Any feedforward compressor / DIY project available?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[quote author="RogerFoote"]

So far, you are the only one pointing out any deficiency in the way I presented the Stereo Edition... Why is that?
[/quote]

Roger, please don't take this so personally as you did until now. I appreciate your hard work and efforts
but like explained before, in my world I am used to compare the unprocessed samples to the processed
ones or at least compare sound samples which are processed through different units to see what works the best.
Blind tests are even better as one doesn't get distracted by the unit names... this is how we do it over here.
I learned this from the best engineers around here so don't blame me. I think your samples are OK for some
people but to me they don't reveal what the unit actually adds to them cause I never heard the samples
without the Pico compressor.

Also levels of A and B samples should be matched in such test by reversing the polarity of B sample and
getting the A and B to null out the signal as much as possible, than this sound clip B is reversed back again...

[quote author="mediatechnology"]Keith: Is that your freezer or the Congressman's from Louisiana?[/quote]
At 4°C, it would fail any freezer check from the authorities... Perhaps that cash I was hiding in there was a little too "hot"...

Roger, the power-sum characteristic of the Pico compressor should be a defining strength of the stereo-edition pico, not something which should require defending... The subject of different stereo link treatments was discussed and at least partially explained in the 'Ultimate SSL bus compressor' thread, and again to some degree in the stereo Pico thread, unless I'm misrecollecting. The effect of changing the mode of stereo detection is colossal, though this point seems to be lost on a lot of people.

The nulling of dynamically-processed soundfiles against original soundfiles seems like a 'fools errand' to me... Since the gain differential is not static, where do you choose the null? Wherever you choose is always going to be "wrong" a second later, after all. -There really is no need that I can see to go that route.

Keith

The nulling of dynamically-processed soundfiles against original soundfiles seems like a 'fools errand' to me... Since the gain differential is not static, where do you choose the null? Wherever you choose is always going to be "wrong" a second later, after all. -There really is no need that I can see to go that route.

I said as much as possible... anyway, I give up. Have fun in your DIY paradise ...

Very nice summary, Wayne.

FYI - I just finished stuffing the nifty LED board from Roger and you. Should fire it up later this week. Keep on doing what you guys are doing... DIY or as a business.

Yes... Thanks Wayne :thumb:

I knew most of that but it's nice to refresh.

I think you'll find in many ways a mono Pico comp is going to be similar to classic dbx but cleaner since the VCAs have gotten better.

This is exactly why I want some of these.

PLEASE... PLEASE!!!
Make some more of the mono Pico comp boards available :green:

I had purchased most of the components thinking you guys were going to stock these things... then they sold out. :sad: I didn't even know they were almost gone when I was inquiring about them in the other thread.

[quote author="mediatechnology"]

I do actually agree with you. A bypass switch is a handy thing. If I had some unprocessed samples to send you to compare I would. You mentioned drums and adding "smack." Do you have a soundfile you'd like to use? My stereo proto is sitting on the bench unconnected. It needs something to do.[/quote]

Finally someone agrees with me :green:

Thanks Wayne! I would really like to send you a drum sample which you
can process through your unit. I am sure there are people around here
who would also love to hear this. Can you give me your email address?

[quote author="khstudio"]
I think you'll find in many ways a mono Pico comp is going to be similar to classic dbx but cleaner since the VCAs have gotten better.

This is exactly why I want some of these.

PLEASE... PLEASE!!!
Make some more of the mono Pico comp boards available

[/quote]I'm with Kevin on this. I had planned to buy some boards from you when I had reduced the backlog of unfinished products I have here. Please make some more mono boards available.

Roger, Keith, Greg, Wayne, Rob, and the rest of the 'good' guys,

Please keep up the good work, as there ARE some people out there, that really appreciate the Time and Effort, Chaps of your caliber put in :cool:

I mean, since this forum started, and I've been here from the start (and Before with TT), yeah there's been some bad vibe times, but generally, the 'goodness' has shone through. please don't let this 'minority' get to you.
I know there are some 'situations' going on at the moment - which I feel are totally unjustified ( you know what they are),
But, Please see it through, and brush the 's**t flies' away, coz you are stronger than this.

just my twopenneth

p.s. I got quite a cheeky mail in reply,regarding the dimensions of a certain panel !
You got to Give as well as take :wink:
you know what I mean :wink:

Have a little courtesy, and respect, and everything will be easier for you :wink:

Iechyd Dda
Steve :thumb:

Because the Pico brain trust withdrew from Prodigy and requested total deletion of their presence.  Very unfortunate; they are not the only ones to do so in the last few years.  You can visit them at http://www.picocompressorforum.com/  Most of their content is reposted there. 

