(yawn!) -Another Completed GSSL!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You know... If they're SIFAM collet knobs, the 6mm / 0.25" collet inserts would be swappable... If you want to send me the red-on-black ones, I could swap them over, then send you the grey ones with your 6mm inserts installed, in case that would work for you. -It would mean that we couldn't mail the sets 'simultaneously', since both sets would have to be either over here or over there at the same time... but it could definitely be done.

Shoot me an email if you'd be interested!

Keith

Keith - since you are the undisputed lord of all things GSSL + TURBO would you please PLEASE provide us mere mortals with a concise build of the unit you have just built. I, like many others have sank in the existing 226 page GSSL thread - my eyes like 2 blood red capped collet knobs praying for some assistance :eek:

Would it be a good idea to make this thread the "short and concise way to build GSSL + TURBO" and keep the old GSSL thread as a point of reference?

Praise and thanks in advance as per... :)

Thanks for the comments!

A quick summary of the unit is that it's a standard GSSL with two add-ons: a turbo (switchable on the front panel) and a CRC board.

I didn't have an Expat Audio CRC board to hand, so I made one myself on some modular stripboard... which is why it all looks less tidy, but still measures excellently.

I just spoke to the fellow who ordered it today, and he's going to pick it up the day after tomorrow... While it was being built, I loaned him my VERY original "ultimate" limiter, and he's been using that for about a month while one of his bands is touring the US. -He loved it, and is quite excited to have a 'personalized' version.

in terms of a 'concise' description, it's the GSSL build (with the "low-distortion-in-bypass" switch wiring mod) built first, tested, and then with the turbo added as soon as I was assured that the main board was working perfectly. (one solder-splash between 4:1 and 10:1 ratios was all that I found wrong!) Then the turbo was tested (switched to turbo mode, made sure that the GR is consistent for both channels when fed individually).

That was basically it.

Keith

just can say SIGNETICS and PHILIPS my prefered

gssl-in.gif

gssl.gif

i built this for a enginer and cause of the post was damaged and now no output sound.

SSLtech said:
I just spoke to the fellow who ordered it today, and he's going to pick it up the day after tomorrow... While it was being built, I loaned him my VERY original "ultimate" limiter, and he's been using that for about a month while one of his bands is touring the US. -He loved it, and is quite excited to have a 'personalized' version.

Ah, nice. I have just taken a look to the colletknobs that I have, and what I (might) still need for my projects in progress. Not enough black ones left. However, I can send the guy 5 (new) red caps if he likes that. I don't need blue ones in return (I already have way more than I'll ever need). Free of charge, except that the guy has to make a decent photograph to put it into this thread !  ;D

But now you mentioned the Ultimate.... Is it worth it to build an ultimate instead of a turbo'ed one ?

No.

The Ultimate was what led to the development of the turbo, once I found out that the sidechain made MUCH more of an improvement to the unit's perceived character than the number of VCAs ever did. Plus, 34 VCAs is NUTS!

I can definitely ask about the caps when he drops by tomorrow. -If he wants the black/red and promises to take a photo, I'll have you send them straight to him, if that works?

Keith

Back