I don't have anybody who will lend it (even if they won't know that I'm going to open it up). And I can understand them - it's too expensive to take chances. I know most local "go-to" engineers personally, so I know what I'm talking about.

Yes, without an original unit it's impossible to do the same thing you're doing. But with the description, photos and your comments it's possible to come close to the desired result.

I've taken a bit different approach with my 1073 build, but it's still based on original layouts. Will see what will come out of that.

Aaronrash said:
Hi AE,
How are you setting this up. If you're just patching the EZ 1073 into a B283 card you etched it won't yield much of a difference even though there is one.
Hi aaron,
the original layout board got its own PSU, its own input/output transformers, and gain switch. It's a fully independant channel and doesn't share any part with the ez.
You also have to plate the cards.
Actually you don't have to if the copper layer is thick enough..the place where there is some current is the driver , about 100mA and standard 2oz material can handle it....some varnish can do it for the oxidation. If you really want to plate (since old neve boards are plated), I would recommend to use solder paste+paint burner like I do instead of chemical products. Those last ones just replace the copper with tin, meaning your layer thickness remains the same...kinda pointless regarding resistance decrease.

There is a entire other gain stage on the B284 did you etch that as well

if you look carefully you can see that my original layout board is 1 x ba283 AM and 2 x ba283 NV (meaning that I've got the other gain stage which is normally on the B284 board)

Also what transformers are you using? I am using the green can AMS transformers, as well as the AMS output transformers. Yes they say they are the same but I've already found differences in both during building and measuring.

Since I preferably wanted to compare the layout impact, I used the same parts between both units (meaning caps, resistors, transformers, but there are always some % error in value). 
Regarding transformers, even between two carnhill with the same #part I could measure differences. especially with output Tx since the gap size is hard to reproduce.. so I'm not surprised that you could measure differences between blue cans and green ones. It doesn't necessarily  mean that they're not the same #part. Yet for me it's another subject soundwise. Meaning I could'nt hear the differences I could measure between the output trannies....

Also If you're going Line instead of Mic the gain staging will be completely different and not yield the same results. All my test are MIC in. It's easier here because I use the same mic for all my test in the same room with the same converters. It's quick and easy to hear the differences between the two.

Well, if you carefully look the schem , you'll see that up to the 50dB position the mic input like the line input is just a voltage divider then an 283NV gain stage then the 2N3055 driver. The second 283NV gain stage is only used from 55 to 80db position (do you remember what position you used ?)

For a matter of reproductability I didn't want to use microphones. I used line input, the same converters, software delay/gain compension. Also quick and easy.
Now next step for me is to split a mic in the ez and in the original board at the same time using the mic input and a position over 50dB. I'll see if the layout is critical for that kind of use. My conclusion for the time being is that at line level it is not.

I have the EZ1073's back as well due to the case being damaged during shipping so while repairing the EZ units I ran test . I compared them directly to my AMS 1073. They sound different... Same exact sound and conclusion as before in my previous samples. It also sound's very different from the EZ1073.

Cool....do you feel like running the same test I did at line level (using line input) ?
On my side I'll do it using mic level...

Also I don't know if you already answer that but ....do you know how the output tranny on the ams is loaded ? with 620 ohms ?

Attachments

• BA283 layout.GIF
    BA283 layout.GIF
    93.7 KB · Views: 61
Almost got all the knobs on the first unit, The dual conentrics are a little tricky... I had to make a custom shaft long enough for the pots to make it through the elma rotaries

Attachments

• 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 45
hi aaron,
keep up the good work....don't forget to remove those graphite lines between tracks as graphite is conductive.

btw any idea on the ams output load ?

No 600ohm termination. Just the standard 10nF into a 1K5. However the rack that it is in (VintageKing) fixes a 619ohm termination on the output.

Picked up a Neve 1084 as well... The 2007 model witch is almost impossible to find! I lucked out. The cards don't have any of that solder mask.

Attachments

• 1084-2.jpg
    1084-2.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 91
Aaron, have you finished your recreation to the point that you have done comparative listening tests yet? I'd hate to see you do all this work and then still end up without the sound. I like you went to no compromise in component selection. Have never compared my unit with an authentic unit, so I certainly appreciate your integrity on the matter.

Would be nice to see you succeed. I'm still going to try to track down an AMS unit to compare side by side with my build. If it does turn out to be due to layout and wiring, I would be surprised. Like Ian said earlier...and he worked at Neve, you would think something that obvious in sound would be due to something more than layout and wiring practices...but who knows...AMS does obviously.

I'm still wondering if there is a trick in how these things are biased...as I ran across a post a long time ago by Fletcher connotating that very notion. That the biasing was critical to the sound.

Anyways, interesting stuff...

ps - Here's a thread over at Gearslutz that makes reference to a few things. Of course, Geoff knows what he is talking about.
http://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-end/550514-what-gives-neve-1073-fat-warm-full-sound.html

desol said:
I'm still wondering if there is a trick in how these things are biased...

Geoff said units were biased for symetrical clipping back in the days ...http://recording.org/index.php?threads/neve-1272-bias-issues.40572/
but maybe ams does unsymetrical clipping....I can indeed hear slight distorsion in aaron's ams sample "Neve VK Rack 1073.wav" from here : http://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-end/494329-bae-1084-vs-neve-1084-a-2.html
but don't know yet if it comes from the take/mic or the 1073 unit.

Alright so I have one unit done, well mostly... I am still waiting for the EQL and Phase brackets to come in so I can properly mount them. The other unit is still being wired.

I just thought I would let everybody know, I understand why these cost so much. Wiring these by hand is anything but simple. It really is allot of work! Not to mention etching your own boards and drilling the hundreds of holes etc... But totally worth it if you're like me and have fun doing this kinda stuff.

I'm glad to say I nailed my AMS units on the head. They sound exactly the same. I'm not sure what part of it makes it sound that way but everything worked awesomely the first time I fired it up and spoke into my U47 it gave me chills. The high end sheen thing is there... I would almost dare to say my build has a teeny tiny bit more mojo than the AMS. They also measure exactly the same.

I'll post high res audio files for everyone to listen to and some measurement graphs soon when I get a chance. It's been fun!

Attachments

• Neves.jpg
    Neves.jpg
    192.8 KB · Views: 42
First off congratulations! Really nice build. If you care to post the etch files I would not mind trying my hand at this.  :)

Latest posts

Back