Thanks Doug,
I didn't know that. I was finding this thread really weird.

Did he withdrew because of some argument in this thread, or there was any problem going on?

I don't know specifics.  Apparently many reasons. 

And to attempt to get back on topic, the Pico is a really bitchen' feed-forward type.  For the average gear-head, there's not a damn thing about it that's sexy on the surface (no iron, modern IC's), but the sound and control is top notch, and the entry price beyond reasonable compared to the esoterica lusted after around here.  I hope to add more channels in the future. 

emrr said:
I don't know specifics.  Apparently many reasons. 

And to attempt to get back on topic, the Pico is a really bitchen' feed-forward type.  For the average gear-head, there's not a damn thing about it that's sexy on the surface (no iron, modern IC's), but the sound and control is top notch, and the entry price beyond reasonable compared to the esoterica lusted after around here.  I hope to add more channels in the future. 

To reiterate Doug's points on all fronts.  It doesn't really matter now why Wayne and Roger left but they were a loss for sure, they are both great brains and top blokes.

On the second point the Pico is indeed a bitchin' compressor.  I use mine in a tracking and mastering context all of the time and I grow to appreciate it more every day.  I will have something new to show on the Pico front in the next month!

As Doug said the Pico does not have the allure of a vintage clone but I feel it's more useful and flexible than almost any compressor I've used.  In the wrong hands it's hard to make it sound bad and in the right hands you can achieve very subtle effects if that's what you want.  I have more channels ordered.

Stay well,
Ruairi

I bought my stereo as a finished unit assembled by Roger (as did Doug I believe).  The boardsets and BOMs are over at the picocompressor forum, you should be able to work out costs from that.

Cheers,
Ruairi

Thanks Doug and Ruairi for the descriptions on the Pico compressor, I'm really interested in it now.

Going to spend some time now at http://www.picocompressorforum.com/.

Would you agree with other people when they say there's some characteristics of the DBX 160 in the Pico?

Whoops said:
Thanks Doug and Ruairi for the descriptions on the Pico compressor, I'm really interested in it now.

Going to spend some time now at http://www.picocompressorforum.com/.

Would you agree with other people when they say there's some characteristics of the DBX 160 in the Pico?

Hey Whoops,

I'm not sure I've ever used a DBX160, I did use some DBX over the years but no idea what models (I find their model numbers seriously confusing).  To my mind on individual channels the Pico does clean, forgiving and musical compression.  Even in Peak mode I don't use it as a means to stop overs though, that way of working has no relevance to me in these 24 bit days.  I take between 2 and 4 dBs off of things on teh way in depending on the source.  For vocals and acoustics I love the RMS mode.

In mastering I use the RMS mode almost exclusively and tend to take no more than 2dB with the occasional blip of 3dB (again depending on source).  It just adds the most wonderful glue with low ratios.  Mine had the Cinemag transformers on the output CMOQ-2S (I think).  They add just a tiny bit of weight and round the top end ever so slightly, I have bypassed them for certain projects and if I was building a unit from scratch I would make them relay switchable.

The metering is great too, mine has the switchable sensitivity.  Love it.

Cheers,
Ruairi

Best GR metering of any comp I have; I can watch 1/2 dB GR bounces in mastering mode.  I've used DBX 162's frequently before, and if I owned one, I'd happily trade it for another well build stereo Pico.  The Pico does the same 'family' of GR sound, but is much more forgiving and smooth.  I am finding my Pico 500 module on most lead vocals at mix these days, and I am able to get a larger and thicker sounding vocal than any of my other comps can give me.  There's nothing I can think of that I wouldn't put through Pico, which is not true of many comps.  It's pretty easy to make most mixes sound better than before, and it's really hard to screw up with one.

Latest posts

Back