And another one -GSSL completed (and tubescreamer)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pri

Hi guys,

i completed my gssl a couple of months ago and now added a thrust-type filter and put a little diy-section on my website - in german, though...
There is some info about builing a tubescreamer. Just in case someone is interested and speaks german

Many thanks to Jakob for making it possible, Gustav for the pcbs silentarts, jay-Dee and all of you who shared your knowledge and experience. :thumb:

SSL_front_trustsmall.jpg

As you can see i kept it cheap. I used a meter which was like 5? in my local store (it's a little bit too big for the case, but it's doing the job) and did the text with letraset (i did the different spelling on purpose).

Since i scrathed the frontplate quite a lot while i did the holes, i used some kind of blue-sparkling paint on it.
The knobs were pretty cheap too (0,90?), but look quite like the tyco ones. Check http://www.musikding.de/index.php?cPath=36_99 if you like them.
The case is from evil bay and i didn't recognize that there was a screwhole right in the middle of the frontplate :? ...

SSL_thrust_top.jpg

I really love that sound of my gssl, eventhough i used the cheapest caps.
The VCAs are 2180 LB and one LB 2180 LA (because the send me the wrong) in the sidechain.
I did some little changes like they were discussed in the lab - 47k on the thresholdpot, 120k for better ratio and 1,2k for meter adjustment.
For more and bigger pictures check my website (see link above)..

Thanx again to everyone.

Niklas

Hi Pri,
congratulation for your SSL Clone. I saw your Web Page, very nice. "Das Musikding" is a very good source for rare parts (tubes, sockets, etc.) and its quite cheap. They have good and large knobs for the Urei 1176.
Regards
Bernd

Thanks bernd, i mean yours look waaaayyy cooler, but i kept it effordable for a student.
Now it's time for some pres or rather in the holidays.
Can't wait to start the 9k and the G9...
regards, Niklas

Back