Any opinions about the WA76 compressor?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RuudNL

I've read a lot of comments about the WA76 compressor.
Some people say it is great value for money, others say that the construction is cheap and that the WA76 has a lot of problems.
It seems that there are different versions of the WA76, it looks like they changed some things over the years.
Most complaints are: inaccurate indication of gain reduction, drift of the gain reduction meter, pots that become scratchy even after a short time of use etc.
Are there people who have experience with the recent production of the WA76?
(I am still not sure if I will buy a WA76, or build a 1176 clone myself.)
Any input is welcome and highly appreciated!

..look at the recent european prices for the klark-teknik 1176 and la2a, and then tell me if you think you can afford building it yourself..?

www.gear4music.com

https://www.musicstore.de/da_DK/DKK/Klark-Teknik-76-KT/art-REC0012818-000

Jakob E.

Wow, I didn't know about the Klark Teknik.
I think that it will be more expensive to get all the parts and an enclosure!
(And it saves a couple of hours to build it...)
Thanks! I will take a closer look at it!

yes, it's really, really weird, that pricing. Uli must be trying to knock the bottom out of the clone market.

..also, what is this with openly selling optical compressors (la2a) despite the EU ban? They just don't care?

Jakob E.

I still have to see an invoice for those K&T clones with 200€ price tag, also distributors seems to have no stock until October.

I think Music Group is looking at clones market as he looked at synth market a few years ago.

For me it’s ok, initiation processors at a cheap price, I’m not sure if the products will stand working for 30 or 40 years as original units.

Also, the three product clones seems to have 600r Input impedance, not so ideal for today standards.

About the La-2a I think they just don’t care about the ban. Or maybe it’s not a optical element at all. Even buying tons of T4B’s I’m not sure you can lower the price that much, a good T4B clone will cost almost the same as the whole unit. Maybe they’re just using cheap vactrols or whatever.

Too much competition in the cheap clone wars, WARM, Stam Audio and now Behringer/Music Group whatever.

Regarding WA76’s, in a studio I work for they bought a pair of them and less than one year later they started showing up every problem you describe.

One of them is unusable right now due to scratchy pots.

The other one meter doesn’t work in any way, at least you can use it by ear.

They asked me to replace parts “to make it sound like a real 1176”, I ended up building a 1176 clone for them, they’re way happier than they were with the WA’s it wasn’t a huge price difference at all. I almost made no charge for my job anyway.

Proud workmanship 1 - Cheap China clones 0.

Out of curiosity I ordered a Klark Teknik. It will be available in October, so just wait and see...
Personally I don't find it a problem to replace a pot (preferably with a better quality one).
As long as they followed the original design it should be possible to keep this thing going with a bit of DIY care!
(I am going to modify the input anyway, because I want a higher input impedance than 600 ohms.)

Please make sure to report back here with full details.

And if you can get any explanation about the optical cell, it would be interesting...

Jakob E.

I will say that building one of the current Hairball kits is much faster than before (takes me about 3-4 hours as opposed to with the older version), the chassis is very well made (and much more shallow), and of course they sound really good. I can only try to recall how they compare the originals, but definitely as good if not "better" than the UA reissues. Of course, I don't know how much international shipping or import duties would affect the price. The Hairball kit is the same price as a WA76 from Sweetwater, but I would believe that the former would last much longer than the latter.

Thanks!

Paul

jackob,

there are ways around the ban on opto's in the eu.  I highly doubt there is a t4b knock off in there.  but I could be wrong.  the price for a kt la2a is 500(USD). not bad price at all, but quality?  lets see how it cuts the muster

I'd be really interested as well, put a LOT of effort into talking to just about everyone knowing anything on the issue, and noone has seen any way around it (yet)

living sounds said:
Here are some images of the insides of the LA2A clone:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/showpost.php?p=13397753&postcount=43

Definitely has a t4b knock-off inside. I can't tell the part number on the LDR but they look correct. As does the EL panel.

Wow that Klark Teknik, 210 euros, you really can't build it yourself for that (if it is any good).
Those LDR's have Silonex markings (Advanced Photonix / LUNA), no mention of RoHS anywhere on that site :D
They do mention that the CdS cells are used in other markets, like mobile phones and flame detection. That latter category (like automotive) might not be included in the RoHS rules. Maybe that's the loophole to keep on producing them but using them in consumer electronics (even though it is called pro audio)....

Jackob,
As far as the ban to my knowledge existing designs are grandfathered in.  They better be or there is some explaining to do. I thought new designs were ok as long as it's a signed rental agreement on the option cell between end users and  sellers.

Back